• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Rank stuck

Marki

Sailor
i can't improve my rank anymore. rank 46 since more than four years(?), done a lot of quests in that time, taken many ships, but rank is stuck. does anyone know this problem? i play a no-mod-game hoping that's not the reason.. the reason could be: my reputation to spain became hostile after attacking san juan and i lost my spanish commodore-titel. is it impossible to get higher rank without title? is it possible to regain the title? i should buy a spanish license and try when i'm back from coas. won't work i think, evil game. great game. thanks.

Interesting. I have only got past level 40 twice in the two and a half years I've been playing COAS. I think you may be right. Save your current game in a safe spot and then go to work for the French or Dutch (someone else) and see if you progress any more.

I wonder if there is a cap. I think the highest I've ever gone is level 42. Any swabs out there make it higher than 46???? :shrug

MK

I have never reached rank 30 lol, but i will have to play COAS now and stick to that savegame just to see if their is a cap onthe rank or not, if their is then we will have to figure out where it is and increase it. I know using the cheats you can increase your rank above 120. In fact i am sure i read someone who did have a rank of 50 or so which would mean it is possible in less that person used the cheats. :shrug

good idea. if it's not possible to regain my spanish title, which i think will be the case, i'll work for my french amigos. i guess i won't be able to reach a french title because it's not possible to access more than one national quest line, but probably i'll be able to improve my rank again. i'll tell you about my fate later, friends. thanks.

hallo again I've worked now for the french, governor jobs I mean. the french general governor doesn't give me jobs, saying I've already worked for the spanish. working for the french governor I get good reputation to france of course but no rank improvement. I don't think it's a cap here because it's rank 46 and 11 of 29 in experience (right click on rank) and 46 11/29 doesn't seem to be a logic mark for a cap. In russia it probably does... I think my progress stopped eigher after my reputation to spain became hostile and i lost my commodore title because I had captured san juan or after my operation to improve major stats (demon azzy). so i guess eigher rank improvement stops after losing a nation title (you could avoid that by regaining good reputation to a nation each time you've captured a city of that nation, never falling to reputation hostile) or it stops if you choose the major stats operation option in demon azzy's quest. and it stops forever:( I'll go back to the coas (game save) and later continue working for spain, probably losing the title only "throws you back" in rank improvement and you can improve it again years later? i don't think so but it's my last hope:) commodore sanschi is setting sails

I can't see that been the problem, i have yet to reach double figures in the rank department but i am getting their lol. I am going to try and play COAS for a few solid hours today so that i can get my rank up.

friends! I do not only have rank problems nobody else has, I also have rank answers to rank questions noboby asks :onya
1. When you reach 100 in every personal ability, then your personal progress stops. That means no "level up" anymore, no more rank progress, no more progress in health points and energy. :facepalm
2. I lost the spanish commodore title exactly here: ascold quest, leif ericson. last save as diego espinoza: title: commodore. then the attack on basse-terre (you look like leif). next save as d. espinoza again: title has JUST GONE. I have no idea why, seems to be just a weird bug?
point 1 is interesting in a strategic point of view: It's actualy kind of a time limit in this game. If you want to become a pirate with high rank and incredible health points and energy points you have to hurry. taking cities from the sea seems to be a way to level up fast. also sea battles. When you reach 100 in personal abilities it's over. The question is then: What rank were you able to reach in that time? :shock my settings for the next vanilla game are fixed: everything in power, endurance, 10 points. talent? I don't want to learn fast, I want to reach high rank :yes , like the crazy rank 53 officers :whipa I get with rank 46. talent: 3 points.
2. I was completely wrong about the reasons of losing my national questline title. You can have war with the spanish, they can set bounty on your head, you won't lose the title.
hasta la vista

Sanschi

Lately I've been trying a new way of playing, not doing any nation related missions, no work for governors or national quest lines, I have a national flag but am 400% privateer, work on my own. :ixi :sail

I think this gives the character a more personal and unbalance growth and is more personally satisfying, the one true objective in the game is freedon and money, when you read carefully in to the kill the beggars quest you sense this reality. Perhaps playing in this way could help you to reach a higher rank, since you rely more on your personal independent action, without a national unbrella. :keith

After some number crunching, I believe that:

a) Every rank costs (35 - Talent) skill points (1 skill point = 1% in any skill).
b) Both skill points (Personal and Ship) counts toward rank.

So:

1) The rank stops growing when both types of skill points are depleted (rounded down: for Talent = 10, 100 skil points are exactly 4 ranks; for Talent = 5, 100 skill points are 3,33333 ranks and the fraction is lost).
2) More Talent brings more ranks.
3) The max rank is 56 with Talent = 10: (700 + 700)/25 = 56. A little less, actually: skills doesn't start at zero (may be 55).

Cheers.
buho (A).

After some number crunching, I believe that:

a) Every rank costs (35 - Talent) skill points (1 skill point = 1% in any skill).
b) Both skill points (Personal and Ship) counts toward rank.

So:

1) The rank stops growing when both types of skill points are depleted (rounded down: for Talent = 10, 100 skil points are exactly 4 ranks; for Talent = 5, 100 skill points are 3,33333 ranks and the fraction is lost).
2) More Talent brings more ranks.
3) The max rank is 56 with Talent = 10: (700 + 700)/25 = 56. A little less, actually: skills doesn't start at zero (may be 55).

Cheers.
buho (A).

That's very interesting! thank you for crunching the numbers, buho!

I agree, navegador, I also enjoy the free sailing. some quests or quest parts are fantastic, but working for governors for example or the church or taking back stolen ships is not only boring it's also a waste of energy since you can do more profitable thing in the same time instead.

Back