• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Having more ships

Kdovi

Landlubber
Hi, I'm playing with the Combined Pack as a Buccaneer-ish character. I already have War Frigate (I think) and now I've managed to capture Black Pearl. Now, is AI in this game good enough to make keeping it worth the costs? Will it be useful in battle if I load it up with crew? Would any other kind of ship be useful? Again, I'm not playing as a merchant so I'm not in urgent need of glorified storage room. Thanks in advance.

Frigates make great pirate ships. If you are using the Combined mod, you can tell your AI ships to load different cannon shot, so that helps them be more effective. however don't forget the game uses the companions stats/skills/perks to govern how good they are in seab battles, boarding, stealth, everything basicly. So if your getting beaten a lot you probably have a bad captain at the helm.

You get to decide what is useful in this game when it comes to ships. What do you want? Durability? Speed? Ability to sail into the wind? Or just a sexy schooner?

Have fun mate. Feel free to come back if you have any more questions, and tell your friends if you like the game!

So if your getting beaten a lot you probably have a bad captain at the helm.
Yeeah, that's why I asked. Because I didn't have a good captain and enough crew so I was not sure if the AI would make the ship useful in battle or if it would just get in the way and would be a waste of money.
Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful :)

The crew's experience plays a big role too. You could have a captain with 100 in all stats with all the ship abilities, but the ship will just be a floating target if the crew is full of a few hundred shore loafers.

The Ai will often attack the ship with the least amount of crew onboard but this is not alway's the case as they will also taregt you a lot too. In the game i'm playing i have the Black Pearl as my flag ship, the Fleut Of War and the Battle Frigate both of which have captains who's stats are not that good and can just about sail the ships but with maximum crew onboard each of them they have been more than affective at holding off the enemy who have been using ships of equal size so far,

My tactics are normally for me to focus on the big ships and tell each companion to attack the smaller ships, i'm playing as a pirate so i have a bounty on my head from France and Dutch nations. I haven't attacked many English or Spanish fleets yet because for some reason i normally bump into Dutch or French fleets and only when i'm heading back to port for repairs do i come across a Spanish or English fleet.

The area of my focus is alway's around Bermuda and over to Tortuga, its rare that i go near Charlestown or any other English towns which would explain why i see so few of them.

Playing as a pirate cargohold does mean a lot to me, i don't capture and sell the ships (household rule of mine) so the cargoholds are important to me, if i attack a ship thats carrying a lot of cargo and i can't move it to my ship i will place a officer onboard and sell the cargo at Beruda then remove the officer thus sinking the ship.

Frigates are perfect for those who like to play as the pirates, what i look for is ships with no slower then 12 knots, cargoholds of 3500 or more and crew size of at least 200. I alway's use the fastest of the ships as the flag ship any companions must have ships thats speed is at least 12 knots, but the cargohold must be around 4000+ since i like to put any cargo i have onboard the Black Pearl onboard those ships so i can continue my attacks and board ships.

I never order any of my companions to board a ship, i like them to use knipple shots for fast ships and grapeshots for slow ships, i will only tell them to use round shots if i feel the enemy could try to board them and i keep a close eye on any ships i feel might be boarded so i can quickly get there and put my ship between them.

The Black Pearl makes a perfect pirate ship because of her speed and cargohold, Frigates are good for the power and speed, there cargoholds are exceptable. Corvette's are good aswell but Frigates are better. The ship called Nightmare is one of my favourites, Constitution is a very good ship with her 56 guns and decent sized cargohold and to add to that she's fast. La Licorne, good speed, good cargohold and 52 guns (same model as Arabella). The Flying Dutchman (none quest version) just like the Black Pearl she's perfect for this role. Another good ship is the quest Corvette, Arabella, thats obvious because she's fast agile has 52 guns and can have a a lot of crew. But perhaps the best ship in the game is the quest version of the Flying Dutchman.

But perhaps the best ship in the game is the quest version of the Flying Dutchman.

Yes the quest Dutchman is the best ship for me too,but why in CMV 3.1.5 she is with vanila characteristics?

Sorry if this is not the place for this question!

A lot of work has been done to the ships and the Flying Dutchman is one of those ships. You'll be shocked at the changes made and its been checked several times to make sure that there are no mistakes like in 3.1.5.

A lot of work has been done to the ships and the Flying Dutchman is one of those ships. You'll be shocked at the changes made and its been checked several times to make sure that there are no mistakes like in 3.1.5.

OK bud,thanks for quick answer! :onya

Back