• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Rebalanced "initItems.c" discussion

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
As of 23rd September, the tizona (blade16) is a lot more powerful than it used to be. Meanwhile, the light tizona (blade47) is relatively low power, as it was before, but is more expensive than the regular tizona.

The excuse for the higher price is that it's supposed to be decorative and rarer, and indeed it is rarer - rarity 0.05 compared to its previous 0.15, while the regular tizona is also 0.15. So it's just as well that military weapons for boarders have been disabled because the light tizona, a modest power and formerly modest price weapon, was the standard sword for low level Spanish boarders, meaning this "rare" sword would have been rather common. It's probably going to be common in later periods anyway because the regular tizona is only valid until "Golden Age of Piracy" whereas the light tizona is valid in all periods.

Weapon prices have been reduced, presumably in an attempt to prevent pirates like me from looting them and selling them for profit. That won't do much as they aren't a major source of income anyway, though it does mean blacksmiths charge less to polish them. The tizona previously had a base price of 711, now it's 295, which made my purse happy and is probably why the Havana blacksmith is grumpy. xD

Yes, the light tizona description speaks of inscriptions engraved along the blade thst makes it sound very much like a ceremonial weapon, its price before did not reflect that and it was priced like a common blade. The inventory pic reflects that as well. No objection if someone wants to lower the price, but the new one is consistent with the other engraved fancy blades.

The tizona was one of a small number of non low-tier swords that I increased stats on, trying to keep a progression of all sword types available (ie, it was increased to be a stronger mid tier sword of its style of staight blade). The other main example is the venetian navy cutlas, which got a slight boost to make it be a bit more of an upgrade from boson's choice (before there was little difference), so that the cutlas style of blades had a bit more of a top quality model available (if still less good thsn the high end non cutlas blades, since cutlases are themselves not the highest end). The effect was to create a progression from low to high of all styles of blade.

The prices were more brought into consistency with top quality reasonably priced swords, rather than decreased as a fundamental matter. Before blades had no consistency in prices, sometimes a top sword was 400, sometimes 2000, and it was not justified by the decorative nature or much generally. So I brought the balance to the old reasonably priced swords, then increased the price of swords whose descriptions meant they had jewels or special engravings that made them valuable aesthetically (light tizona, some of the jewel encrusted french swords, etc). Meanwhile, I kept these prices reasonabke in relation to ship prices.

The primary prupose was not to reduce loot value, but it was a nice side effect, especially since the player will now be looting some additional armor from AI (most armor prices also brought down to reasonable values, but the higher end armor remaining expensive, and generally even at the mid level representing additional loot value). The blacksmith shouldn't be a major concern, because there were always better blades available at these prices in the old system as well, since the prices were all over the map.

The light tizona was a good low level Spanish sword. At mid level they had the tizona, at high level they had the cup-hilt rapier, and the ceremonial sword awarded for a high naval promotion was the Moorish sabre.

Now they have a low level sword which is ceremonial, expensive and rare (unless you're playing "Colonial Powers" or later, in which case it probably isn't rare), two high level swords and no mid-level sword. If we ever resurrect military weapons for boarding, Spain now has nothing suitable for low level boarders. And, as a side effect, it means I need to rethink the swords I've given to quest captains in "Ardent" because that also assumes that the light tizona is low level and common, so a suitable weapon for the prison commandant; the regular tizona is mid level, so a suitable weapon for the snow brig captain; and the cup-hilt rapier is high level, therefore appropriate for the payroll ship captain.

I strongly recommend leaving "initItems.c" as it is in the 28th July version.

@Grey Roger they have plenty of suitable swords if we resurrect soldier weapons for boarding, far more so than in the past with the buffing of some standardized low tier weapons that can be entered into the distribution. They may not be the same as before for every one, so a few solider weapons would have to be redifined, but that won't be much work and can come when and if that system is revived. Actually, the spanish ones might be the only example I think, so if we revert those two swords thst wouldn't even be the case.

If you want, I have no objection to you decreasing the price for the light tizona. It will still not be suitable for a prison commandant or a low level weapon (just read its description or look at its pic--it always was a luxury weapon, not sure why the gold cost now somewhat reflecting that is the major issue). Similarly, you can decrease the stats of the regular tizona if you like.

Those two changes I have no objection to, but going back to July 28th items would be a critical mistake, and destroy the ability to balance the new armor addition, as the low tier buffing is essential.

Moreover, it would reintroduce countless inconsistencies and errors that were eliminated. A kilij that was marked high level but was terrible in stats. Asian weapons more common than western ones. Prices that seemed determined on a whim ad hoc for each weapon with no consistency with each other or the value of the weapon.

So I strongly disagree with going back to the previous version just because a couple of changes are disliked, instead, as needed, the new one can be altered to fit what is needed, while keeping all the improvements.

Those two swords can be whatever stats you like without causing any problem to the genral system, beyond introducing an inconsistency between the light tizona's price and its description/pic if the price is lowered, which would be ok.

Last edited:
Ok, here is a modified file.

I reduced the stats of the tizona a bit, about halfway between the old and new. It needed some buffing because of the general tightening of weapon tiers (again, made necessary by the new balance of having the AI equip armor and so allowing them to roll lower blades to compensate, and furthering the end of pushing a bit more of fencing difference to skills over the particular sword).

I restored the old price of the light tizona, so it goes from 475 to the old 175.

I kept the increase in min level to 12 for the tizona. The old system had the light tizona at min level 9, and the regular at min level 10. Correcting things like that was a broader project for the reworked item file, and if the light tizona and regular tizona are to be in a progression from one another, it should be clear that the old level difference of 9 and 10 was clearly an error.

Possible later work needed: The light tizona will probably need a new description and inventory pic, one that doesn't scream "expensive, fancy, engraved sword," now that we've reverted my price change for it.

Attachments

• initItems.c
    317.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Going to explain a few things here that may be relevant to future questions that may arise when I am gone about the item rebalance, since about to go off for a crazy working weekend.

The upgrading of swords to tighten tiers was generally very moderate, even the lowest swords just got about a +4 damage and a bit higher increase in their block/piercing. Then by low-mid tier it was half or less than half of that, and after that mid-high blades weren't touched unless a specific reason (like making the venetian cutlass a little better to offer a slightly high end cutlas and distinguish from boson's choice).

Relative strengths between swords were generally preserved, except for a specific reason (like the Kilij being crazy weak for its min level)

Prices were generally rebalanced based on old prices of the more reasonably priced swords, with ceremonial or jeweled weapons bucking the trend to be more expensive

Guns were made to have far more tradeoffs, and the gigantic caliber pistols had their accuracy reduced (given the huge caliber, this only makes sense). Previous balance formed the basis, but slight adjustments around it to make most guns have some use and better reflect their thematic properties.

min level for the lowest tier group of 4-5 guns and their rarity isn't actually meant as a min level (since all NPCs basically exceed their level), but rather to properly order them when the list of possible weapons are made. Basically, the flintlock pistol having min level 1 there and not rare at all is the "backup" weapon if misses are rolled on all the others, who should come up more often than their rarity suggest because they line up first.

min level on armor and rarity has nothing to do with how armor is equiped by AI, which is handled by a table changing depending on level (so changes are more gradual in the percentage assignments shifting among armor types as level goes up than could otherwise be achieved) so the rarities handle the limits on stores only. Prices are shifted where all but the best two armors are much cheaper, both to make them sensible against sword prices and to balance the new loot amounts.

Min levels were slightly adjusted where they were very weird before, like with the light tizona being min level 9 and the tizona previously being min level 10, too little difference, so I adjusted the min levels to make a slightly larger difference there.

Those are the things that immediately come to mind. Generally, the goals of the project were to bring things into consistency, and tighten things up in weapon tiers (again, very moderately), to allow for the expanded weapon selection of the AI coupled with the armor changes and balancing against their increased ability to soak damage.

Anyway, the above posted file should handle the tizona for now, though like I said we should consider getting it a new pic and description now that we've reverted the price change. It really screams highly engraved luxury weapon right now, which is why I had originally raised the price, though I understand bringing it back down. At any rate, this should handle it for immediate needs.

Finally, please remember these rebalances, like the AI armor system they help balance, are part of the experimental changes, not the fixes only. So there is no point to talking about throwing everything out and returning to July 28th version on this, if you want that, that is what the fixes only version will be. Instead, we can work to make this rebalance as good as it can be to achieve its ends (tightened weapon tiers, balance with armor, and consistency work to make things more sensible). Because although I'm sure a few changes can be tweaked further, there are also tons of good improvements and corrections of mistakes in the prior version. :)

File to use is still in previous post above, which should resolve the current issue.

Last edited:
haven't been able to read this all. @Grey Roger can you confirm when this is fixed?

If the tizona has not been properly restored to its original stats then it has not been fixed. So far I have only noticed the effect on the Spanish swords as those are directly involved in my storyline - swords of other nations have yet to be checked. The prices are apparently not going to be returned to original levels so swords - and polishing of swords - are going to be cheaper.

Possibly get a new interface picture for the tizona, not the light tizona. The tizona picture is probably the original one from the stock game, so rather than depicting an inferior weapon, it's just an outdated lower grade picture.

@Grey Roger I see a few options, which would you think would be better?

1. Change prices of weapons back to what it originally was
2. Keep the prices as they are now and do nothing else
3. Keep the prices as they are now but change the formula for repairing weapons so thats a bit more costly.

Other ofcourse can reply to it too :)

That is specifically what Tingyun DID change. If I read his posts correctly anyway. :confused:
I reduced the stats of the tizona a bit, about halfway between the old and new.
If the tizona has not been properly restored to its original stats then it has not been fixed.
:no
Pieter Boelen said:
You are talking as if there has been a final decision. There wasn't. :no
@Tingyun appears quite insistent. ;)
@Grey Roger I see a few options, which would you think would be better?

1. Change prices of weapons back to what it originally was
2. Keep the prices as they are now and do nothing else
3. Keep the prices as they are now but change the formula for repairing weapons so thats a bit more costly.

Other ofcourse can reply to it too :)
If original prices were inconsistent among themselves then perhaps:
4. Start with the revised prices and double them back up, so that in general they're back to the original level, but tweaks between swords to re-arrange their relative values are preserved. Effectively it's option 1.5, i.e. half way between options 1 and 2.

@Tingyun appears quite insistent. ;)
Eventually the community has the biggest say. And as long as it is me creating the EXEs, it'll be me having the final say.

But really I have no intention of getting heavily involved in the specifics here.
Surely it can't be THAT difficult to get reasonable item stats?

If @Tingyun's changes do make sense for general play, but NOT for your storyline, we could do what I did for @Jack Rackham after I balanced all the gun stats.
In other words: Use custom stats for your own storyline. I'm not saying that is the best option. But I am saying it would be possible.

I don't know enough about this subject atm to give feedback about it. so I would like to hear what @Tingyun thinks about the idea of @Grey Roger .
I believe tingyun doesn't have that much time at the moment. Maybe @Pillat could help with this. It's just a matter of changing some numbers in the initItems file and he probably has something to say about it also :).

You mean tweaking weapon stats in inititems? I already did that for myself, because e.g. the English Officer Sabre was pretty powerful in the last version I played. Now it is somewhere around midhigh, outrun by most blades enemy captains are carrying. So yeah, I could try to balance them out (again)

Ok, I only have a few minutes, but the init_items is ceretainly NOT in need of the overhaul Grey Roger supposes, and indeed to do so at this stage would scrap much of the experiments.

First, @Grey Roger , you describe me as "quite insistent." I moved the stats for tizona halfway between your prefereed and my prefered values, and gave you exactly what you want on light tizona's price (despite me hating that change). If that is "quite insistent", I'd hate to hear what you'd call a "fair compromise."

And if your storyline is unbalanced by a measly +2 to damage on one sword, then you have the most subtle balancing I've ever seen in a game.

As for the blacksmith costs, they are in characterutilite, and easy to tweak. Again, sword costs themselves should not be returned to the old inconsistent values, and should NOT be increased. Swords are finally in a reasonable relation to ship prices and each other, moreover, the player now gets to loot armor.

Probably what Grey Roger is most noticing is NOT the effects of the experiment, which mostly brought sword costs into line with the reasonably priced swords (ie, there were always swords of great caliber with similar prices, this just made all swords consistent with those), but the effects of the 50% reduction in sword cost that we ALL discussed and agreed to about a month ago, because land loot was found too profitable. Anyone else remember that? We all discussed it and agreed land loot was too profitable. So, adjust blacksmith stats, but don't mess with the now reasonable and consistent prices.

@Levis @Pieter Boelen the problems Grey Roger complains of are not problems, they are the express purposes of the experiment.

Purpose 1) "tightened weapon tiers" to explore the idea Pieter proposed of having less dramatic differences between sword stats.

Grey Roger asks that the swords be "returned to their proper stats" and describes how he hasn't looked at my items file and so is unaware of what I might have done to the other poor, helpless swords. Well, I described it explicitly in my detailed post above, explaining all my changes and the principles behind them so that I wouldn't have to take time off from working to answer the same objections over and over.

Low tier swords were given around a +4 to damage and some boost to block and piercing, mid-low tier got about half that, by upper tier no changes unless needed to correct something (ie Kilij had crazy low stats for min level, venetian cutlas needed to be distinguished a bit from boson's choice and give the cutlas line a slightly better upgrade)

This is by design. So when I am "quite insistent" to keep some of the changes to the tizona stats, and still compromise to give Grey Roger half of the change he is asking for, I am making sure the tizona remains in line with the new balance. The Tizona originally had a slightly higher boost to fill a niche role in the straight swords, that has been entirely reverted per Grey Roger's request, it is now exactly as before just in the new tightened weapon tiers, which REQUIRE a slight boost to stats to maintain its position.

A new balance that works GREAT in playtests. I fought for over a week all over with it, the weapon variety is great, the sword stats are fully reasonable. That they are changed in a systemic, sensible way to tighten differences a tiny bit (not much, really), does not make the old stats "proper" and demand a return. It also does not unbalance anything, the differences are too small to mess up storylines.

2) balance the addition of armor.

Does anyone care to guess what would happen if AI armor were introduced into the game, often used by high level opponents, and nothing else was done? The single largest increase in game DIFFICULTY perhaps in years is what would result.

So the experiments want to AVOID that, which means thinking up a creative solution that avoids unbalancing combat. Since higher level opponents would be most likely to have armor, and will take less damage, it makes sense to reduce their damage dealing a bit.

Which becomes an OPPORTUNITY, because before sword variety was little, go up in levels a few times and they disappear. So instead, we can keep all the swords around, by giving high level AI both a chance to get srmor and a chance to get a lower level sword, by removing the min cap. So on both ends equipment variety increases, which is GREAT.

However, the nerf would be too much, so we need to tighten the weapon tiers a bit to account for this. Hence, above changes.

The end result is the perfect union of two goals, achieving integration of ai armor, balancing against that, expanding weapon variety, etc.

Now, will there be room for tweaking? Certainly. Maybe the lowest tier swords deserve an additional slight bonus, if it is found combat against higher level opponents is getting easier. Or their armor chance could be increased, which is the same result.

But going back to the old "proper" stats as they are called would be a mistake, and defeat the purpose of two major aims.

Ok, so I probably sound a bit frustrated. I am. Not because of disagreement or people not liking a change, but because at this point it is complaining of change for anti-changes's sake, without considering the detailed description I wrote several posts above where I explained the governing philosophy behind all of this.

And most importantly, without viewing this as what it is--an experimental rebalance aimed at specific goals. Very interesting goals that could work out, and be great for the game. And should be tested and played and enjoyed to see if it can work on its own terms, rather than just disgareed with because hey look the stats have changed.

So if you want to even try having AI armor, expanded weapon variety at all levels, and the before discussed goal of pushing some differences from weapons into skills, then this should be tried out.

Look, my work is crazy right now. I fully expect someone else to tweak and rebalance. But to propose a total overhaul done right now without first understanding the reasons behind these changes, just hack away because someone took a look at the item stats and doesn't like them with no attempt to understand why, that is disheartening to say the least.

If someone wants to do a total overhaul with the items file and change how the weapon tier tightening works, then they should do what I did--carefully examine the armor tables for levels in LAi-equip that I made, think about the chances of certain high level opponents rolling certain swords based on the formulas in there, figure out what would keep balance while maintaining interesting stats, spend hours upon hours changing and reediting them, and then spend a week testing to see if balance has indeed been maintained and tweaking in response.

Because that is the level of thought that has gone into this balance.

Or, what makes more sense to me, don't propose an instant total overhaul of a well-thought out system, instead play, see if maybe sword A should get a boost here, or sword B there, and make the thing work better.

Part of fair game design to modders should be trying out things, and not taking one look at something expressly marked experimental without trying to understand it and saying "nah, revert basically everything."

I am sure some people will say my above description is unfair. Yet I am certain anyone who reads the full text of what has been posted will understand where I am coming from.

The way this has been received from some is quite sad to me--the knee-jerk reaction and proposal to immediately overhaul an experiment without trying to understand it--and it is unfair to the huge amounts of time I spent trying to achieve this new balance. With my current work schedule, I can't afford to take hours away from my sleep to come here and feel bad about things. I'm going to steer clear of the board until at least my project is done.

@Tingyun no problem, like I said pieter and I don't know enough about this subject at the moment thats why I ask for you to look at it. I don't ask you to change it back or anything. What I mostly ask is to give your opinion to what @Grey Roger is saying.
I'm going to move this topic to the brainstorming so we can talk about it easier. For now we are not going to change it unless we get more feedback.

Well Tinygun. First, Most of the blades handle now much better. You also notice the Fencing Skill much more now, IDK if its related with those changes.
However, there are a few things I like to change based of the stats certain blades hat before:

1. All promotional blades are faaar too weak now. They all need a serious buff compared to other blades. The Corsair's Pride was one of the strongest blades ingame before, and it was quite a way to get a rank where you get it. Now it is somewhere in the middle, and I would probably give it away to one of my officers. A NO-GO for me.

2. Some "Aggressive" Blades are completely out of purpose now. Best example is the Shellcup Falchion. In earlier versions, this blade could cut every foe in tiny pieces after a few hits, at the cost of defense. Now it has no defense and isn't really stronger than other blades so its useless. Same is for the boarding and felling axe, they should really hurt.

How about this: I will tweak some of the blades and guns I consider unbalanced (either downwards or upwards), and I will upload the file here, and then we can look together and discuss if those changes are in our all interest or not. Sound good?

@Pillat perfect, that is exactly the kind of well-thought out changes that I would love to see made. :)

Pillat, actually, I'd be completely happy if you handled it with your best judgement, you don't need to wait for me to discuss every change (work is really crazy and I don't want to slow the process down). I fully trust you will do a BETTER job than I did tweaking individual swords, because your experience playing is more. I only objected to a reversion of everything without first understanding my reasons. The kind of tweaking you have in mind is wonderful, and I am grateful for any work you do.

So I am very happy to turn over to @Pillat for balancing now. :)

EDIT: here is an explanation of some of the things that are odd at first glance, like guns and armor: WIP - Rebalanced "initItems.c" discussion | PiratesAhoy! Also, the tizona changes are in the file attached one post above that. You can find the armor tables for AI in LAi_equip, it bypasses min level and rarity entirely in order to get more finetuned distribution across levels, which you should feel free to adjust. :)

Again, please don't wait for my input given my schedule, I just wanted people to understand the goals before changing, you clearly do so I fully support all the changes you will make. Thank you for doing this! :)

Last edited:
Purpose 1) "tightened weapon tiers" to explore the idea Pieter proposed of having less dramatic differences between sword stats.
For the record, while I did express curiosity about if and how that could work, I suggested it merely as a Build 15 experiment.

Back