• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Now included in latest patch: Trade Winds, AI armor, weapons variety, captain rebalancing, etc

Downloads one post above

For future reference of people stopping by, the significantly revised changes included with the above are

INCLUDED
- Trade winds will now blow towards the west and slightly south much of the time, per Caribbean wind patterns, with other directions still possible of course.
- AI equips Armor/full weapon variety/low tier weapon rebalancing/gun rebalancing/cost changes (balance maintained, AI takes less damage because of armor, and does less damage from greater variety of (somewhat buffed) low tier weapons still used)
- minor fixes to things, like reload times incorrect for some braces of pistols
- longrifle_C no longer unique to player, available in early periods rarely
- First Mate takes over ship defense perks from Doctor

HEAVILY REVISED (no longer as in original experiment)
Officer types (captains, crews, officers)

OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL
- double running speed

REMOVED FOR NOW
-- deleveled consistent bandits regardless of player level (slightly revised due to changes in RANDCHAR stats)

NOT INCLUDED AT ALL
- english female officers no longer sound like 80 year old grandmothers

Last edited:
NOT INCLUDED (will be discussed later)
- english female officers no longer sound like 80 year old grandmothers

Does it mean with your latest changes its reversed to the original state or it's simply not included? If yes it's much appreciated. Don't get mad with me, but the new voice was way too girlish. Well... imho.;)

Does it mean with your latest changes its reversed to the original state or it's simply not included? If yes it's much appreciated. Don't get mad with me, but the new voice was way too girlish. Well... imho.;)

Not included, so back to original old lady voice, no sound changes if installing that version.

Because having had no feedback on that one, I expected some people might not like it. :) Your confirmation is very much appreciated.

@Darby McGraw , what do you think in general about the current a bit old voice? Do you think it is worth looking for a less old, but less girlish alternative? Or you like the current one? The experiment is shutting down, but I could start a beta topic on a different proposed substitution, but no point if the old one is liked by people.

Also, what do you think of the double running speed? We are keeping that optional for now, would really love to hear if you like it.

EDIT: I will get you the original file from my wife's install when she comes home, she hasn't changed it (despite being the one to make me do so, by continuously laughing every time the old lady voice came ;) )

Last edited:
@Tingyun

First of all thank you for your reply!:)

I've to admit that currently I've less than no time for playing or testing. Hope that will change after the weekend.

@Darby McGraw , what do you think in general about the current a bit old voice? Do you think it is worth looking for a less old, but less girlish alternative? Or you like the current one? The experiment is shutting down, but I could start a beta topic on a different proposed substitution, but no point if the old one is liked by people.

The answer is actually quite simple: I want neither an old grandmother still a pubescent schoolgirl in my crew.

The implementation will be much more difficult. Therefore, the first step should be to adapt the graphical representation of female officers. But ... how would you do that? Is that even halfway believable in a historical contest?
I don't know if you ever experienced Mary Read or Anne Bonny in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Appearance and voice: PERFECT!

Anyways, the first approach to these concerns would be in my opinion to give all the officers a bit more personality. Right now they are not more than soulless followers. But this is a totally different discussion.;)

EDIT: I will get you the original file from my wife's install when she comes home, she hasn't changed it (despite being the one to make me do so, by continuously laughing every time the old lady voice came ;) )
Hehe :D
That would be great! Thanks in advance.

Kind regards to you and your wife!:cheers

Great points @Darby McGraw . Any graphical changes to the models is probably not in the cards right now sadly though...

Sound is easier, but not sure what to use. I wonder if there are AOP sound files that would work well.

Last edited:
@Homo eructus

I took a look at your storm winds faster than 30 knots idea from earlier in this thread.

It looks doable, but (from a 5 minute skim of the code, I could be wrong) there are some formulas that seem to mess with wave strength and the like that are linked to wind speed, dividing it by numbers near 30 to determine how rough the seas are (again, from what I could quickly tell).

I am worried that if we go to a 50 or 60 scale to allow for strong storms, then the waves might get too calm otherwise or too choppy in storms (or whatever system is using those /30 and /26 type of factors off wind speed)

I haven't played enough yet sailing to have enough of a feel for how the waves look in game and storms should feel to try changing this sort of system to fit an expanded scale. I also have no idea how real world sailing and oceans look like. If you or someone else with more experience wants to take it up, your idea does look very possible, it will just require a lot of finetuning by an experienced player. :)

Thanks @Jack Rackham !

Basically, a short greeting for English female officers that sounds slightly younger than the current voice file (I think the current one is the same voice actor who does the "what a distinguished young man" line). Could be any kind of english female voice short greeting, or request for instructions, or acknowledgment, that has a similar youthful quality to the character models.

Okay. I'll see if I can find something useful. My girlfriend is home over the weekend so I can't say
when it will be done.

Maybe my question is out of topic but I'm curious...

What must be be done so that the current faces of female officers do not look like members of a cheerleading squad? Is it a question of the used textures or is it necessary to change also the meshes?

@Homo eructus

I took a look at your storm winds faster than 30 knots idea from earlier in this thread.

It looks doable, but (from a 5 minute skim of the code, I could be wrong) there are some formulas that seem to mess with wave strength and the like that are linked to wind speed, dividing it by numbers near 30 to determine how rough the seas are (again, from what I could quickly tell).

I am worried that if we go to a 50 or 60 scale to allow for strong storms, then the waves might get too calm otherwise or too choppy in storms (or whatever system is using those /30 and /26 type of factors off wind speed)

I haven't played enough yet sailing to have enough of a feel for how the waves look in game and storms should feel to try changing this sort of system to fit an expanded scale. I also have no idea how real world sailing and oceans look like. If you or someone else with more experience wants to take it up, your idea does look very possible, it will just require a lot of finetuning by an experienced player. :)
I'm not much of a modder myself, other than the few bits and pieces I've been learning while doing the translation, but I don't think I'm up to the task, and it's not really that important, to be honest, the current system works fine, and adding stronger winds wouldn't really add anything gameplay-wise. I usually skip the storms with accelerated time anyway cos they always seem to get me when I'm focused in some other thing and want to get out of them as quickly as possible. I was just wondering why it's the way it is. But thanks for looking it up.

@Jack Rackham , thanks for looking into it when you do, there is obviously no urgency to this. And in general, thanks for all your recent generous work (especially the ship chest thing, once the problem gets figured out later, that will be amazing)! :)

@Darby McGraw No idea, but I think additional female models would be very welcome. I wouldn't want to lose the current ones, as I like them as well, but it is striking how limited the variety of female models in the game used for officers is in variety, it is basically all the same young pretty girl type. Meanwhile, for men there are all different kinds, big and muscley, short and fat, different ages and looks...

Maybe there are also some additional female models not used right now for officers that could be added to the list? But making new models would indeed be great.

but it is striking how limited the variety of female models in the game used for officers is in variety, it is basically all the same young pretty girl type. Meanwhile, for men there are all different kinds, big and muscley, short and fat, different ages and looks...
Yes that bothers me too.

Retexturing models are not that difficult. Just a layer in Photoshop. There's a tutorial about it.

@Darby McGraw I'm not really likely to get into graphics type modding, but if you wanted to take a look at making some models, I think this might be the tutorial Jack Rackham mentions:

Tutorial: How to edit models | PiratesAhoy!

It looks like everyone would very much welcome their addition. Probably as little as alternate versions that add a scar here and there, or more aged faces, would be very nice as additional models, or you could be even more ambitious. :)

Last edited:
I have fixed a bunch of female english greetings for you @Tingyun and I'll upload them on the ftp under JRH
as soon as I'll get access there.

For the question on wind and waves and their relation, look up "Beaufort scale" on Wikipedia.

I've actually been doing some real life research along those lines as well.

Back