• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] How to get point of sail upgrade in GOF 1.1.1

Well i know that but i mean witch files need to be changed to get it in game. like convert it from combined modpack version.

No idea. Actually I have not even idea about what the point of sail figures tell.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Point of sail can be alterd in Ships_init.c file (Age of Pirates 2\Program\Ships). Change refShip.fWindAgainstSpeed factor of ship you want to upgrade.
However (AFAIK) It wont affect ships you already have. You have to find or buy new ship of certain type to enjoy pimped ship.

What exactly the point of sail figures tell?

What a ship with 3.5 PoS can do and do not?

And a ship with 20 PoS?

How are they related with close hauling, close reaching, beam reaching, close running, running?

Cheers.
buho (A).

Point of sail is the angel of the wind in to the sail to get the ship moving.

I need to finetune the files to get point of sail upgrade in bermuda for GOF 1.1.1. if anybody would like to have them.

If only the upgrade could distiguish between a square rigged ship etc so that the point of sail would be greater for the ships that are more disigned for sailing into the wind as a pose to the square rigged ships which would have been much slower.

We can add descriptions to the base ships telling the sails configuration.

But I can do nothing without understanding what the PoS figures actually says. The Akella description is "bigger is better" and there is not tangible answers in the forum.

Very poetic that "angel of the wind" thing, liked it... but again: how is the PoS related to close hauling, close reaching, etc?

Cheers.
buho (A).

We can add descriptions to the base ships telling the sails configuration.

But I can do nothing without understanding what the PoS figures actually says. The Akella description is "bigger is better" and there is not tangible answers in the forum.

Very poetic that "angel of the wind" thing, liked it... but again: how is the PoS related to close hauling, close reaching, etc?

Cheers.
buho (A).

From how i read the code, the POS factors in ships overall speed and the wind against speed, so when you upgrade the ships speed ie, sails you improve the ships overall speed (not sure if this also improves against wind speed). So to make the game allow for upgrading the against wind speed it would need i expect new code to tell the game when upgrading the ships sails ie overall speed to take into acount the ships against wind speed so that it is also improved slightly.

Well that is just stupid. No ship, that I know of, can run faster than the wind.
sailr.gif

I'm very interrested in this modification. Is there a downloadlink somewhere?
The huge ships in GoF sail exactly one direction - where ever the wind blows - and that's really annoying...

Well that is just stupid. No ship, that I know of, can run faster than the wind.
sailr.gif
Most ships do these days ...

From what I understand that a lower POS can make ships harder to hit because of there low hulls. I may be completely wrong about that though. :shrug

The higher the POS of a ship, the faster it accelates and the more wind you catch on your sails, when not sailing directly with the wind.

Example of 2 ships sailing in 90 degrees off the direction of the wind and both have the exact same values in everything except POS, the one with higher POS will sail faster, than the one with lower POS, because the one with higher POS is able to catch more wind than the other one.

Also: It's a good thing, that there is no such upgrade possibility, otherwise this would cause too much imbalance between class 1 and class 7 ships. Low level ships should have the possiblity to escape from high level ships using their advantage in POS.

The Flying Dutchman should have normal speed and a very high value of POS in order to compete with its original from the movies, which was catching their victims against the wind, while the Black Pearl was fast sailing with the wind.

You know what is bothering me still, that ships can turn in circles on there keel with no wind or sails. I hate the circle turning that some ships do in order to get off both broadsides at you wile doing spin attacks that are not possible for sailing ships.
dunno.gif

Back