• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help i'm getting owned by everything and everyone!! HELP!

Igor

Landlubber
i'm playing the latest stable version of GOF and i started as peter blood. i finished the intro quest and captured the spanish frigate, then i sold it since i needed the money and bought a smaller class 7 ship. i don't remember its name but it has around 900 cargo space and a crew of 64, and 8 guns. i figured i could use it to do some trading and work my way up to bigger ships as i get more money. then i discovered that upon entering the world map my nation had changed to pirate, which meant all ports were off limits to me except bermuda. i still had my trading license that i stole during the intro quest which allowed me to do some smuggling between english ports but it has now expired and i am completely stuck. and i don't have enough money to buy a bigger ship either.

i can't trade since i'm a pirate, and my weak ship gets owned by EVERYTHING. no matter who i attack and try to board i always get wrecked. i can attack the smallest class 7 merchants but when i board them i instantly get raped. and i can't defeat them using cannons either since my cannons are pathetically weak and my ship doesn't support heavier ones. but what really gets me is boarding. it never used to be this hard to board a ship. i even cheated and gave my crew master experience in boarding as a test but i STILL get raped by even the smallest merchant ships when i try to board! WTF! i am playing on level 5 difficulty, so it's not like i've cranked it up to the max. did GOF change every NPC ship to have max fighting experience or something?

i am now completely stuck. my money is slowly depleting due to crew wages and i have no way to make money since i can't trade or capture any ships. i'm basically fucked. so what do i do now? and can i mod the soldier experience of NPC ships somehow?

for those who are too lazy to read my text here are my questions:

1. how do i make money now that i can't trade or capture any ships?

2. how can i mod enemy ship's crew experience?

As I remember the Peter Blood start is the hardest one of all, and now you have found out why. The game is pretty hard at first anyway and handicapping yourself like that only makes it worse.

I suggest starting a new game as a different character.

As I remember the Peter Blood start is the hardest one of all, and now you have found out why. The game is pretty hard at first anyway and handicapping yourself like that only makes it worse.

I suggest starting a new game as a different character.

well it didn't use to be this hard. the GOF mod just made it completely impossible. in vanilla you wouldn't get your nationality changed to pirate so you could still go to bermuda and bribe the diplomat to restore your relations so you could trade. then you could trade your way up to bigger ships and do whatever you want after that. now you get completely handicapped by GOF which forces your nationality to pirate effectively cutting you off from everything. and as if that wasn't enough all the NPC ships seem to have elite navy SEALs for crews. like wtf!? it wouldn't be so bad if i could at least capture the smallest and weakest merchants with my master crew but i can't even do that. the NPC crews have obviously been ridiculously buffed up by the GOF mod. is there a way to change them back to normal?

What kind of ships are you trying to board ? and how much crew do they have compared to you ? i know that if i had 30 crew and they had 90 every one of them would be friggin rambo it was insane but if our crews were close in number or if i had more it was fine.

What kind of ships are you trying to board ? and how much crew do they have compared to you ? i know that if i had 30 crew and they had 90 every one of them would be friggin rambo it was insane but if our crews were close in number or if i had more it was fine.

don't know how many crew members they have since i only have a cheap spyglass but even when i boarded ships that were physically smaller than mine (which means they most likely had less crew than me) AND my crew had "master" skill levels i STILL lost!

don't know how many crew members they have since i only have a cheap spyglass but even when i boarded ships that were physically smaller than mine (which means they most likely had less crew than me) AND my crew had "master" skill levels i STILL lost!

well i finally managed to capture a few ships and start doing some trading between the pirate ports. all is well now. i make decent profits from trading and i can work my way up now. this thread can now be ignored.

Good job pressing on Igor! Getting through those tough situations and beating the odds is always a great feeling.

yeah i didn't even realize there were any other pirate ports than bermuda ( forgot about them since it was years since i last played the game). once i realized that, i was able to start trading until i could buy a bigger ship. then i could start capturing ships and after that the sky's the limit. now i'm level 14 and have a 52 gun frigate that i captured from some english dogs (i've got a dutch LOM so england is hostile to me).

Last edited:
Yes the Peter Blood character was changed so after completing the quest England would remain hostile to you (didn't make much sense to complete the storyline only to find you could sail back into port and the English would be like oh welcome captain). It makes Peter Blood more challenging but also makes that character more fun to play as.

Yes. Peter Blood is my favorite character but it's tough to play with.
The easier way, after escaping with Frigate Cinca Linga, it's to sail to Guadeloupe or Martinique and moor you ship (be sure that you'have enough gold to store your ship AND to buy a class 7 ship).
This Frigate it's one of the best ship in game; strong and quick enough to resist and fight warships !

When you have you class 7 ship, try to make mission for the governors, the moneylenders, the shipwrights and for citizen. Play dice or card (beware to cheaters and to not lost your money).
You can try to buy goods from store (but i doubt you can have any mission at this point since your hold it's too small) and sell those goods in other island.

Make this until you have enough money to buy a decent ship and crew. :)

Back