• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Models!

Something I had to fix a long time ago - the Danish flag:

shot0000_43.png
I cut a white triangle that was left there for some reason to make the tails.
Have to pass the Swedish through the same process, though.

Drop the .tf's from the zip to /resource/texture folder, if anybody needs it.

Attachments

• danish_flags.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 505
Minor update for the 74-gun ship model:

shot0000_44_.png shot0001_31_.png
Doors and decorations on the beakhead

shot0001_32.png
Fixed the stern decoration rails (there was a small offset between side and stern texture, and that's gone), transom curve and hull curve under the forecastle
It should be noted, though, the model is still done to older standard and will be eventually rebuilt, but, I guess, visually it will be very hard to notice.

I did the most heretical thing - turned off the sun in the game. And the moon. In fact, of all three light sources I retained only the dispersed omnidirectional, that somehow makes everything to look more natural (and the models appear as intended!). The daily cycle is controlled by dimming this light according to the time of the day.

shot0000_49.png shot0001_37.png shot0002_27.png shot0003_21.png shot0004_16.png shot0005_15.png

Moreover, the directional lights had a nasty tendency of disappearing and reappearing almost at random, so you could have had two ships not too far apart where one would have lighted hull, and the other would not. Interesting thing is that this light source applies only to the ship models, the scene is lighted by something else entirely (and I have no idea, actually, what).

Last edited:
I did the most heretical thing - turned off the sun in the game. And the moon. In fact, of all three light sources I retained only the dispersed omnidirectional, that somehow makes everything to look more natural (and the models appear as intended!).
Wait, WHAT?!? :rofl

Good job, mate!

I did the most heretical thing - turned off the sun in the game. And the moon. In fact, of all three light sources I retained only the dispersed omnidirectional, that somehow makes everything to look more natural (and the models appear as intended!).
Who would have thought that turning off the sun and the moon would look more natural. xD

Good job @Martes! :onya

Who would have thought that turning off the sun and the moon would look more natural. xD

That's why they are all crazy about ray tracing these days. :)
In real conditions the atmosphere does a great deal of dispersing of any distant light source, and the ones I turned off produced more projector-like effect, which is far from natural.
Although my main reason was correct appearance of the models, obviously, and conformation to old paintings.

Another long standing fix - the crew texture.

shot0002_24_.png shot0000_51.png
Original (left) and new (right)
There is no way, unfortunately, to distinguish between officers and sailors, and in general the model is very generic (but lack of animation except randomized movement about the deck makes it unfeasible to make the figures more detailed). It is possible to make separate colors for different nations, but that one will do for all for now.

Last edited:
The old ones looked too much like prisoners of some sort :)

Clearly you have more imagination than me.
I just saw arrows. With dashes on their heads. :rofl

Either way... Much more better now! :cheers
To me, they just looked like penguins. Now they look like humans with hats, which is a big improvement. :onya

An additional skin for the Cambridge model:

shot0000_56.png shot0001_43.png
based on the arrangement of gunports for Indus (another British variant of Christian VII).
Oh, I am fully aware Indus was different, had a round stern and slimmer hull, but that will have to do for now as a placeholder for another - and slightly less exotic looking - British 80-gun line-of-battle ship.

I only went a little further and changed the shape of the forefoot to more modern, 1830-s style:

shot0000_57.png
Otherwise the hulls are (at the moment) identical. Curiously, this very small alteration immediately makes the ship appear much more aggressive.

Last edited:
Back