• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Life... or something like it.

maybe if they have something like a first month free then id play for a month... then id probley quit seeing as paying for games i already bought is just too much paying its like paying your girlfriend/wife to sleep with you....

<!--`QuoteBegin-Spaz`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spaz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->maybe if they have something like a first month free then id play for a month... then id probley quit seeing as paying for games i already bought is just too much paying   its like paying your girlfriend/wife to sleep with you....[/quote]

"Playing games is prostitution."
-Spaz, PA! forum, bebruary the 27th 2004

<!--`QuoteBegin-KevO44`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevO44)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The real unfortunate part is POTBS is goin to be an internet only game. Which I don't mind, but that means were goin have to pay for it :([/quote]

Has ye gents played Battlefield: Pirates? Dat be a fun (and free!) mod tew de very popular an' successful online game, Battlefied 1942. When ye play online, ye has de choice of dozens o' servers tew play on and thar be no fees! When ye play BFP, thar be plenty o' servers an' folks eager fer a rousin' battle. When ye join a BFP game, ye git tew pick one o' two sides an' ye play wid whoever shows up! Thar be 5 or 6 very different game maps dat de server automatically cycles through after each game be finishin'. :)

All ye be needin' is one legal copy o' BF42, which be $`15-20` max, plus de 1.6 patch, plus de BFP mod build! :)

Thar be a couple threads here talkin' about de PA! clan fer BF! Come on, git off'n yer arses ye swabs an' let's be playin'! :)

i have only ever found a one server for alpha .23 and it was neer empty... besides that im not to good at bf pirates yet.... but ill be good soon just wait ill be the Pirate King!

Spaz, type "BFP" in de Map filter an' ye should git 5 or 6 server hits. Fred Bob be playin' most on de "BFPirates Official Alpha .23" which usually has 15 or 20 players or more on board! :)

HAr! Saw ye Spaz! Even shot at yer feet wid me swivel gun! :) Dat be Fred Bob's way o' greetin' ye! :)

Aye, dem swabs ne'er kin stoop tew low makin' a man fly when he ain't meant tew! :)

Who be dat blue pirate dat stuck dis red pirate in de ribs wid his knife... who be named [PA!] Spaz? Hmmm? :) Yar! We be s'posed tew play on de same side, ye lubber! :)

<!--`QuoteBegin-Keith`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keith)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What server you guys playing on?[/quote]

Fer BFP, play on dis one, Keith: "BFPirates Official Alpha .23" :)

Fer BF42, Fred Bob usually be playin' on any o' de server dat start wid "EA....", dese be servers run by Electronics Arts. Lately FB be plain' on "EA 112 - Best of BF1" or sumptin' like dat. Used tew ply on a German server dat belongs tew clan but not lately. :)

I always thought that these game companies should give the initial build and the first month free. (Or at least sell the game build for the cost of the first months... "rent" or whatever). That's what Gillette does when they want to make a big razor sales push. If you like it... then you continue to buy the cartridges.

I would be much more inclined to give a game like this a try if there wasn't the $40-$50 (or $80 for Collector's Editions) fee up front. There have been a few games that have done this... but they are usually older games and I'll get a disc in the mail (like the original Lineage). With all of the MMO games about to come out (Warcraft, EverQuest2, StarWars:Galaxies <with spacetravel>, PotBS, City of Heroes and many, many others!) I'd like to see some one come up to bat and try it. I think it would be a marketing coup, to be honest with you.

Actually... I've only tried one of these MMOs before. EverQuest awhile back was on sale for $5, so I thought I'd give it a try to see what all of the fuss was about. After spending 2 nights going into the woods.. running into little rats and garden snakes and running for my life back to the guards like a sissy!!!, I finally gave up, quickly uninstalled the game and never paid my first month's "rent". I just got tired of dying at the hands of rodents and spending the next 30 minutes looking for my own sorry carcass to retrieve my cloak and whatnot.

Anyway.. hopefully some of these will be better than that, and maybe someone will give away the initial build and I can try again.

Who plays these games anyway? I don't think a single pirate in this thread said they would even try the PotBS. And we're probably the biggest `fan-base` for this game! Would any of you try if the initial build were free and then you had to pay the $10-$15 a month?

If so.. maybe this oughta be mentioned to the developers. Hell... maybe Keith could pull some sway with these guys and get it so! :yes

If they realise all of the competition about to be released.. they just might do something like that. heh... <yeah.. right....>

Hell... maybe Keith could pull some sway with these guys and get it so!  

huh? ill be getting my copy free being a superstar of the pirate community, ill be dammed if im helping you plebs...

Yeah Flying Lab arnt silly, they know that not only are the MM games becoming as common as stones but that they are trying something totally different with it, im sure they will be offering some free months or so start up with, really to ge the exposure and to make sure there are other online when somone does actually decide to pay up.

I dunno which way im going to lean, the whole idea for paying basically `150-200` for a game presuming i play for a year is a bit rich to me, and im not taking into this any other conversion rates, mind you im quessing at this i dont really know what they are going to charge.

How much did everquest want you to pay per month?

I think it was $10 USA... but they had been online for a while by then. There are those that are trying to get $15 USA.

running for my life back to the guards like a sissy!!!
:yes

BTW.. in case you didn't know. In these games (or EverQuest anyway), the guards all have `super-human` ratings, so if you were being attacked in their "safe area" they would help you kill the beast. Even if another player attacked you in these areas, they would meet a swift doom as well. :cheers

I plan to. I don't see $10 a month a big deal for the pleasure to sink and plunder REAL peoples ships and laugh at them floundering about in the sea while I sail into the horizon. If I could get away with it in real life i'd do it . This is as close as I can get to doing it, so I see no problem. If you add the $10 monthly fee plus the $50 for the game to the charge you're looking at $170 for the first year of a new game EVERY TIME you log on with a constantly changing game that is totally open ended where YOU control what happens at EVERY juncture of the game. Think of how many NEW games you buy a year, 3 or 4? at $50 a pop that's $200 a year. Why not be open minded and at least give it a go. If you hate, it no biggie, sell it on `e-bay`.

<!--QuoteBegin-Spaz+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spaz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->maybe if they have something like a first month free then id play for a month... then id probley quit seeing as paying for games i already bought is just too much paying its like paying your girlfriend/wife to sleep with you....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As some one said on the WoW forums. "If I wasn't paying $10 a month for this game I wouldn't be playing it. If I wasn't playing it I'd be out at the movies, bowling, or going out to eat. That adds up to much more than 10."

Back