• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

I wasn't planning to allow access to the poop deck, seeing as I can't see any ladders on the model I'm using for reference.
Opening up the cabin was to compensate for this, so that the player can still see out the back of the ship.

However, seeing as the plans say nothing about it, and the model may not be 100% accurate, I guess there's room to add a ladder if people want it.
I'd probably need to add railings to the sides, otherwise it would be a bit hard to stay up there in bad weather!

Another dilemma is where to put the wheel; again, nothing on the plans or the model, but I'm assuming there should be one given the time period.

There would not have been a wheel on a ship this size until some time between the 1730s and 1750s. Wheels were still a fairly new invention at the time and took a few decades to catch on.

It would have used a tiller on the poop, similar to my Lyon hoy. If you do opt for a wheel it would be on the main deck just fore of the cabin bulkhead, which operates a tiller on the poop via ropes and pulleys, as was common around 1735. If you need reference images I can look some up for you.

Thanks for clarifying that, mate. I knew it was the early 1700s when the wheel was first introduced, but didn't know the specifics.

What I'm planning do with the finished model is make her available in the third and fourth game periods: 1680 - 1739 and 1740 - 1769.
She'll be slightly more common in the latter period, in which a wheel would be more acceptable, but the former period is more suited to a tiller.
Perhaps it would be best to have two versions; one with a tiller and another with a wheel?

Also, would the tiller be attached directly to the rudder through the cabin? Any reference images you can find would be much appreciated. :doff

The rudderhead would protrude from the poop deck and the tiller would be inserted through it. The hole in the deck is covered by a circle of sailcloth, the same as where the rudder passes through the counter. Sometimes this whole arrangement is further covered by a bench, which I opted for on Lyon hoy for ease of modeling.

A tiller would still not be unheard of even at the end of the period if you want to omit the wheel and save yourself some work.

For the interior of the cabin the rudderhead was concealed within a square or octagonal cabinet.

A tiller may be the better option then. Thanks for the information! :bow

That sounds similar to what is on the light fluyt. Does the Revenge also have a system like that?

I wouldn't recommend making two versions just for having either a tiller or a wheel because of size issues. Unless you're going to make them both quite unique, that is.

That sounds similar to what is on the light fluyt. Does the Revenge also have a system like that?
I think the Revenge's tiller is pretty different, especially since it's an older ship.

I wouldn't recommend making two versions just for having either a tiller or a wheel because of size issues. Unless you're going to make them both quite unique, that is.
As stated above, I think I'll just go with a tiller now. I didn't really want to make two versions for that very reason.

Here are the two most likely candidates. Looking at the models now and at your ship again, I think it's more likely the wheel and tiller combo.

This sloop from 1715 has just a tiller.
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66367.html

This one from 1720 has the tiller / wheel combo. Given the length of your poop deck I think this is more likely. Ropes would run from the wheel, up the cabin bulkhead to the poop deck, out to the bulwarks via blocks, then back to the tiller.
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66377.html

If your local library has it, this book has detailed instructions and photos of how to set the tackle for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Plank-Frame-Ship-Models/dp/0851779913

To illustrate that tillers made it to the end of the period, this sloop from the 1790s has a tiller:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66518.html

Thanks for the photos! I think I should be able to set up the system from your description. :doff
I didn't realise the wheel came into use as early as 1720. At least that makes it more feasible for use in the earlier game period I mentioned.

Heads up! Progress on this ship will resume shortly, now that my exams are over. :dance

Good! Since Pieter's WIP-1 the Caribbean is infested with those things and it would be nice to see the new ones out there. :ship

Right, here's a progress update. :sail

I've modified the bow as per Captain Armstrong's suggestion, adding the gratings using KrisWood's tutorial. How does it look?
Frigate1_new14.jpg

I've also made a first draft of the wheel/tiller mechanism. I'd like to know if it needs modifying before I mirror the rope onto the other side.
The rudder is now covered with an octagonal cabinet inside the cabin, which you can just about see in the screenshot.
Frigate1_new15.jpg

I'm now using the free student version of Maya 2012 for the modelling process, which I can use for three years. I made sure to get that a few weeks ago while I was still a student. :wp
It has several new and useful features, but most importantly it performs much better than Maya 5.0, so I can use it more efficiently.
Unfortunately I still have to export the model back to Maya 5.0 to export to GM format, which is a bit of a pain, but the new version is worth it.

Does look very beautiful! Is that going to be the first ship with modeled steering ropes?

Thanks!:cheers A few ships have ropes going down from the helm and ending at the deck, but none have been linked to the rudder before, if I remember correctly.
We have seen other real steering mechanisms though, such as on the Revenge galleon.

Looks great!:)the bow area seems very accurate to me, nice work:onyathe tiller ropes look cool too. hmm the newest version sounds interesting:p what exactly did you have to go through to get it? did you have to take a course that uses it?

The grating looks good to me. The light fluyt also has a fully modeled tiller.

For the control rope you did not allow for the pulleys. They would raise the line and make it a tripping hazard. It would be better to run the line through the deck and then along the ceiling of the lower deck next to the hull and then bring it up when it gets far enough back to pull the tiller effectively.

Glad you like the improved bow. :doff

To get Maya 2012, I had to sign up to the Autodesk Education Community as a student, and select my college from a list of participating schools/colleges/universities worldwide.
I was surprised at the vast number of places listed, so you might be able to get away with it yourself. ;)

Anyway, once that's done you can choose from a very generous list of Autodesk software to download for a free three-year license, including Maya (and 3DS Max).
You can actually get whichever version of Maya from 2010 to 2013 that you want. I would have got 2013, but Autodesk dropped support for Vista with that version. :rolleyes:

The only pain is that the only way I've found to successfully get a model from Maya 2012 into 5.0 is to export each component as a separate OBJ file and reassemble them in 5.0.
This can retain normals etc but all materials have to be redone.

Hylie: For the rope, I was going by KrisWood's instructions in post #50, and assumed that the rope would run along the deck. I'm not planning to allow access to the poop deck, so it won't pose a tripping hazard, if that's what you were referring to.

Back