• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Iron Man mode: anyone actually play with this on?

Jonty

Ϯ ρiгaτϵ ϻaᴤτϵѓміпם Ϯ
Well, it's certainly a challenge I'll give you that. I have to plan every trip I make in my boat by putting a ruler up to the screen to determine a line to sail on the map. If the wind direction changes against me, I'm stuck for an hour (maybe more, depending on future wind direction changes), unless I decide to change course and go off track. Trying to sail early on in the game with only only a tiny compas above my ship icon isn't easy, and having to spend a long time on each trip, where time seems to go much faster whilst sailing (or maybe it is just me?). Speaking of time and wind direction, a change in wind direction can cost me a whole day at sea, maybe more. Anyone actually play a full game like this? It seems very challenging and fun, despite my normal frustrations when the wind changes, a storm leaves me disorientated and smashed up, or warships come up on the horizon and try to ruin my day.

As I said, it is very challenging to play a full game like that, when you have realistic settings on, and other tweaks to the advanced settings to make it hard. :dance

I'm determined to complete the Bart o' Portugese that I am playing with it on right now. Something tells me it might take a while with all these boat trips. :yes

Anyone else actually played with this setting on? Or are playing with it enabled right now? I would be interested to know. :doff

Well, @Jonty... I personally don't have the guts to try the Iron Man mode, because... well it is very hard and doesn't forgive anything. It'll be a challenge for you for sure. Good luck!

I don't use Ironman mode for two reasons. I am hopeless at navigating without a compass and often miss islands completely. One time I was on the southwest corner of Martinique and set a course of NorthWest. :keith When I finally went into the worldmap to find out where I was I found I was off the map NorthWest of Cozumel! I had sailed across the map and missed every island. :wp

Then I really don't have the patience and go to the world map to just get there. On the other hand, when I have a good ship and fair weather sometimes I'll turn off the overlay and just watch her sail.

i'm reluctant to use it since the worldmap can be handy for dodging a bug. otherwise it wouldn't really hinder my playing style at all, since i play within it's criteria anyway.

I used it for half of the Bartolomeu storyline, so got quite used to naviagting and getting to islands fairly accuratly. I'm going to have a shot at doing the entire Nathaniel Hawk storyline using just iron man mode and other generally harder settings, such as swashbuckler dificulty (if I actually feel that brave during the time) and other altered options.

I've tried it out(just the once) to see that the features it is meant to trigger work etc, and after we are out of beta stage and have things running ship-shape i might well give it a proper go(although i'm still really dependant on the spyglass info - i don't know the ships well enough yet!) as all the other settings are pretty much as i play. I am concerned about the bug issue that morgan mentions though, so hopefully we can work that out also. I nav with or without instruments, i think the most important one for me is the speed reading on the second compass, as with that i can work out how to escape pirate or enemy ships best.

It really is for the hard core player with a lot of knowledge about the game ships, and quite a fun as an ultimate challange to test yourself against :keith

I usually aim to play with iron man mode on often, but I wasn't aware of any bugs I think. Actually, if I can recall right, the icon that shows your position on maps is inaccurate. When I get to land ho somewhere, it shows me that I'm off in god knows where, when I know I am clearly not.

I just wish I could switch around settings to disbale world map, while keeping spyglass info and all that for example.

Back