• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ravens Cry

Yeah, I saw that mate, GTA was never really my kind of game. It looks like they are going with the typical "flashy lights and shiny objects" console marketing strategy, all form and no substance. :rolleyes:

I'm interested to know if it will play in a similar fashion to PoTC. Sailing in a worldmap or not, meaning yu cansail between islands without world map, smuggling, leveling up and abilities, loads of side quests/main quests, not being on rails...etc etc. Basically being allowed to do what you want. If so, this is a game I'll definitely buy. Could do with a HD PoTC type game :sail

Aye mate, that's an answer to a question most of us want to know. We are still awaiting a reply to THIS.

I can't believe there is no responce after all this time...

I would be mad if they do not respond even when they said they would agree to this. <_<

I just hope it follows the same style as PoTC, and that they don't mess everything up. I've been dooped too many times into thinking the game will be awesome, but then let down upon release, thus realising it was overhyped just for sales sake. :doff

Well, the game is in development, they can't exactly give away everything they are currently working on. Plus I am sure there are marketing and promotional deals to consider, and that's when lawyers get involved. Once that happens, what would normally only take a few weeks, can end up taking months or even years. Once the lawyers give the OK, I am sure we will hear form them. There is really no point getting mad, it's just the way things work. :shrug

Aye, but for me, I don't like the way things work xD: That's life though.

Bloody Lawyers. Always slowing things down :rolleyes:

If all is well with the game, the games I'll be getting will leave me broke. Depends, do I buy all these games like Forza 4, Halo 4, Halo Anniversary, MW3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Raven's Cry...and drain my bank account, or actually do something clever with the money some way or another. Unfortunately, I'm not rich enough to do both options :) Again, that's life with the "you can't have everything" thing again...

I like the dark, moody colour choices. :yes But going supernatural with a pirate game is getting a bit old.

As an aside, has anybody noticed an uptick in sim forums lately of PoTC being mentioned? The only problem is, most of the talk is negative. It is being labelled the de facto pansy naval simulator for some reason. It's being compared to Ship Simulator: Extremes which, after having a look at the demo, isn't a good thing. SS:modding is just a giant bug, for one.

No worries, though - I dealt with the offending instigators and was subsequently banned. :cheeky

POTC is being called a Naval Simulator? That means POTC is no longer just another game. I take that as a high compliment. :cheers Yes POTC is buggy, with some of the bugs being self inflicted. But they are being worked out.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Simulator That should be in the forum title somewhere.

Actually, we have been promoting it as a ship simulation on ModDB already: "Although the game is called "Pirates of the Caribbean" and a lot of movie-specific content has been added, that is not all that's been done. Better still, there is a lot to enjoy even for those people who don't much care for the movies and it is entirely possible to play the game as a fully realistic period naval simulation, rather than a movie tie-in." http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

Here are some more Screenshots from "Raven's Cry".

Looks a little bit like "Diablo" with a pirate setting to me.

3961613162643935.jpg

6631643932346166.jpg

3539666662613565.jpg

Thanks Jack Black, I added them to the gallery for the front page. Maybe when I get over my disappointment with the direction this game is going, I will actually post them! The graphics do look decent, although there does appear to be a bit too much bloom. All the screen shots they have released so far have got console platformer written all over them, and that tells me just what kind of audience they are aiming for with this one. :rolleyes:

True.
All the screenshots were taken from XBox 360 Version. I hope they will do a little more graphic work on the PC version and don't porting it 1:1 from console. But I do not know if I like this bird view graphic style. :shrug

I agree mate third person can get annoying, it is useful for somethings though, such as controlling a group of people in an RTS environment. As far as I know though, there is no RTS aspect to Raven's Cry. There is a lot about the screen shots that remind me of Pirates of Black Cove, although these do look quite a bit improved. I am really curious to hear what graphics engine this is. The first person perspective is a much better way to put you more into the character your playing, and it makes the game feel much more immersive.

Yep. I pretty much hate the birds eye view to be honest :/ I hope it was going to have a camera view to that of 3rd person like in PoTC. Although, is it possible for the PC version to change the angles with a mod? That would be great if they were sticking to the birds eye view and that the mod wouldn't make gameplay difficult.

I guess I'm just jumping to conclusions since I'm not a fan of the camera angle. I'm just making a comment as to whether it could be possible, based on circumstances at the time of release, possible to change the camera angle either through an inbuilt option, or resorting to mods. It could be easy to mod, or could not be. Might not be possible to change the camera angle through mods if the bird's eye view is cemented. All this we shall know when the game is released. Hopefully it can be.

Asquinol, nice find albeit I see Raven's cry going the same way as Risen 2 :( For the life of me I have no idea why they make pirate games this way now. Unless it's simply about appealing to the console crowd. If that's the case then they really don't hold a high opinion of them.

I like this quote from the link though:

TopWare says Raven's Cry will "crack history wide open and retell the Caribbean's darkest chapter with an authenticity unseen in today's Hollywood films, showing this period of vengeance, violence, and greed unchained through a more honest, blood-spattered lens than ever before." Why Chris has special abilities like "cursed Voodoo Charms," then, is something of a mystery.

All the stuff about authenticity is in a DLC. :p I don't trust TopWare after all the crap they pulled with DLC for the second Two Worlds game.

Back