• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Models!

shot0001_13.png shot0003_6.png
shot0002_10.png
Close-ups on the Vernon

shot0000_15.png shot0001_12.png
shot0002_9.png
And some general scenic shots

The Albion is complete and tested under sail.

shot0000_5.png

shot0002_4.png

shot0003_4.png shot0004_4.png
Like all the ships from the period, she was somewhat difficult, because of the amount of modifications the class was subjected to. The gunports as depicted on the original plan did not match those on existing photographs of Aboukir and Exmouth, and were closer to later and slightly different Hannibal (and this was a source for endless frustration) but in the end I was able to find the specific plan for Exmouth with slightly altered scheme that did match the photographs. Phew.

I did keep the original stern, though.

As you well know, I am constantly tinkering with the ships until I am satisfied with their look or in case I find some new information or picture, and their appearance changes slightly from the posted screenshots, so here is a bunch of more updated screenshots (shallow and calm water allows to see the underwater forms):

shot0000_1.png shot0001_1.png shot0002_1.png shot0003_1.png shot0004_1.png

Completed another monstrous frigate, even larger than the Vernon: the Emerald of 1848. The model is of the original, pure sailing configuration of the ship, making her a pinnacle (more or less) of the class development before the transition to steam. The real ship and all her sisters were completed as steam screw frigates.

emerald_1.png emerald_1_1.png
emerald_1_aft.png

emerald_1_1_aft.png

shot0001_4.png shot0003_5.png
shot0000_6.png shot0002_5.png
shot0003_5.png shot0000_7.png

And, just to show off, a reworked version of my special favorite, the Liffey:

liffey_v2_3.png liffey_v2_4.png liffey_v2_2.png
Showing the complex French mid-18th century hull form combined with British decorations.
The amount of iterations this model has passed is innumerable :)

Yes, I am still working on it.

There are a couple of new ships in the works, and a ton of corrections to existing ones. I am just too lazy to post screenshots until something new is completed.

For corrections that are visible without 3d (and for which I have actual before-after images), compare for example the shape of the head rails on the Liffey:
shot0000_8.png shot0001_5_.png
Slightly curved (before, left), and more correct, rising (after, right) that makes the ship much more streamlined.

Or restoring the beakhead to the 74:
74s.jpg

&c, &c, &c.

Not sure about the release yet, though. I am exploring the direction of making the whole thing over in Unity, but that's a looong way out.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of not having to cut the gunports is the ability to rearrange them relatively easily.

So the I made a slightly different texture to the Albion:

shot0000_15.png shot0001_9.png

To make them look like the Princess Royal or razeed Queens. Underneath it is, for now, the same model, but it would be impossible to tell unless looking at the underwater section :)

shot0002_5.png
Hopefully, it will do for now. The hull shapes became so complex the pauses between finishing the ships are now much longer.

Back