• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

Those are all new item types. I don't think that was ever added to the auto-equipping code.
I could see about adding it.
Well, that was easy. Done for LOCKPICK_ITEM_TYPE, CLOCK_ITEM_TYPE and COMPASS_ITEM_TYPE. Please test on the next release. :doff

How about some very small island - low, with palms, to appear on the battlemaps ? The size of a 5m x 5m but with lush vegetation, high 5-6 palms, bushes and a monkey or something ? Because so far there is only high rocky stuff everywhere. Which is not bad, but for variety ?

Bartolomeu made an "Isle" location model that is sort-of like that. He hasn't released the storyline update that uses it yet though.

In the future, how 'bout increasing the gamblers money and adding one or two new selectable bet when gambling? like 5000? so it can be a source for money when needed badly(considering how lucky the player is, of course).:D :dance
Code:
    switch(gameBet)
    {
        case 0:    SetSelectable("BET_1",true); break;
        case 100:  SetSelectable("BET_2",true); break;
        case 200:  SetSelectable("BET_3",true); break;
        case 500:  SetSelectable("BET_4",true); break;
        case 1000: SetSelectable("BET_5",true); break;
        case 2000: SetSelectable("BET_6",true); break;
    --> case 5000: SetSelectable("BET_1",true); break; <--
    }

I think this was an idea a long time before: Making lights for ships at night? I know that the locators are a problem but.. maybe we could do it by using particles, like with fire and smoke? Wouldn't that be possible?

This is what I said on the subject on the ModDB several months ago:

The first problem is attaching those lights to the ship. Ashore, that is handled with locators. However, the game engine doesn't allow for them at sea attached to moving objects. And it isn't possible to read out the coordinates of a newly added locator type either.

The only theoretical way of doing it is through the same method used for the particle effects on the steamships for example. Eg. by using coordinates instead. However, this requires complex formulas because the ship-stabilized coordinates for the lights have to be converted to world-stabilized to be able to be generated in the correct location.

To do this correctly, that means you have to take the ship's x,y,z coordinates and subsequently correct the light's coordinates for course, pitch and roll angle. While theoretically this should be possible, I have never managed to make this work properly despite doing a fair few experiments with them.

In fact, the steamship smoke emission point that is calculated in similar fashion somehow shifts backwards when picking up speed. I have never been able to figure out why that happens and only managed to make it less obvious with a speed-based correction factor. While for smoke it isn't so obvious, with ship lights you would immediately notice things being wrong.

Not to mention that I never managed to work the pitch and roll angle compensation into the formula as that is not quite needed for the steamships.

Also, it seems that the transparency of particle effects at sea are treated differently than ashore. Using the same effect from the street lights at sea results in a textured squares instead of the intended effect.

If you're interested, the relevant code can be found in PROGRAM\NK.c under void StackSteamPuff(). At the bottom of that function, you will find some outcommented code of mine where I was experimenting with trying to make this work.

I'd be very happy if someone could make it work, but I tried and failed. :shrug

well I have to say that the fire on ship-decks stays pretty good at his place... do you know where the code for these particles is?

That is done with proper locators on the ship models: exactly the method we'd WANT to use, but can't because the related code is hidden away in the game engine.
If only we could touch it, we'd have this sorted in no-time. Same as with the sidestep collision detection.
I know HOW to do it, I just can't because I can't get to the relevant code. :facepalm

ahhhh .. well thats nasty..
well there's no way to get to this, am I right? No one here knows how to get the code from the engine?

well there's no way to get to this, am I right? No one here knows how to get the code from the engine?
We can't. Nobody can. Nobody in the whole world has the source code for Storm 2.0 anymore. We've asked and confirmed that. :(

That's correct. And sad it is. We could've done SO much more if we'd have had it.
But we're going to have to continue rowing with the oars we've got, like we've always done.

Back