• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Reduce storm dam & 1st person sea travel

JohnHamm

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Last two questions for the say....or at least for now:

How do you reduce storm damage?

Are we able to travel to other ports while in the 1st person view while standing on th deck of our ship like you could in POTC.

Thank you,
John W. Hamm

DirectSail is not yet implemented in CoAS. As far as I'm aware, nobody is working on doing that either.
Probably it can be done though.

I agreed about the storm they are a pain in the butt, everytime you enter a storm you got to wait for the lightning to hit you and sometime(if you got a small ship) it will sink it. I didn't try the CM2 yet about this maybe you guys alter the storm a bit but if not I suggest that it is done. I'm sure in real life captain's ain't waitting for the lightning to hit them to clear the storm, like a ticket to get out. :(

As for the Direct sailling you can if you got a short distance to do(ei: Antigua to Nevis) but from Nevis to Jamaica it won't work you will keep on going until you hit the edge of the map at the other end.

Cheers, :cheers

Agree on both... storms could be longer in time, but much less destructive, also lightnings hitting at a far distance would be a real show... and hurricanes, very rare and deadly (as they should)...
By the way, a heavy fog morning could follow a storm... i hope that'll eventually be possible... just my 5 cents.

We've got some stuff close to that in PotC, so I dare say it IS possible.

Agree on both... storms could be longer in time, but much less destructive, also lightnings hitting at a far distance would be a real show... and hurricanes, very rare and deadly (as they should)...
By the way, a heavy fog morning could follow a storm... i hope that'll eventually be possible... just my 5 cents.

Yeah I really would love to figure out how to reduce the damage i toyed with it some time ago with no luck, but more than that I would love to change the direct sailing, I actually had an intersting thought about modding SH4 for as an Age of sail game I mean it has great mechanics and there is already sail ships in it like the asian merchant ships and of course there is also the flying dutchman that has working cannons (essentially the took a model of a 4th rate ship and made it glow white....the doen side though is that there would be no boarding.

if u dont like storms just disable them in program/weather/init - daystorm file :urgh

i mean u can allways have heavy fog and rain without tornado,storm or lightings

if u dont like storms just disable them in program/weather/init - daystorm file :urgh

As a matter of realism I would like to keep the storms in actually I would just like them to do realistic damage, hell I wouldn't even mind having the rats still in if the didn't enjoy a diet of cannon balls, Swords and gold so much

As a matter of realism I would like to keep the storms in actually I would just like them to do realistic damage, hell I wouldn't even mind having the rats still in if the didn't enjoy a diet of cannon balls, Swords and gold so much

:rofl :rofl

Cheers, :cheers

The amount of time a storm can last for is possible, i have seen the code for it, at the moment its set to 60 seconds, i think the only thing i have seen for damage done by storms is the tornado damage, further searching should enable us to fine tune the storm and the damage to a more realistic/ballanced setting. It is one area that does need fixing because not every storm has tornado's like it does in COAS. I think fixing the tornado to be rare will require a coder to look at the weather for COAS and set the tornado through there.

Is this what i think it is, at between what time the storm can start?
Code:
Weathers[n].Hour.Min = 18.00001;
Weathers[n].Hour.Max = 22;

If so then there are a few enteries for this, we could perhaps make it 1 entery for rain and normal caribbean weather and another for storms?

I guess setting the value to be as follows should work?
Code:
Weathers[n].Hour.Min = 00.00001;
Weathers[n].Hour.Max = 00;

If the above is possible then we need to locate the way the weather is generated and make the chance of storms to less so that its not alway's raining with storms breaking out.

Hi, you can reduce storm and tornado damage in AIShip.c, just change values:

// hull damage
float fDamageHP = (fBaseShipHP / 100.0) * 1.1;<==change for 0.5 or less
Ship_ApplyHullHitpoints(rCharacter, fDamageMultiply * fDamageHP, KILL_BY_TOUCH, -1);

// sails damage
switch (MakeInt(fSailState * 2.0))
{
case 0: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.15); break;<==change for 0.08 or less
case 1: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.55); break;<==change for 0.26 or less
case 2: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 1.1); break;<==change for 0.5 or less
}

Tornado:

// hull damage
Ship_ApplyHullHitpoints(rCharacter, fTornadoDamageMultiply * (fBaseShipHP / 100.0) * 8.5, KILL_BY_TOUCH, -1);<==* 4.2, KILL_BY_TOUCH, -1);

// sails damage
switch (MakeInt(fSailState * 2.0))
{
case 0:
MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fTornadoDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 1.5);<== 0.7
break;
case 1:
MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fTornadoDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 4.5); <==2.2
break;
case 2:
MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fTornadoDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 8.5); <==4.2
break;
}
These values divide damage by two, but you also can choose "0.0001" for all of them and so practically no damages, BUT no gains of experience.

For the tornado to be rare you must change (and why not delete ) values in WhrWeather.c and Daystorm.c. For exemple:

if(CheckAttribute(&Islands[iCurLocation], "alwaysStorm"))
{
if (GetTime() >= 6.0 && GetTime() < 10.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm01";
if (GetTime() >= 10.0 && GetTime() < 18.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm02";
if (GetTime() >= 18.0 && GetTime() < 22.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm03";
if (GetTime() >= 22.0 && GetTime() <= 23.99) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm04";
if (GetTime() >= 0 && GetTime() < 6.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm04";

Can be changed in:

if(CheckAttribute(&Islands[iCurLocation], "alwaysStorm"))
{
if (GetTime() >= 6.0 && GetTime() < 7.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm01";
//if (GetTime() >= 10.0 && GetTime() < 18.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm02";
//if (GetTime() >= 18.0 && GetTime() < 22.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm03";
if (GetTime() >= 22.0 && GetTime() <= 22.10) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm04";
//if (GetTime() >= 0 && GetTime() < 6.0) Islands[iCurLocation].QuestlockWeather = "Storm04";

And in DayStorm:

Weathers[n].id = "Storm01";
Weathers[n].Hour.Min = 6.00001;
Weathers[n].Hour.Max = 7;

Weathers[n].id = "Storm04";
Weathers[n].Hour.Min = 22.0;
Weathers[n].Hour.Max = 22.10;

You should'nt delete files in DayStorm, only report the same values.

For rain stop at the end of the storm I think I can code it and I've to verify that before storm is rare

Regards

P.S.: "Storm0X_add" is for tornado and must be changed too

Nice finds on the storm code, Luke! Thanks for sharing the info.

Cap'n Drow

Back