• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hi all after longer time

Rad

Privateer
Yesterday I obtained AOP2 from US, installed it and started to play. So far I am not satisfied too much. So, I would like ask some basic questions about this game. I started to play it as it is first without any mods, but is this game somehow well playable at all in this basic version? I can't adjust keys as would want (I like using dirrectional arrows instead of WASD)so after some unsuccesful attempts I stayed for now at default keys which aren't too much good. I am at Barbados now but I am very, very often dead in situation which are complete enigmatic and illogical for me.I really don't know what to think about this game so far. I don't know if I should proceed with basic playing or to install some mods (but I don't know what because this game is completely new for me). Do you have experiences with playing baic game or changing keys for all movements from WASD to arrows? I am able to do it for ships but not for primary land and fight. Isn't basic AOP2 so bad as basic POTC? I was very looking forward at this game but now I am somehow disappoined so far. At least plot seems to me good by book as I am playing for Blood. And music from Sea Dogs is good too.

Welcome, old friend.

The basic vanilla game is quite a bit harder than other Storm engine games in thier default mode. Basically, it is no shame to decrease the difficulty until you are comfortable with fighting. Fighting multiple opponents on the Captain level is almost always a losing proposition for low level characters unless you are really good at swordfighting.

It depends on how you are playing too. If you are a "good" captain wanting reputation, money is a bit harder to come by than if you steal things. Note that you can steal and still be "good" as long as you don't get caught, of course. In my case, for RP reasons, I don't steal when my character is good.

One way to become more skillful quickly is to fight guards in enemy towns. On Captain level you'll only be able to do this until level 10 as after that the guards instantly respawn and can overwhelm you. On lower levels, you can do it throughout the game if you like.

My favorite place to do this is Hispaniola. You can land in La Vaga, a pirate haven. You need to travel inland a bit to find the settlement, it's in the next zone from where you land. This is where you will base yourself since you'll be able to sell, resupply pistal ammo, and sleep in the tavern during the day.

The gaurds in Santo Domingo (and in all towns as far as I know) enter "night mode" at 23:00 hours. That means that there are far less of them than during the day, and also guards will not be posted at the gate to the jungle where you'll be entering. Guards go back to day mode at 06:00.

So. sleep until evening. You'll wake about somewhere between midnight and 01:00 hours. To get to Santo Domingo:

From the pirate gate take the exit that is one to the left of where you entered from the port. Next zone take the furthest left. Next zone, take the path and exit next to the cave enterance (it looks like a well of sorts), not the immediate left, but the exit just to the right of it. Next zone: full left. Then you will be in the Santo Domingo zone... keep left and you'll see the gates.

When you enter, notice that you are automatically in a defensible position. The idea is to not get overwhelmed, of course, so try to isolate single gaurds and eliminate them. This will not only raise pistols and swords, but stealth as well. A strange game mechanic indeed; you raise stealth by "getting caught".

Once you've gotten caught and killed one, exit back out the gate and accelerate game speed to +3 until 5 minutes pass. This will reset the guards so that when you re-enter the town the battle music is off and you can be "caught" once again.

If you get in trouble or don't like how things are developing (like oncoming guards moving towards you in a group), sheath your sword and run out to the jungle again.

Save often. :) You WILL die. But hopefully, over time, you will be better. Even so, without a fighter officer at your side, meeting up with three rapists in the jungle means death at low level.

The key to the game is the fighting and sailing perks. They make you much better than before. The amount of points you've put in to Talent will affect how fast you get them.

In addition, most people like to concentrate on physical skills like Endurance, Strength and so on because these can greatly affect you in fighting. The other skills based on attributes that you didn't specialize (like luck, for example or insight) in will still raise up as you use them. In my opinion though, those things seem to raise at a slower rate than skills that are based on high attributes that you have selected.

Since you are playing Blood, this is considered harder than a "normal" start. Check out the walkthough in the above sticky called "preparations for a walkthrough". You can die as Blood simply by not completing something on time. It is frustrating. You might want to try a normal non-Blood start to get used to the game first if you still have difficulty.

Good luck! Sorry I like the default keys so I don't know about changing them.

Yesterday I obtained AOP2 from US, installed it and started to play. So far I am not satisfied too much. So, I would like ask some basic questions about this game. I started to play it as it is first without any mods, but is this game somehow well playable at all in this basic version? I can't adjust keys as would want (I like using dirrectional arrows instead of WASD)so after some unsuccesful attempts I stayed for now at default keys which aren't too much good. I am at Barbados now but I am very, very often dead in situation which are complete enigmatic and illogical for me.I really don't know what to think about this game so far. I don't know if I should proceed with basic playing or to install some mods (but I don't know what because this game is completely new for me). Do you have experiences with playing baic game or changing keys for all movements from WASD to arrows? I am able to do it for ships but not for primary land and fight. Isn't basic AOP2 so bad as basic POTC? I was very looking forward at this game but now I am somehow disappoined so far. At least plot seems to me good by book as I am playing for Blood. And music from Sea Dogs is good too.

Rad: the problem with this game is it is not designed as a new game but it is simply a super MOD for the older game made by group of russian fans. So the consequances from this are: 1. There is no learning curve (you are supposed to know everything about the game just as the fans who made it knew everything); 2. You have access to everything from the very beginning including quests and battles which you shouldn't do untill you are level 30+

Hi Scroggy and Handel too.

Scroggy, thanks for your extensive hints, anyway for the beginning I would need to answer some plain questions. What adjusting of keys are you using? Is basic game quite good playable? Did you ever play basic game? What mods are you using?

And I have problem already. I received a dagger at plantation. So I went to empty house in town and trained some fighting slashes, combos and so on. After that I wanted deactivate my dagger by removing from my figure (there is button for it), so as no quards can see it but I can't do it in any way. Why? It is strange.

Ahoy thar, Rad, ol' matey! :cheeky
Fred Bob currently be a playing de basic game only! :onya
Mebbe later, he'll try him some o' Jonathan's very basic mods! :yes
Ye be right, matey, de early game be purty hard indeed! :facepalm
Save a lot! :shrug

Hi Scroggy and Handel too.

Scroggy, thanks for your extensive hints, anyway for the beginning I would need to answer some plain questions. What adjusting of keys are you using?

I am using the default WASD setup. You can change some under options if I remember correctly, but since I haven't done that I'm not sure if what you want is there. Hopefully someone else might have more information. Although, I assume you prefer arrows because you are left-handed. I'd imagine that there must be a way to accomodate left handed players. I'll have a look in game when I get home from work to see if I can see anything about that.

Is basic game quite good playable? Did you ever play basic game?

There is nothing really wrong with the basic game as Fred Bob says; I played it for two months. The only issue is that there are a couple of quests that don't play out exactly right without mods. Getting started at low level is a challenge though, no question about it, and the current mods don't change that.

What mods are you using?

I use the JsCombinedCodeMod found here.

The mod itself is actually a combination of several smaller mods. It adds new ships and playable characters (including females), adds in some useful functionality making maps easier to use, potion use more logical, and the ability to give orders to your fighter officer companions (such as hold position or follow you). It also gives you the ability to tell your companion ships what ammo to use, and it fixes some bugs with quests as mentioned above and also fixes some issues with the ability to repair. And more.

The mod does not greatly change the game. It does not provide new quests nor does it make the difficulty any easier. I would definitely recommend it, however, because the things it does provide are useful and nice, in my opinion.

And I have problem already. I received a dagger at plantation. So I went to empty house in town and trained some fighting slashes, combos and so on. After that I wanted deactivate my dagger by removing from my figure (there is button for it), so as no quards can see it but I can't do it in any way. Why? It is strange.

I am not the forum's foremost authority on the Blood campaign, but if I remember correctly the guards are scripted to remove your weapon even if you never equipped it at all. Don't worry; without giving too much away, when you need a weapon you will have one. :)

I've never tried to remove a weapon actually, though I have successfully removed a cuirass.

I have changed the key comination for real time sailing so that i can use the arrows but i can't change the default key's for world map which are like you WASD, thats ok though because it makes real time sailing more easy and world map sailing isn't complicated just different to how i would like it to be. I have changed a few other key's like firing my pistol is now the tab key just for quick and easy use, searching a body is 1 (not numatic key pad) and putting my sword away is 5 (again not numatic pad) Thats all i have changed, the left mouse button is ok for firing cannon's takes some time to get use to but i find it better now that i am use to it.

Save often is an obvious tip, do trade runs for the store owner, this will build your trade skill up and navigation skill too aswell as making you money to pay for your ships running costs, oh and its for the good characters so you don't loose reputaion points for doing it.

When you capture a ship go to the cargo hold and release or hire any of the captains you have prisoner down there if they won't join tell them they are free to go because if you sell them to the governer your reputaion drops, that includes pirate captains aswell (yes very weird, why would handing a pirate in effect your reputaion :shrug).

Ahoj Fred Bob you old pirate! I greet you. How are you? I hope you are well. What about Skull? Is here too somewhere? :gday

Ahoj Luke. :gday

Scroggy, thanks for your hints again. I hope we will stay in contact. You told something about normal start.... playing for Blood isn't normal? I had three possibilities for start as a Spaniard, merchant and surgeon and corsair Blood, so I chose Blood becase I know this character very well because I read the book several times. As I can see most of you are using default keys or only slightly modified keys. I am slowly becoming used to at this WASD and so on, so I will have at least less work in some new installation of the game. I remember exchanging of handling in POTC was every time a little toilsome.I think I will be trying to proceed with basic game as Blood for now and I will see what will happen and I will be liking the game. :drunk

But there is one drawback at me just know because I am playing this time simultaneusly three very good game AOP2-COAS, Risen and Dragon Age Origins. So, have to somehow switching my games' playing. :dance

You told something about normal start.... playing for Blood isn't normal? I had three possibilities for start as a Spaniard, merchant and surgeon and corsair Blood, so I chose Blood becase I know this character very well because I read the book several times. As I can see most of you are using default keys or only slightly modified keys. I am slowly becoming used to at this WASD and so on, so I will have at least less work in some new installation of the game. I remember exchanging of handling in POTC was every time a little toilsome.I think I will be trying to proceed with basic game as Blood for now and I will see what will happen and I will be liking the game. :drunk

But there is one drawback at me just know because I am playing this time simultaneusly three very good game AOP2-COAS, Risen and Dragon Age Origins. So, have to somehow switching my games' playing. :dance

When you create a character in the default game, you have a choice of three avatars and three careers (mechant, corsair and adventurer). If you select the Blood character that's the only one that begins with a scripted campaign. If you select another avatar and choose the corsair career (or any career for that matter), you get a standard start.

That means you simply get to spend your attribute points and then are dumped in to a town that is whatever nationality you chose to be.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Dragon Age. I won't get to play it for a while. :)

AHOY YE SWABS YE!

I's been tryin' t'get mi flags ans banner up! I sees dat ye has got yorn up Rad what is de sizes 'ere..I think dat mine is too big???? :shrug

Hi Ben! Welcome!

I'm going to try and put my stuff up this week.

I'll let you know any issues.

I found out that there i some 'glitch' somewhere Scroggy on another thread ye has to see a mod. Take a look in 'Technical' I's got a thread thar mate! :keith :keith

Back