• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New game crashing

xXSB101Xx

Landlubber
The original potc new game worked after installing the intel fix, so I tried to install build beta 4 and it now started to crash upon making a new game, just like before the intel fix. Here are the compile and system files, I could use some help.

Attachments

• compile.log
    3.8 KB · Views: 356
  • system.log
    376 bytes · Views: 345
I just figured it out. I had the application set to run on compatibility settings in window 7, reduced color mode, and override high dpi settings. I just turned them all off and now it loads.
Brilliant! :onya

Can anyone help me please? I've installed the mod fine and it can load up to the main menu, I click new game and it takes me to the character screen, but when I click start game it starts to load but then it just crashes

After you have run the mod and the game crashes, could you post the files "compile.log", "system.log" and "error.log"? The last of those might not exist; the first two certainly should.

What sort of PC do you have? If it's an older model, especially if it's running Windows XP, then indeed the latest version of the mod will not work. In that case, you could try the Beta 3.4 version:
PotC: New Horizons - Build 14 Beta 3.4 Released! news.

After you have run the mod and the game crashes, could you post the files "compile.log", "system.log" and "error.log"? The last of those might not exist; the first two certainly should.

What sort of PC do you have? If it's an older model, especially if it's running Windows XP, then indeed the latest version of the mod will not work. In that case, you could try the Beta 3.4 version:
PotC: New Horizons - Build 14 Beta 3.4 Released! news.
I got it working thanks. Just had to reinstall the Intel fix

I am currently having a similar issue except I can’t seem to find any work around. The vanilla game without new horizons installed will open the menu screen just fine but crashes every time I try to click new game. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the game once and made sure to put the game’s files into a documents folder rather than program files and I have already attempted to run the compatibility on specifically windows vista (service pack 2) and disabled full screen but it continues to crash. I have no clue how to fix this. I should also say that I’m trying to run the base game on a laptop but I doubt that the laptop’s specs are the issue since it’s a model from 3 years ago.

i don’t actually have the mod yet. i’m just trying to make sure that the vanilla game runs correctly and smoothly first before i install the mod. the problem itself is with the base game.

is the base game just not compatible with windows 10 by itself or do i need some kind of other application to run the game through to make it compatible? i’m still stumped on what the problem with the base game running on my laptop is.

Does anything in this thread help?
Guide - Installing New Horizons for Laptops with two GPU's

There's something in there about installing a new version of "d3d8.dll". Before doing so, see if you can find the existing one and copy it to somewhere safe. If the fix doesn't work, you can then put the original version back.

Does the laptop have anything in its BIOS or in a control panel which can force it to use the Radeon?

The problem isn’t with the mod. The problem is with the original game. The game itself will not let me create a new game because it crashes every time. This is without the mod installed. I’m waiting to put New Horizons on the game until I can figure out how to get the original game to run properly. So how do I fix the original game and make it run properly?

Back