• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Dog of War

mk0

Powder Monkey
Erm... well this ship is described as one of the best ships in the game.

Stats:

Hull: 16678
Speed: 20.25
Man: 71.09
PoS: 6.23
Crew: 347
Cannons: 40

Imho the Dutch Manowar is way stronger than this vessel, I mean, it has a good speed, man, and PoS but the cannon power is a joke and with such a low amount of crew members one should not try to capture big battleships or colonies. So what's the deal of this ship? I am thinking about to sell it. What did you guys do with it?

I am kinda disappointed. All the pain I had to go through to solve that friggin damn painintheass CoAS quest and then this... :ng

Well, speed of 20 is super fast compared to other ships and combined with the PoS of 6.25 and Man. of 70 (all b4 upgrading) that is a very deadly ship from a distance. I understand your words about grasping other ships (class1 and/or 2) and capturing Forts but with 3-4 M-o-Ws in your sqadron, no Fort can survive, especially with the allied landing perk.
Me personally, I always sell it or stash it (Arabella as well) for I favor Class 3, 4 and 5 ships. I just love the way all the merchant vessels look like and ships that look like them with raised afts. My fav so far is the Dutch M-o-W (class 3) and fully upgraded is a Monster not to mention is a good looking ship.
Hull: 80K
Speed: 18
Man:80
PoS: 3.90
Hold 11K
Crew: 1800
Granted this is the best variation I have come across but they are all about the same.
In summary: with a good sqadron no town will be left unplunderd. Arrrgh... :dance

P.S.
I do not tweak any files, I just play the standard GoF modded game (with the patches).
The best part of the CoAS (imo) is the Morgan's Rapier, the proto glass and the two cats, apart form the fun and experience.

I agree Anjin, that is my favorite ship as well. I will often sail with fleets of two of them and a Dutch Pinnace, all upgraded. I trade and raid, playing the odd quest as I go along. :sail

However, lots of players love the Dog of War. It is wickedly fast out of the box with huge cannons for its size. With the Bermuda upgrades its a rocket ship on steroids. Players that prefer a game-style using smaller single hunting ships and seizing prizes, rather than taking forts/towns and tangling with MOWs love the Dog of War.

I have played like that occassionally and I love the Dog of War as well. I always stash it away like Anjin. :onya

Isn't this game great!

MK

I love the frigate constitution. I like the model and to play with it although its difficult to find a good point of view. The dog of war is over cheating. I think it even has more number of guns than can fit in the model.

I love the frigate constitution. I like the model and to play with it although its difficult to find a good point of view. The dog of war is over cheating. I think it even has more number of guns than can fit in the model.

Does the Dog Of War have the cannon duplication bug?

It didn't have the bug the last time I played it in 3.2.

I've made the comment before that anything larger than an 18 pounder would never have been mounted on a corvette - and 18 pounders are huge! But hey it's a video game and this is one of those rare special egg ships. We gotta have a little video game magic here and there. ;)

MK

Well, CM and GoF introduced in game tons of new ships, but in vanilla Dog of War is one of the best ships (I guess that's where the myth comes from).

Does the Dog Of War have the cannon duplication bug?
I don't play with it but i have started a game and it seems it's working. I meant the dog of war has 40 (4-4-16-16) guns but i can't count 16 guns in each side

That will be because 1 or more guns will have to locators for guns, the developers didn't actually make the ship hold the exact amount of guns (don't know why). Anyway some guns will fire more than once which is why is has 16 guns on each side, this can be seen with some ships ported over from COAS as well.

Back