• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Pirate captain's proposal

Laurens DG

Powder Monkey
You know how when you enter a tavern and another hero might approach you with a proposition to talk on his ships? Have anyone experienced a situation when everyone stops doing this, at low level( I am level 5 atm)?
It seems that no one wants to play anymore. They don't have a suggestion even If I ask them .

If anyone can confirm whether after asking them about a venture (Dialog reads " What about a deal?") you can ask them the same question again or they just say "I said my piece of mind for the day" ...

Regards

They used to ask me a lot but that has tapered off and I very rarely get asked now at level 22. I never took them up on their offers though.

Its my second campaign now. It was similar as you say in my first, you get a lot of them on regular basis. They do reduce after you get a higher level, true.
This time there is none for months and I am very low level still. Did only two at lvl 2 I suppose.

I could recall a post by Mk or someone else about how he would refuse their offer on the deck and then kill them. It gets bugged this way. That is what I am getting at. Whether it got bugged or not.
Tested with some cheats if it related to leadership, nation relations, luck, or ship level and there seems to be no difference.

Not much on the forum about it, hence the thread if it is indeed some obscure thing.

Thnks anyhow,

Regards

Its not bugged, but you can break future captain quests by doing what MK stated by attacking them in quest or outside the quest.

The quest is tied to three factors without going into the technical script code.
One is your hero character level, the second the other hero character level (as they are your "competitors") and final factor based on randomization.
I don't remember the personal character level cut off from the quest code but I believe is level 25 unless it was modified in GOF 2.0+
The game checks each time you enter a tavern and compares your level to the level of the other hero captain IF he/she spawned in the tavern.
If you are lower than his character level and under the cut off, he will approach you.
If you are not, you may see the captain "disappear" like a ghost as you enter (as he is not seated), but this can also be caused by the maximum number of models in the tavern at one time.
Beyond this, I would have to look at the script code, but that is the basis for answering your question.

Elaborate and punctual again, thanks. :onya
Good to know is not bugged. I am lower lvl than most of the other heroes though. Just by comparing the former and latter campaign it is radically different. It will pop up eventually then.

Regards

Do you by any chance mean higher rather than lower? my older campaign I am lvl 26 and still get quite often offers from other captains which are lower than my lvl, almost all of them.

Last edited:
Elaborate and punctual again, thanks. :onya
Good to know is not bugged. I am lower lvl than most of the other heroes though. Just by comparing the former and latter campaign it is radically different. It will pop up eventually then.

Regards

Do you by any chance mean higher rather than lower? my older campaign I am lvl 26 and still get quite often offers from other captains which are lower than my lvl, almost all of them.

I honestly cannot remember without checking the code.
Its either PChar => or =<, but I the rational is still the same.
You do have to be comparable in level, and late in game when you are very experienced, most NPC captains start lagging WAY behind, and the quests stop as a result of when the AI checks the code.
I good way to check is to pull up the competitor menu, using F10.
This way you can see the "Top 15" Heros, their levels, and where they stand in comparison.

Yup, I've used that menu to track them, also the f5 in the console racks up points so I can test lvl, whichever it is.

I've reloaded my former campaign and managed to recreate the problem twice(As far as I can tell) . When you get on the other captains deck right after he tells the specifics of where you are going , you can choose whether to accept or refuse. Say he suggest gold, storm , dutch on caymans, and you say no.
After the refusal you get back on the ship, the log is cleared and after that you won't get any more offers.
In that (former) campaign i'm saved at port royal which is crowded and once in a week (sleep-check test) I get an offer, quite more often than that. Say every third entrance.
After this I get nothing. Coincidentally that's how it started in my latter campaign, by refusing, haven't seen a proposal since then.

Also, if u save after this it is a point of no return it seems for the game, even former saves.

I really think there is something to it... Does this make sense?

p.s since I cant help with locating some points in the code, (really, please dont look for it if you think it doesnt hold) Im really not looking for a solution just to clear it up if it is indeed some minor bug or not.

Well, without looking through the code, all I can tell you is IF you refuse in the tavern versus on the ship, you WILL get more offers.
If you refuse on the ship, the quest breaks.
My suggestion:

Go to a new town, and let some time pass.
Remember there is some randomization here, and related to where the NPC captains are in the virtual Caribbean.

Yup that's it. Refusal on the ship seems to breaks the quest, tavern works fine.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Regards

The only thing that was changed for GOF was the minimum ship class requirement changed from class 6 to class 5, this was done so that the player could focus on levelling up a little and hopefully improving his/her skills. Those who do like to take on these quests early can do so as its easy to find officers with good navigation for class 5 ships almost straight off the bat and its not hard to find and capture class 5 ships. Personally I rarely take on such quests and have never experienced any problems, but now I can see why that is. I only refuse hero quests in the tavern, never board ships and then refuse and if I accidently accept to meet the hero onboard their ship I simply go about my business as if I never accepted it.

This is where coders would be good, it would be nice to have the coding changed so that hero's who are sitting down have an chance to offer quests or if your not interested then you can try to get them to join your crew, sadly the second option is the only one available. It looks very weird seeing a hero despawn in taverns.

so that hero's who are sitting down have an chance to offer quests
You mean when you ask them "What about a deal?". I kind of have a memory that it works, but it is very rare, not sure.

I am on Eras though, and you can take these with class 6 ships, that's where I am at atm. That might be just a mod difference with GOF.
I haven't really taken notice much of the despawn thing, always thought it has something to do with chairs in taverns code and some late animation. That seems to be the case sometimes.

Back