• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New game crashing

First, check if the laptop has any settings in BIOS or in a control panel to force it to use the Radeon card.

That "d3d8.dll" might also work for the stock game. It is supposed to force your laptop to use the non-NVidia card.

Otherwise, try installing "New Horizons" anyway. It might work better than the stock game with your laptop.

i just attempted to run the b14 installer after downloading both parts of build 14 but, after choosing what files to additionally download, it popped an error that said it could not detect the original game by akella being there and cancelled the installation.

Last edited:
OK now i'm excited. i finally got somewhere. after downloading the d3d8.dll file, the base game runs absolutely flawlessly now. BUT i am still having the issue with trying to install New Horizons since the b14 installer said that it cannot detect the original game by akella.

even further update now. the installer runs properly and the mod is installed BUT i'm now back to the game crashing when i make a new game.

these are the compile and system logs after the last time i ran it and it crashed. i could not find an error log though.

Attachments

• compile.log
    869 bytes · Views: 38
  • system.log
    352 bytes · Views: 48
Does the laptop have any settings in BIOS or in a control panel to force it to use Radeon graphics?

i have tried to find one through the BIOS but not only is it fairly hard to get to on a samsung laptop but also its “advanced” settings have nothing that deals with graphics cards. i’m guessing i’m gonna have to rely on a control panel and the only one i have is for the intel control panel. i’ve had trouble installing the AMD catalyst control panel for some reason as it will never fully complete the installation and just get stuck at 100% in the download. is there a way for me to switch graphics cards through the intel control panel or would i have to use an AMD radeon control panel?

I did find a preferences setting on the Intel Control Panel for gaming and I disabled it. It might have been conflicting with the settings I already have for the game to utilize the Radeon gpu since I found it through the windows 10 settings. I’m going to attempt to run it now but, if it does not work, I’ll simply uninstall New Horizons and reinstall it with the Intel Graphics Fix.

Delete the folder, install the stock game from CD, then install the mod. It doesn't leave anything in the register, which also means you can have more than one installation if you have space on your drive. You could create a new installation without deleting the current one.

Also, I recently spoke with a customer support representative from AMD and they said that its possible that I am putting the high performance graphics setting (the AMD Radeon graphics card) on the wrong executable file. So what file do I specifically put that on? I already have it applied on both the ENGINE.exe and the Config.exe. Also also, I’m not sure about installing the Intel Graphics Fix file because the installation guide for laptops with two GPUs says specifically to NOT select to install that in the mod installation. I already have d3d8.dll file downloaded and installed in the folder (also, should that file just be put anywhere in my folder that have the game or is there a specific file folder IN the game that I need to put that in?) so should I just make sure to have both the d3d8.dll file and the Intel Graphics Fix installed?

"ENGINE.exe" is the one which runs the game. "Config.exe" just runs the game configuration program.

I'm not sure, since I'm the exact opposite from you - I use a desktop PC, not a laptop, and it has NVidia graphics, not Radeon. So I've never tried any of these fixes. But my guess is that the thread about installing New Horizons on a laptop with two GPU's tells you not to use the Intel fix because the thread is trying to make your laptop use the better, non-Intel graphics GPU.

According to that thread (note 4 in the first post), "d3d8.dll" should go into the main game folder, the same place as "ENGINE.exe". So, not in "PROGRAM", "RESOURCE", "MODULES" or any other sub-folder.

You should probably have either "d3d8.dll" or the Intel Graphics fix, not both. The first is presumably to try to make the laptop use the Radeon card. The other, if you can't persuade the game to do that, is to allow it to work with the Intel GPU.

BINGO!!! I got it running! I reinstalled everything and told it to just run on the Intel GPU and I installed the Intel Graphics Fix and, just to make sure, I didn’t install the ENB file for enhanced graphics.

"ENGINE.exe" is the one which runs the game. "Config.exe" just runs the game configuration program.

I'm not sure, since I'm the exact opposite from you - I use a desktop PC, not a laptop, and it has NVidia graphics, not Radeon. So I've never tried any of these fixes. But my guess is that the thread about installing New Horizons on a laptop with two GPU's tells you not to use the Intel fix because the thread is trying to make your laptop use the better, non-Intel graphics GPU.

According to that thread (note 4 in the first post), "d3d8.dll" should go into the main game folder, the same place as "ENGINE.exe". So, not in "PROGRAM", "RESOURCE", "MODULES" or any other sub-folder.

You should probably have either "d3d8.dll" or the Intel Graphics fix, not both. The first is presumably to try to make the laptop use the Radeon card. The other, if you can't persuade the game to do that, is to allow it to work with the Intel GPU.
Seriously, thank you so bloody much for helping me through this complete circus of issues. It was frustrating enough for me to have to deal with it but it must have been just as frustrating with having to keep goin on this already long enough thread.

Umm these questions are unrelated but, for some reason, the game won’t let me perform any actions even when i bring up the actions command menu in game. I have my “perform action” key designated and everything but, every time I press it on a command, nothing happens. How do I fix this? Also, is there a way to change the reload speed on the Flying Dutchman ship in the files? I just want to make the speed faster.

Which key have you set for "Perform action"? Is it perhaps also set for some other purpose?

The Flying Dutchman should not have any different reload time to any other ship. If it does, can you upload "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it exists, after you have loaded this ship?

Back