• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Now included in latest patch: Trade Winds, AI armor, weapons variety, captain rebalancing, etc

Ahoy! I just downloaded the 9/23 update and have noticed:

Most of the enemies I encounter are wearing some kind of armor.

Most merchants have very few blades for sale.

Prices in the shops seem significantly lower.

Playing free play.

Ahoy! I just downloaded the 9/23 update and have noticed:

Most of the enemies I encounter are wearing some kind of armor.

Most merchants have very few blades for sale.

Prices in the shops seem significantly lower.

Playing free play.

Yep, I created a system for equiping AI with armor. Most will be wearing armor at higher levels indeed, though less than half will have armor at lower levels. And the table for random chances on the type of armor they get also changes as they go up in level. All of this is handled by an equipment table in LAi_equip, defined for increments of every 5 levels, if you are curious about the new feature.

Prices have indeed gone down for weapons and armor. First, by a 50% decrease in all weapon prices, as a result of discussion over land loot being too high about a month ago. That first part wasn't connected to anything experimental, just a general balancing change discussed and implemented. Then, later, by bringing the swords into a consistent price relationship, mainly by bringing down the price of the outlier super expensive swords to a more consistent comparison to high performing cheaper priced swords, as well as reducing most armor price (especially since the player will be looting armor fairly often, the old prices would have made for insane loot values).

In addition, as part of another fix, price preimiums in shops were reduced, so that prices are more regular across merchants, which you are probably also noticing. It used to be there was a 1.2 price modifier for stores, we knocked that down to 1.05, as it applies to player selling stuff too, and the difference with stalls was so dramatic profitable arbitrage was even possible.

So all of that is working as intended.

However, as for most merchants having few blades for sale, no changes there, and it doesn't match my own experience with the late september updates (always seen plenty of blades). Perhaps a result of playing with RPG style merchants on and interaction with player current level? Nothing has been changed to make for less blades sold, probably something specific is going on to result in this in your game.

Suggest you download the latest Levis fixes, lots of bugs were fixed that will otherwise plague you, including some that were dropping FPS at sea I think.

Last edited:
Cheers mates,

after some testing I need to tell you:
That changes that should give me a minimum wind speed does not work. I set it to 15 knots, and still have lots of winds with below 10 knots.

That changes that should give me a minimum wind speed does not work. I set it to 15 knots, and still have lots of winds with below 10 knots.
To clarify, that was only in a custom file @Tingyun made especially for you; it isn't in any of the "official" files.
So if you updated your game version, you probably should put that custom file back for it to work again.

@Tingyun, I have uploaded on the ftp under JRH: "female english greetings" Hope you find something useful there.
The files are in a format which the game accepts and the volume has been adjusted to match other voices.
If you choose to use several maybe you should rename them so they appear next to each other in the game folder.

Thanks so much @Jack Rackham . I posted a build beta post about it, together with an archive of 5 of the voice files that seem especially suited for this new greeting role.

It was really nice of you to spend time preparing so many wonderful options. :)

Thanks, and have a wonderful week! :)

Cheers,

To clarify, that was only in a custom file @Tingyun made especially for you; it isn't in any of the "official" files.
So if you updated your game version, you probably should put that custom file back for it to work again.

Yes I updated, but Tingyun showed me how to change that myself, so did I, and it does not work at all. I just thought I should comment this.

@Pieter Boelen Can't say why it didn't work off the top of my head sadly, I know how angles work in weather generation, but speed is an entirely seperate system.

@Skyworm there definitely should be a way of getting speed to behave the way you want. If the simple method we tried before doesn't work, then try inserting a transformation function right before the overrides (ie, right below where the transformation on angles is done), similar to how angle is handled. something like (phrased correctly of course)
if speed < 15 speed = 15
Or maybe
if speed < 15 speed = speed + 5
then the lower wind speeds would be possible but wouldn't last long as any hour with wind speed below 15 would get a +5 increase per hour. Depends if you want the lower speeds rare or impossible.

You'd need to look at the override function (that block of code right below the angle transformstion that has disabled overrides for everything from speed to angle) to see what the actual variable for speed is called, but it should be simple.

If you give it a try and post the relevant block of code here (ie, cut and paste the code from my angle transformation to your new wind speed transformation to the overrides themselves so I can see it all--your wind speed transformation should be between my angle transformation and the overrides) I can take a look at what you have, though you might not need me to.

This should be easy, as long as you check the override function for the right variable name, put your transformation above the override block of code and below my angle transformation, and use one of the above two methods, it should work. Of course revert the earlier attempt at speed related changes to the file first.

I'll check back once tonight to see if you want me to look anything over, after that I probably will be gone for awhile and not stopping by the forum until work settles down.

Last edited:
Cheers Tingyun,

thanks for looking into it. Just tried to do something, but I am really not good at coding. No idea what an override function is or how it looks like ... sorry. But thanks!

That's alright @Skyworm , I'll help you do it then.

Copy this one line:

if(winds < 15) { winds=15 }

You can change the two 15s to whatever you want of course

Now paste it right above the below block of override code that is already in the file (just scan your whrgeneration file and you'll see this not too far from the beginning)

if(gWeatherOvrd){
if(oWeatherAngle != -50.0){fWindA = OWeatherAngle; }
if(OWABallast != -50.0){windABallast = OWABallast; }
if(OFog != -50){fog = OFog;}
if(OFBallast != - 50){fogBallast = OFBallast;}
if(ORain != -50){wRain = ORain;}
if(ORBallast != -50){rainBallast = ORBallast;}
if(OWind != -50){winds = OWind;}
if(OWBallast != -50){windBallast = OWBallast;}
Whr_ResetOvrd();

If you paste that one line of code in the right place, it should work. A current saved game might need an hour to update. Leave a message here either way saying whether it works. I might not be around for awhile, but eventually I'll check back.

(Again, this is just for Skyworm or people who like strong winds)

Cheers,

aftre having sailed a lot of miles, I can say it works now.

I just want to say that you realy did a great thing to improve the game in direct sailing mode. The more stable and strong wind is really great for planning courses strategically. This was entirely impossible before. This is really really great!
:pirates

Was anything done regarding the Apothecary in here as well?
I don't remember....

@Jason: Indeed all the rebalancing was not included because neither Grey Roger not myself have any clue if it would make things better or not.

But you have been playing with it for a while now, right? So you DO know if those changes were for better or for worse!
Any and all details you could give on that would be very valuable indeed.
Depending on your findings, we may want to try adding it back in some time soon. :woot

You are right, Pieter. I have been on the board since 2006. I remember Nathan Kell, Catalina, and I remember when you came on as a teenager.

With respect to the rebalancing, some things I noticed are the cost of buying and selling weapons was much less expensive, and I think more in line with what actual cost might have been. The cost of items appears to have been unchanged. The impact on a player's ability to acquire wealth was neutral. So I think that change was positive.

Lower level armor was much more prevalent on corpses. Also fine but maybe a little too easy to find. Blades coming out of the arms chest appeared to selected for balance, i.e. the clamshell falchion comes out ahead of the kilji and bosun's choice. I think that is a good change. Finally the elite blades albut disappear from corpses. I play free play in the 1690-1705 period at level 31 and I never say the polish saber or the Templar blade. That is probably too rare.

Hope this helps

Back