• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] is there a way to edit "hiring crew" skills?

imranies

Landlubber
Hi! sorry if this is the wrong thread to make the topic, I'm a newbie here :)

I've played AOP2 for a while now, really fun and enjoyable game. But there're one thing I hope we can change in this game, which is the hiring crew skills in the tavern.

When we're going to hire some crew in the tavern, they have different skills right? (soldiers, cannogers, sailors) do you guys know any way for us to edit it (using mods or cheats or etc) so that their skills are always full? meaning that if we go to hire crew in any tavern, their skills are always "seadogs".

Waiting for your reply :)

Hi! sorry if this is the wrong thread to make the topic, I'm a newbie here :)

I've played AOP2 for a while now, really fun and enjoyable game. But there're one thing I hope we can change in this game, which is the hiring crew skills in the tavern.

When we're going to hire some crew in the tavern, they have different skills right? (soldiers, cannogers, sailors) do you guys know any way for us to edit it (using mods or cheats or etc) so that their skills are always full? meaning that if we go to hire crew in any tavern, their skills are always "seadogs".

Waiting for your reply :)

i dont know it that is possible. but why would you do that ? ... if you want a somewhat experianced crew go to the pirates take on as many sailors as possible, then go board some ships and they will be sea dogs in no time . + you get the loot from the ships .

well, I like the the style of AOP 1 where we don't have to rely on crew skills (and only captain / officers skills) for fast sailing and successful boarding. Its kinda annoying that our ships speed/turning speed, cannon reloading speed, etc are dependant on crew skills as well. Its understandable if the crew is killed that the cannon reloading speed is slower, but the lack of crew skills made the battle much slower. I guess I prefer faster actions in the game.

Also, do you know how to edit the turbo time (sorry if this is the wrong word to use..) i think the key is R. Instead of time X2, maybe adjust it to time X6 for example. Is there a way to edit it?

well, I like the the style of AOP 1 where we don't have to rely on crew skills (and only captain / officers skills) for fast sailing and successful boarding. Its kinda annoying that our ships speed/turning speed, cannon reloading speed, etc are dependant on crew skills as well. Its understandable if the crew is killed that the cannon reloading speed is slower, but the lack of crew skills made the battle much slower. I guess I prefer faster actions in the game.

Also, do you know how to edit the turbo time (sorry if this is the wrong word to use..) i think the key is R. Instead of time X2, maybe adjust it to time X6 for example. Is there a way to edit it?

That is indeed a question. It is sopose to be possible. You press R for x2 time speed, and then use + and - keys on the numeric keypad to incrise or decrise time speed multiplicator. But what to do if you are playing on laptop who doesnt have a numeric keypad(like me). Well laptops like that usually have a " Function" button which you hold, and while the button is down, It assigns keys a unique function. So for example (in my case) keys [ 7, 8, 9, u, i, o, p, j, k, l, č(thats a letter form croatian alphabet), m, ., - ] have a function of being a numeric keypad while function button is pressed.

In AoP 1 crew experience existed, too. I do not know how it would have influenced gamplay though. But you are right right in the beginning this is very annoying. But when you advance in your skills it will become much better. Except for boarding the crew skills are not that important later on, that is just how it occurs to me.

Yes editing crew experience is possible, the bellow code is taken from GOF but you can increase the value so that all crew at taverns are maxed out already or have no skill what so ever. The file you need is Program\scripts == crew.C

Code:
switch (sti(rTown.nation))
{
case ENGLAND:	
eSailors   = 25; 
eCannoners = 5;
eSoldiers  = 10;
break;
case FRANCE:	
eSailors   = 10; 
eCannoners = 25;
eSoldiers  = 5; 
break;
case SPAIN:		
eSailors   = 5; 
eCannoners = 10;
eSoldiers  = 25; 
break;
case PIRATE:	
eSailors   = 15; 
eCannoners = 15;
eSoldiers  = 25; 
break;
case HOLLAND:	
eSailors   = 15; 
eCannoners = 15;
eSoldiers  = 5;
break;
}

wow, really glad that it was possible :D

hmm, what max value can we put there, so that the crew exp will be maxed?

hmm...i've tried it but it doesn't seem to work. The crew skills at taverns are still mostly low and different. I set all of it to 25 though..

1) The max is 100; the game will keep the values between 1 and 100 with the ChangeCrewExp(...) calls you can find after the switch. So it is safe to put the figures at 100 even whith the code bumping them past the limit.

2) The UpdateCrewInColonies function (the one you are changing) is run at scheduled times (check Program\scripts\time_events.c, WorldSituationsUpdate) not when you open the tavern screen. You need to wait for the changes to take effect. Not sure how much..

Cheers.
buho (A).

LATER: mmm... may be the update is daily. Akella loves recursion.

In the next big version of GoF, why don't we put in a thing that lets you hire only one type of crew if you wish? So, let's say you're at some port, and you see that the sailors have high skill, but the cannoneers and soldiers are landlubbing pansies. Well, instead of having to hire all of them, maybe have an option to hire only sailors, and get your cannoneers and soldiers at some other town?

Back