• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hey...

superdurnius

Corsair
Coordinator
3D Artist
Storm Modeller
Hello.

I'm sorry for long in-activity. New work game me a lot of workload and I barelly had any time to sit and play some video games to relax my mind, not even talking about moding something.

And just few moments ago I ran into place called Old Maps Online and I at once thoght about PiratesAhoy. Then I figured, that Damn, I was off to long from you guys. Really sorry about that.

Now I do have some more free time sometimes, will try to find some time for HoO. Sadly, no promisses :(

So, just take this note:
Maps of Greater Antilles

Hey, @Pieter Boelen

Was just scrolling thro and found facebook post of PA! modding contest... and you know... clicked the link... then logged in... then started to fall into memories... What's up?

Was just scrolling thro and found facebook post of PA! modding contest... and you know... clicked the link... then logged in... then started to fall into memories...
Looks like @begginfokillz' and @The Nameless Pirate's efforts are already paying off then!

Good to see ya in these waters again. :cheers

What's up?
Honestly, been very busy with work lately. Certainly this week.
And my network connection is pretending to be a lighthouse, which isn't quite what I had in mind for it. :razz

Still, it's always fun to see that cool things like this modding contest and @Grey Roger's and @Jack Rackham's modding efforts are still happening. :woot

And my network connection is pretending to be a lighthouse, which isn't quite what I had in mind for it. :razz
A lighthouse is fine, it's a beacon to help you navigate. Start worrying if it pretends to be a submarine. :p

Talking of surfacing, welcome back @superdurnius! :rumgone :aar (Someone else has nicked all the rum so I'll have to use different welcoming pirates...)

I mean that it is going ON and OFF and ON and OFF.
And ON.
And OFF.
And you can guess this one. :razz

Oh, well thankfully I wasn't correct, harder to fix something on fire.

Funnily enough I had similar problems a while ago.
Turned out that pushing the reset button on the router fixed it.

Funnily enough I had similar problems a while ago.
Turned out that pushing the reset button on the router fixed it.
I had the problem before; with a different internet provider and a different router,
I'm forced to conclude the source of the problem is outside my apartment.
There's a technician coming to look at it next week.
Good thing too, because working at home like this is just not feasible. :facepalm

I'm not sure that I'm back. Still testing waters.
Fair enough!
Hopefully the waters are still somewhat warm enough here.
Even despite all the snow:
SnowPirates.jpg

I'm learning blender now.
My brother @TechnicJelle uses that too.
He says plenty good things about it. :onya

Also, I'm working as fulltime programmer...
Oooh; congratulations!
What do you work on?

I thought I had replied here. Oh well better late than never.

I'm not sure that I'm back. Still testing waters.
Well that's something, no need to jump all in to regret it.
Not that I think you will regret it.

The 3D program that I used to model with, got discontuinued. I'm learning blender now.
My brother @TechnicJelle uses that too.
He says plenty good things about it. :onya
I also used it a little bit to replace Maya 5 to a degree that's possible.
As that is quite old, unfortunately you can't avoid it entirely for PotC modeling.
Maya 5 sometimes wouldn't let me save, so depending on when it happened it could be very annoying.

More specifically I now have tried a fork of Blender named Bforartists that @Cerez recommended to me a while ago.
It is Blender but with a more user friendly UI. ;)
Home - Bforartists

Fair enough!
Hopefully the waters are still somewhat warm enough here.
Even despite all the snow:
snowpirates-jpg.38265
You get snow? All I get is rain, and that only occasionally. o_O

Meanwhile...
In pictures: Storm Filomena hits Spain as Greeks bask in heatwave
xD

Of course it does sometimes snow here too.
But at least where I live it is rare. Maybe you can see snow on the mountains sometimes, but rarely right next to you.
That's not to say that all of Greece is like this, in the north it definitely gets snow more regularly for example.

Hey,

To much dialog to quote you all, so I'll answer as topics :)

About snow:
Yeah... In my location there is sh*tload of snow. Good that I know how to drive in snow, have been stuck only once this year, and managed to get out by my self :) ... When it snows in my place, it's good. For few weeks, there is lack of sh*tty drivers , on the road, since they, either, don't manage to get their cars on the road or crash it somewhere :).

About blender:
As of 3D program... I started to model with "Valve|Softimage mood tool". Which got released commercialy as "Softimage|XSI". Then it got bought by Autodesk, and released together with "Autodesk Maya 2013" and "Autodesk 3Ds Max 2013", called "Autodesk Softimage 2013". Which, god discontinued latest version is "Autodesk Softimage 2014" if I remember right.
And as I tested blender, I guess there is plenty of tools to call it sophisticated software. And those tools are pretty easy. It has surface sculptor implemented, similar to zbrush and has plenty of addons and implementations of other 3th party software and so on... As of my first look, it's harder to get addons and plugins for maya and max (even harder for softimage) than for blender. I like that concept.

About work as programmer:
I work full time as PHP programmer. I create software for companies to use as administration systems. It's like completely private website, that people can use as sophisticated software, but there is no need install anything and all stuff is in cloud by default. Already have few completed projects and now working for statistics analytic company. My system calculates statistical sales data for 4 countries and spits out pdf's, ppt's, xlsx's and so on with statistical data for clients. Current project is interesting, since entire server is offline standing in the office, as separate server and has dedicated all of server resources. One of the heavier calculations are already down to 40min (down from ~4h) of calculation, thanks to data migration from excel sheets and their visual basic programing to my SQL and PHP environment. But I got sidetracked there :).

About waters:
Yeah... Don't have any idea for pirate project or something (any ideas?). I think I had my old files in archive somewhere... Had some kind of itch to return to this hobby.
My current hobbies are woodworking and hobby-miniature painting (for board games)... When I have time, that is :) ...

Last edited:
About snow:
Yeah... In my location there is sh*tload of snow. Good that I know how to drive in snow, have been stuck only once this year, and managed to get out by my self :) ... When it snows in my place, it's good. For few weeks, there is lack of sh*tty drivers , on the road, since they, either, don't manage to get their cars on the road or crash it somewhere :).
:rofl :rofl :rofl

I love snow.
If it's going to be cold, there might as well be some snow to go with it.
Adds plenty fun!
Unfortunately a week after our massive snowfall, it is now all warm and sunny.
Such a shame... :wp

About blender:
As of 3D program... I started to model with "Valve|Softimage mood tool". Which got released commercialy as "Softimage|XSI". Then it got bought by Autodesk, and released together with "Autodesk Maya 2013" and "Autodesk 3Ds Max 2013", called "Autodesk Softimage 2013". Which, god discontinued latest version is "Autodesk Softimage 2014" if I remember right.
And as I tested blender, I guess there is plenty of tools to call it sophisticated software. And those tools are pretty easy. It has surface sculptor implemented, similar to zbrush and has plenty of addons and implementations of other 3th party software and so on... As of my first look, it's harder to get addons and plugins for maya and max (even harder for softimage) than for blender. I like that concept.
That sounds SO confusing!
Glad you found a sensible program now. :onya

About work as programmer:
I work full time as PHP programmer. I create software for companies to use as administration systems. It's like completely private website, that people can use as sophisticated software, but there is no need install anything and all stuff is in cloud by default. Already have few completed projects and now working for statistics analytic company. My system calculates statistical sales data for 4 countries and spits out pdf's, ppt's, xlsx's and so on with statistical data for clients. Current project is interesting, since entire server is offline standing in the office, as separate server and has dedicated all of server resources. One of the heavier calculations are already down to 40min (down from ~4h) of calculation, thanks to data migration from excel sheets and their visual basic programing to my SQL and PHP environment. But I got sidetracked there :).
Nice going!
Especially that performance improvement.
That's always REALLY satisfying to pull off. :cheeky

About waters:
Yeah... Don't have any idea for pirate project or something (any ideas?). I think I had my old files in archive somewhere... Had some kind of itch to return to this hobby.
Perhaps this is an option?
Discussion - Silent Mary POTC SALAZAR SHIP MOD idea
A large part of the modeling is already done; but some final touches are needed.

My current hobbies are woodworking and hobby-miniature painting (for board games)... When I have time, that is :) ...
Cool too! :onya

Back