• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PotC Build Mod Ship Cleanup

CMV3.2 is over 6 GB's now and thats of the ships all having 3 hull folder's each for there textures, we don't have as many ships as POTC but because of those 3 hull folder's the download size is big although when compressed its down to less than 1 GB so not to bad there.

Couldn't you complie the ships you remove and make them a addon for those who still want them. That way you don't need to be so fussy on what you remove. Just a suggestion.

Couldn't you complie the ships you remove and make them a addon for those who still want them. That way you don't need to be so fussy on what you remove. Just a suggestion.
Preferrably not, because keeping additional downloads up-to-date along with the rest of the code is a genuine pain.

well, i know that the seemingly double bermuda sloop is in fact not a double. one of them has cannon locators on the swivel guns.

two of the brigs seem the same to me. both black/qhite, with the same rig.

i don't like corvettes 2 and 3, personally. the crimson blood, while being my personal ship, looks an awful lot like the pirate corvette. not sure what to do with that one. i do know that the CB looks significantly different up close; different colors. there's also the problem of the national ships. they're a nice addition, but add a lot to the total amount of corvettes, manowars, frigs etc.

the fleut 2's hull seems identical to the fleut of war, or at least almost. would make sense, realistically speaking, unless they were part of a navy. the same goes for pinnace 2 and it's war version.

i don't really like the frigate1 and the NK frig, when comparing them to the rest.

what's the difference between galleon 2 and 3? galleons 5W and 5FW seem identical as well.

heavy lineship 1 and 2 seem identical. are all these identical ones a mistake in the compilation of images or are these ships in the build mod twice?

don't like the heavy warship. it's just an ugly-looking thing to me. i'm not sure if i dislike the lineships 1, 2, 3, 4 and 47, but it's color schemes are a bit ugly in general. i don't mind the manowars at all, color or shape. maybe because i associate those with HERE COMES THE MONSTAAAAAAAAR :p

a lot of the luggers seem very similar to me. most of them are painted blue. could lose a few of those.

convoiship's an ugly bugger. same for the battleship above it. then again, not all ships looked good back then. lineships? i dunno. don't favor them in particular.

many of the RN ships are identical to others in the collection, or at least very similar. would be worthwhile picking out the doubles.

i never liked the shnyavas. too much canvas for such a narrow hull. sloop 3's an ugly one too. don't like the battlegalleon. or any of the SP ships, actually. but yeah, the SP's are naval. heavy frigate and heavy warship seem like doubles, texture-wise. i've seen the texture of schooner 47 before as well.

think i saw the black/white steam frigate 3 times.

waller pinnace is doubled. don't like any of the war galleons, which are also very similar in texture to other ships. i think they even use the same model as other ones i saw. only difference is the rig. all warships besides 11 are pretty ugly. some of the xebec textures aren't that nice either, but there's not that many of them to begin with, unless i missed a few.

well, i know that the seemingly double bermuda sloop is in fact not a double. one of them has cannon locators on the swivel guns.
Very true. I wonder if someone could remove the name from her stern and then we can let both models use the same texture and save some space.

two of the brigs seem the same to me. both black/qhite, with the same rig.
Brig3 and Brig3_44? I see what you mean. The former is a bit more yellow and the latter a bit more gray, but still very similar.
Not to mention, we've got the black-and-white US_SloopofWar47 as well. We could drop both regular brigs and keep just the US one.

the fleut 2's hull seems identical to the fleut of war, or at least almost. would make sense, realistically speaking, unless they were part of a navy.
They are pretty much the same and have the same texture too, just a couple of additional cannons and different rigging.
If we want to keep the Fleut of War, we should replace the Fleut2's hull texture with another fleut's.

i don't really like the frigate1 and the NK frig, when comparing them to the rest.
I want to replace the NK frig's texture with the frigate3 texture and remove the frigate3.
In effect, we lose the NK frigate texture and keep the frigate3 one.

what's the difference between galleon 2 and 3? galleons?
Galleon 2 and 3 have different textures. #2 is blue with light wood, #3 is more reddish.
The 5W and 5FW are exactly the

galleons 5W and 5FW seem identical as well.
The 5W and 5FW are exactly the same model and are only duplicated through code; as such, they don't take up additional space, apart from a few KB's code.
The model's been given three different sets of stats for historical/gameplay purposes, if I understand correctly.
Or something like that anyway. :wacko:

heavy lineship 1 and 2 seem identical. are all these identical ones a mistake in the compilation of images or are these ships in the build mod twice?
#1 is greenish with brown wood (Dutch), while #2 is more bright blue (French). Admittedly, they do look quite similar.

a lot of the luggers seem very similar to me. most of them are painted blue. could lose a few of those.
Indeed we've got a lot of those; I wonder which ones we should drop though...

convoiship's an ugly bugger. same for the battleship above it.
I don't think the Convoiship is that bad; don't like that battleship though.

many of the RN ships are identical to others in the collection, or at least very similar. would be worthwhile picking out the doubles.
Indeed; we REALLY need to tone done on the black-and-yellow ships. Especially since we've got so many custom RN models now.

don't like the battlegalleon. or any of the SP ships, actually. but yeah, the SP's are naval.
I agree on most SP ships, though I like the SP_Galeon50 and SP_Pinnace50 textures a lot.
And the SP_BattleGalleon is a completely custom model, so I reckon we should keep that one.

think i saw the black/white steam frigate 3 times.
There is the US_SteamFrigate and US_SteamFrigate2.
These are doubled through code, so they can be available for purchse from Vanderdecken, but also appear at sea in the last periods.
The US_Constitution is almost the same, except she isn't a steamship. Same texture though, because the steamships are remodels of the Constitution.

(this in regard to your first reply)

well, i agree on the changes you mentioned above. the problem with removing whole ships is that many of them were made by forum members, so quite some work would be lost.

taking a closer look at the luggers, the choice seems to be between
lugger 1 - CT
lugger 5 - 6, although 5 is a recolor of 2. might want to remove 5 for that very reason.

(RE: your second response)

i took a closer look at the convoiship there. i thought it's texture quality was that of the AOP manowar, but it wasn't at closer inspection.

i can agree on the SP galleon, but the pinnace is just one i dislike. no problem really, it's a matter of opinion.

I hope you are using the GMViewer to get a second look at the ships you mentioned. Going off my 256x256 pics can be misleading. I have full size pics of many of these ships due to Pieters insistence. For instance, although I have never seen the convoiship in game, I would like to keep it. Too many ships are the same ship with slightly different paint.

yeah, like i said, it was nicer upon closer inspection. i hadn't seen the details, however.

i like the different paintjobs. i mean, why not? you can pick your ship's appearance if you don't like it, and it brings some variety.

You mentioned heavylineship1 & 2. I just looked at them and they are pinnaces, with one having green trim and one having blue trim, and different figureheads.

I would like to see some differences besides paint. It is nice to see variety in game, but when doing the pics it got boring seeing the same ship over and over.

They're not textured, are they"? Same problem here; no idea how to fix that. :modding

what kind of historical inaccuracies? i remember giving quite a bit of input on that, although that didn't include the newer ships. i do have to say that the 1690's have a very odd collection though.
Sorry I missed this post earlier. By historical inaccuracies, I meant there are some ships which, to me, are very much related to (a) specific period(s) in which they should exist.
However, some of these ships seem to be very general and appear in periods 1 to 5, say, when they are definitely NOT supposed to. (e.g. many stock ships)
But I'm mostly going by instinct, and what ships in each period should look like. And input from others would be very helpful; I'm sure I'll miss something. xD:

tell me which ships seem incorrect to you, and i'll give comments wherever i can. i've got a huge supply of books on the subject here.

The worst offenders seemed to be some stock ships, such as Battleships and Frigates.
They appear in periods 1-5, (0 being the first period), but I'm thinking that they shouldn't appear in the last two, since they don't look like late 18th C to me.
You mentioned the 1690's collection of ships; which ones there do you think look odd?

Well, I'm going to display my ignorance and ask when did frigates appear? I know they were around in the 1800s and 1700s, but the 1600s? Also, I am under the impression that the English Fast Galleon (galleon5)is an early ship. Was it around in the 1690s?

I think frigates appeared first in the early 1600's (I'm not certain), and continued to evolve ever since. The stock game 'Frigate' looks like an early frigate-type vessel, and not that of the late 18th/early 19th centuries which make up the last two game periods.
As for Galeon5, I believe she's a very early ship of the Tudor/Elizabethan eras (15th to late16th Centuries). So that type of ship was probably very scarce after the early 1600's.

i agree with you on the most part. however, the stock battleships and frigates don't really correspond with that many historical designs in the first place. at least not completely. they belong in a period from roughly 1640 to the early 1700's, taken loosely. this is unfortunate, since there's many of them, and they'd be rather crammed together when put in such a short time period. technically, frigates ARE quite old and excisted until quite late, but the early ones looked far more like ships such as the pinnace, and the later ones were flush-decked. the stock ships just don't quite fit into the whole picture. you can tell a ship's age quite well by looking at the prow; on galleons and all related designs, it's straight. the more the prow is curved upwards, the later it was built. take a look at the HMS Victory, for one.

caravel's don't belong in the 1690's. they still appeared mid-1500's at the latest. some floating museum-piece galleons might remain, but that's it. though i must say that i'm seeing an awful lot of them in 1690. i'm thinking the stock galleon could still fit in, for the sake of it being a strong and practical design. unfortunately, vigila mendez is in posession of a caravela latina, so that might need changing into something else. a barque, maybe? i do think his ship is the only caravel out there though in that age. also, there's the matter of quite a few mid-1700 ships bobbing about. i dunno how far this time period goes, but the ones with a huge amount of staysails were only made until the mid-1700's. a few examples would be the frigate you use to escape oxbay, some of the brigs, and the baltimore schooner.

then again, limiting the ships to certain eras like we are talking about would also make the variety quite scarce, which wouldn't be a good thing.

caravel's don't belong in the 1690's. they still appeared mid-1500's at the latest. some floating museum-piece galleons might remain, but that's it. though i must say that i'm seeing an awful lot of them in 1690. ................ unfortunately, vigila mendez is in posession of a caravela latina, so that might need changing into something else. a barque, maybe? i do think his ship is the only caravel out there though in that age. ................then again, limiting the ships to certain eras like we are talking about would also make the variety quite scarce, which wouldn't be a good thing.

There is a caravel in the Bartolomeu Story that is given to the main character ( player ) and is a major part of the Quest.

The story is set in 1660's

:mm

Does anyone know why I cant look at people models in the GM viewer? :shrug

for PotC

In the GM Viewer -- in the section --- Select TX Directory where GM textures placed

Select the directory -- Resource \textures \ Characters

Then under Select GM file -- find the character model you want to look at and it should be ok.

not sure what he folders are for COAS

EDIT : Just checked it is the same directories in COAS ;)

:cheers

Back