• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fort on water

marrbodude

Sailor Apprentice
Water-fort with 68 lbs. What do you think will you survive the encounter. :woot

waterfort.jpg

Something for the poor man no start up cost xD:

raftz.jpg

The second picture is actually in close relation to a floating battery/gunboat popular for many European powers they were a raft sometimes with one - two sails or oar powered that carried 1 - 3 cannons of high calibre and on occasion some swivel guns. They could sail into shallow waters and bombard fortifications or ships, although they were very vulnerable and one broadside from a frigate would destroy them, if you have enough, five or six, the frigate would be heavily damaged before it could destroy them all. Napoleon planned to use large quantities of gunboats in his invasion of Great Britain, they were cheap, simple and quick to produce. They were also handy for transporting troops and supplies. Here are two illistrations from the Crimean War during the bombardment of Taganrog 1855:

2eevi91.jpg

2eph8v9.jpg

Courtesy of Wikimedia

omg! I love it!
I'm not sure how period accurate it is, but it would be neat if you could slowly upgrade the 'raft/fort' slowly over time....higher walls, more cannons, etc etc etc

I love it

W00t!!

1855 is a long way from 1665. But, still cool none the less. We have a few ships that weren't even built in the 17th century in CoAS.

Here is another illistration of a Floating Battery constructed in 1775 by the Americans, this one is enclosed and propelled by oars.

2q2ecfr.gif

Courtesy of Ancestry.com

This would open up some interesting possibility's and story lines on game, cool stuff mate! Although personally, I think 68 pounders are a bit far fetched. Are you planning on releasing these yellow-dog?

Thanks for the info, and cool illistrations JamesCartwright! :dance

For the next patch 68Ibs cannons have been removed because they wasn't been used for anything. The floating fort is a sweat idea and would be a very nice feature, so i look forward to seeing these floating forts ingame. Keep up the god work yellow dog. :onya

Might I add alot of gunboats were usually equiped with 24 - 32 pounders though some carried as low as 9 - 12 pounders, I imagine some of the larger gunboats could of carried higher calibres such as 42 pounders. They were crewed roughly 25 - 30 men and were 50 - 70 ft long.

1855 is a long way from 1665. But, still cool none the less. We have a few ships that weren't even built in the 17th century in CoAS.

We have at least one ship that was constructed well into the 19th century. I feel like I brought it up in another thread once, but I might have forgotten.Attention span of a goldf---

Ooooh! Shin---

Hey! A squirrel!

xD:
if that be the case then when should see if someone would model 'The Bluenose'

Back