• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Models!

Roughly fitted (yet) stern gallery for the 64.

aos2_64_gun_ship_stern.png

Made another series of corrections to the hull form of the Endymion (mostly the bow part, you can see the complex 3d curvature there):

aos2_endy_4.png aos2_endy_5.png

shot0000.png shot0001.png shot0002.png shot0003.png shot0004.png
And remade the boats. A little more detailed, much closer to drawings and hopefully worth the increase in triangle count:

aos2_endy_6.png

Last edited:
The Indefatigable undergoing similar refit:

aos2_indy_refit.png

aos2_indy_refit1.png aos2_indy_refit2.png aos2_indy_refit3.png
(I did finally cut the poop, as per Sir Edward Pellew's modification list)

And the Java as well:

aos2_java_refit.png

Last edited:

aos2_indy_n.png aos2_java_n.png
Now that this is done, I can get back to the two-decker.

Another peek from the shipyard:

aos2_64_gun_ship2.png

aos2_64_gun_ship_stern1.png
And a view of a port from the game (just dropped some ships in scenario editor for a scene):
aos2_port.png

Last edited:
That's a reall good-looking fleet you've got there!
Looks like some good quality textures especially; I like the deck one the most. :onya

Oh, that one, definitely. Funny thing, it's from original texture set. Just thought you teased a little. :woot

Funny thing, it's from original texture set.
Really? Original developers did a pretty good job then.

Just thought you teased a little. :woot
Not this time...
But since I ended up complimenting something that you didn't do, I have to try again.
Can I just say that it is ALL pretty good? And I definitely like a red gunports.

Really? Original developers did a pretty good job then.

Not all of them, unfortunately, but generally (and for that time) yes. And there are things that can still be definitely used.

But since I ended up complimenting something that you didn't do, I have to try again.
Can I just say that it is ALL pretty good? And I definitely like a red gunports.

64 gun ship of the line - the HMS Agamemnon:

aos2_64gship1.png aos2_64gship2.png aos2_64gship3.png aos2_64gship4.png aos2_64gship5.png
Turns out, two decker is exactly one deck more complicated than a frigate...

Bet you didn't see that one coming! :rofl

Not to that extent, no :)

On a side note, when I look at them - the Agamemnon, the Indefatigable, the Endymion and Java
- four ships designed in different times by different people, of different architecture schools, for different reasons, I can't stop thinking that essentially they are the same. For all the differences in appearance and performance, they have similar tactical niche, almost equivalent armament and broadside weight.
Yet, they are so totally unlike each other.
And that's bugging me to no end.

On a side note, when I look at them - the Agamemnon, the Indefatigable, the Endymion and Java
- four ships designed in different times by different people, of different architecture schools, for different reasons, I can't stop thinking that essentially they are the same. For all the differences in appearance and performance, they have similar tactical niche, almost equivalent armament and broadside weight.
Yet, they are so totally unlike each other.
And that's bugging me to no end.
Hmm, that's interesting. Do you have them details?
I wonder if we can help you figure out any proper differences...

Oh, I know all about their differences!
(you can look the data for all of them up on threedecks.org, anyway)

But at a certain level (from the game data perspective, for example), they are much more subtle than the looks may suggest.
It's just that, I think, they all hover within a rather small circle around a balance point of power/speed/endurance/flexibility, however differently they approached it, and the bare existence of this point, that's what sends my head spinning.

As an example, from the tactical point of view (when designing a scenario, let's say, or a campaign), when you consider a task for one of them, in almost all cases you can choose the ship blindly, based on availability, and their performance would be rather similar.

Last edited:
And there will be more 24-pounder ships.

aos2_egyptienne_1.png aos2_egyptienne_2.png
Forte/Egyptienne
It's like Connie, but very French

aos2_egyptienne_3.png
The Egyptienne has extremely strange shape. While having strikingly ugly profile, with straight, almost protruding stem and unusually high gun deck, when seen in three dimensions she is very elegant.

The profile after her british refit does indeed look horrible, but the french original does her elegant lines much more justice:

Forte.jpg

That´s the plan of her sister La Forte, which became famous for her exploits in the Indian Ocean.

And here´s a picture of the sterns of the two contemporary french models of L'Egyptienne:
003610.jpg

And in full glory:
image-201510181121070010.jpg

Can´t wait for the monograph by Delacroix, which should be out this year, as far as I know. Must-buy for me :)

Last edited:
The profile after her british refit does indeed look horrible

I tried to correct it, experimenting with different head forms, but the wooden model, I'd say, looks best, and I'll try to incorporate it's features as much as possible. However, I might retain the British stern.

I also liked her picture, and essentially decided to make the model because of it:

Legyptienne.jpg

Back