• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Who would ever think that this is an old updated ship? :thumbs1
LOL, even I find if hard to believe that the bare bones of the original hull are still there, modified and hidden behind a new lick of paint.
I think Post Captain is right though: so much has changed that she might as well be considered a brand new ship. In fact, less than 1% of the polygons are originals! :shock

No way! I'm not that sad. :p
In the screenshots I posted, you can see the total poly and tri counts displayed in the top left corner. A nice feature for regulating how much detail to add.
When I select the remnants of the original hull, it tells me how many polys that selection has, so it's easy to see how many have been added.

seriously amazing! I think you have outdone my ships with this one, superb detail and a really great texturing job!

I think you have outdone my ships with this one
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Your ships are awesome as well! :cheers

Thank you anyway, mates. If I put enough time into it, hopefully I can get the ship ready for the next Build 14 update. :doff

Oh, I wouldn't say that. Your ships are awesome as well! :cheers
What's the point in comparing our work to our own? It's all amazing compared to the stock game ships and that's what we want and manage to outdo, right? :cheeky
Thank you anyway, mates. If I put enough time into it, hopefully I can get the ship ready for the next Build 14 update. :doff
How much time do you need? I won't get started on the next Update for until at least end October/begin November as I'll be going on a two-week holiday in Florida soon.

What's the point in comparing our work to our own? It's all amazing compared to the stock game ships and that's what we want and manage to outdo, right? :cheeky
Exactly! :ship

How much time do you need? I won't get started on the next Update for until at least end October/begin November as I'll be going on a two-week holiday in Florida soon.
I'm not sure, but that should be plenty of time. Originally I thought I wouldn't get the chance, with so many other fixes and things taking priority, but I've taken care of most of them now.

MK: Thanks mate!

Here's another quick update. I've added most of the deck details and finished off some more UV mapping.
There are still a few things missing, such as support beams below decks, but you can get a good idea of how it looks with these pics:

Frigate1_new20.jpg

Frigate1_new21.jpg

Frigate1_new22.jpg

In the second pic, you can just about see the empty cabin. I'm not sure a captain would appreciate that, so I'll need to add some furnishings at some point.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a cabin would contain on a vessel like this? I'm in uncharted waters here, since we don't have many accurate cabins in other models yet... :read

EDIT: Oh, and that cooking stove you can see in the third pic was 'borrowed' from the HMS Surprise model, so credit for that goes to Jack Harrison.

She's beautiful! And I definitely like your original idea to have this as the showcase ship in the first pre-alpha of Hearts of Oak; I reckon she could be made to work there very well.
Especially since you're working on her right now, it should be possible to get her up to standard straight away without having to import and modify any other ship models.

How difficult was it going to be to adapt the other frigates' texture to the new model? You were making her to have the other textures pop right in, if I recall?
That'll be a massive improvement to a fair few ships then! :woot

Vehicle Simulator, eh? That's what Virtual Sailor evolved into. Ah, the memories...! :rolleyes:

One thing that's missing is the base of the Bowsprit. Besides that, it looks incredible. You might not have gotten there yet... before you do, I'll post some detailed diagrams from a reference book I have.

the frigate in this link is meant to be napoleonic

But what about the the lateen mizzen? :shock
The inside still looks good, at least.

For the cabin, you could try searching for images of the captain's cabin in the replica Surprise. It's later in period, but is a similar size. There are also plenty of images of Victory's cabins which might give you a good decoration reference.

But what about the the lateen mizzen? :shock
The inside still looks good, at least.
hence "meant' to be napoleonic. there are certainly some innacuries such as the lateen. it is actually based off the model kit HMS Ajax which is a fictional modernized version of chapman's 18pdr frigate on plate XXXIII of Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, which dates to the 1760s. anyways I don't want to steer the thread off topic :p
also might to look for images of the cabin of the Shtandart, a replica of a russian frigate of 1703.
http://taalinternationaal.wordpress.com/

She's beautiful! And I definitely like your original idea to have this as the showcase ship in the first pre-alpha of Hearts of Oak; I reckon she could be made to work there very well.
Especially since you're working on her right now, it should be possible to get her up to standard straight away without having to import and modify any other ship models.
Well, once I have the ship done to a good standard for PotC/CoAS, I certainly plan on upgrading her for Hearts of Oak.
Whether or not we decide to use her for the demo depends on how long it takes for Hammie (and any others) to prepare the code work.
If that's ready before this ship is, it may be more convenient to use one of Captain Armstrong's ships as suggested elsewhere.

How difficult was it going to be to adapt the other frigates' texture to the new model? You were making her to have the other textures pop right in, if I recall?
That'll be a massive improvement to a fair few ships then! :woot
Actually, I'm afraid I'll need to rework all the other textures. I mentioned a while ago that I completely changed the UVs because the old texture was not laid out well enough.
I had to double the height of the texture to make room for various new details that needed mapping.
Below is how it currently looks. The top half resembles the classic texture, but has had several changes made.
Frigate1_texture1.jpg
Fear not though, because once I've got this texture finished, it will be quick and easy to change colours and decorations, thanks to the layers I'm using in GIMP.
I will try to make the textures as faithful as possible (except the French one, which will be changed to look more like L'Hermione), while sticking to the new high-res quality.
I'll also upload a PSD file so that people like Craiggo can more easily make further textures if they wish. ;)

the frigate in this link is meant to be napoleonic but the interior is super detailed and it might be a good reference for this. http://hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4367&start=50
Holy crap! That model makes our ships look empty! :shock
I certainly think that will be a useful reference for upgrading models for HoO in general.

One thing that's missing is the base of the Bowsprit. Besides that, it looks incredible. You might not have gotten there yet... before you do, I'll post some detailed diagrams from a reference book I have.
That would be most useful, thanks.

Back