• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Models!

Well, people on deck here are much easier, than in POTC, since they use the "path" part and are auto-generated over it. Nothing special needed.

Well, people on deck here are much easier, than in POTC, since they use the "path" part and are auto-generated over it. Nothing special needed.
Oooh, that's clever! Much better than having to make a "path.gm" AND a text-file with all the coordinates. :shock

The magic of textures.

aos2_lfrigate_model_texture.png aos2_lfrigate_model_texture_stern.png

Last edited:
She looks wonderful! Better than first. ;)

But I have to admit... that white look was kind-of interesting too.

that white look was kind-of interesting too.

The fat pale caterpillar has evolved into dangerous moth:

aos2_lfrigate_model_battle_test.jpg
The all too familiar situation (British frigate with torn sails approaches battered French adversary) actually demonstrates the finished model - working national skins and damage textures.

Last edited:
In the meantime I have determined the right model scale - 1 unit = 100 meters in game, so the models are extremely small in fact.
Had to rescale the the ship a little, but didn't convert it back just yet.

And here is a model of very, very standard British 38-gunner being built now (based on Diana/Naiad class), as compares to French 40.

aos2_french_british_architecture.jpg

Can't miss Indy, can I?..

aos2_indy.jpg
In fact, I am extremely delighted it all shapes up with this model series - since the first thought looking at all those drawings is "I want to see that ship in action", and those low-poly models are very easy to create.

these are great - i have a copy of this game lying around somewhere - and prvateers addon - do people still play it much? I never really got into it - it was a buggy mess when i purchased it in my pre-internet years, so a 'patch' was unheard of.

i remember the very first scenario, when launched - all you would hear would be a massive cannon salvo and then as the screen appeared all the ships in the scenario would be sinking. akella were always guilty of releasing very early.

Last edited:
Wheee!

I rescaled the President (don't confuse her with her USN cousin, that one was French, and somewhat smaller), and converted the Indy to the game.

aos2_indy_president_ingame.jpg aos2_indy_ingame.jpg aos2_indy_ingame1.jpg
In pursuit

aos2_indy_ingame2.jpg aos2_indy_president_ingame1.jpg
In port
UPD:
aos2_indy_ingame3.jpg
Added shadow layer to emphasize volume. I think it looks better.​

Last edited:
At a cost of 100 triangles the ships will get anchors and boomkins:

aos2_indy_ingame4.jpg
Overall the models are around 1k triangles each plus rigging, and I think I will keep it as a standard figure. The engine seems to cope well with them.

And some shots of the Indefatigable (let Google find them :D) in action:

aos2_indy_president_ingame2.jpg aos2_indy_ingame5.jpg aos2_indy_ingame6.jpg
aos2_indy_ingame7.jpg

Last edited:
As a quick preview - the Endymion:

aos2_endy_draft.png
In a way, I find those models very convenient to deal with ship anxiety.
More detailed projects may take months, but here I can get a ship sailing and even fighting in a matter of days.

Tentatively, my list now is full of heavy and super-heavy frigates, but, obviously, I can't vouch for anything, especially the order of launchings.

Last edited:
Completed the Endymion and made some minor corrections to Indefatigable and the President, standardizing parts, etc.
Scroll down for gallery :)

aos2_showcase.jpg

aos2_indy_ingame8.jpg aos2_indy_president_ingame3.jpg aos2_president_ingame.jpg
The Indefatigable and Le President

aos2_endy_ingame1.jpg aos2_endy_ingame2.jpg aos2_endy_ingame3.jpg
aos2_endy_ingame4.jpg aos2_endy_ingame5.jpg aos2_endy_ingame6.jpg
aos2_endy_ingame7.jpg
The fastest of them - Endymion

Last edited:
In the line of large 24-pounder frigates you inevitably encounter Constitution.
And it's not that I have something against her, but everybody, just everybody does Connie. And Leander is too recognizable.
So I thought of a more generic candidate for this position:

aos2_heavy_frigate.png

Back