• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Florens Clauss dialogue won't change

Are any quest officers still to be added?
How about Nigel Blythe and Txiki Pijuan?

In any case, looks like you covered a whole bunch more since last I knew! :cheers

I didn't notice it while creating that list because I was only checking the sidequest file "quests_side.c".
And I checked PROGRAM\Characters\init\Officers.c just now.

It'd be nice to be able to tell her to stay back when I board, though.
Even if @Grey Roger doesn't feel like adding the dialog option, you can still tell her through console:
Code:
ch = CharacterFromID("Lucia de la Vega");
ch.AbordageMode = makeint(0);

Any officer who has a musket and bayonet will probably use them in preference to a sword. I loot all the guards for their muskets and ammo during the initial prison break and hand them to my officers, but as soon as I have decent swords and pistols, the officers get those and I take away the muskets.

Have you also given Lucia all the combat abilities - "Basic Defence", "Advanced Defence" etc. up to "Professional Fencer"? Those also make a difference. The same goes for any other officers in your party.

She's got everything that can help her in a fight except a better sword, which makes only so much difference anyway. We!re talking guys with over 700 hp who give 4k+ XP when defeated, and bosses with almost double those numbers. She's good, but not that good.

Even if @Grey Roger doesn't feel like adding the dialog option, you can still tell her through console:
Code:
ch = CharacterFromID("Lucia de la Vega");
ch.AbordageMode = makeint(0);

I keep forgetting about the console. You guys gave me that code earlier in another thread, but I used it exactly once and promptly forgot all about it. Why I have so much vitriol against the console is beyond me.

How about Nigel Blythe and Txiki Pijuan?
Quest characters should not switch to general officer dialog until the quest ends otherwise the quest will probably break. The "Nigel Blythe" quest ends when you kill him by the Bonaire shipwreck, after which it does not matter which dialog he uses. xD

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: it should be safe to add this at case "Pijuanofficer", which is where he joins you and the "Search for Peter's ship" quest closes:
Code:
           Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Txiki Pijuan")].dialog.filename = "Enc_Officer_dialog.c";
           Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Txiki Pijuan")].dialog.CurrentNode = "hired";
Any objections? Peter Blood himself already has these lines in case "Pijuanofficer" to turn him into a standard officer.

She's got everything that can help her in a fight except a better sword, which makes only so much difference anyway. We!re talking guys with over 700 hp who give 4k+ XP when defeated, and bosses with almost double those numbers. She's good, but not that good.
You think maybe you should bombard your enemies with grapeshot a bit more before boarding...?

I keep forgetting about the console. You guys gave me that code earlier in another thread, but I used it exactly once and promptly forgot all about it. Why I have so much vitriol against the console is beyond me.
You may yet learn.
Console can be quite the good friend. ;)

(Sometimes a bit TOO good! Whenever I play, I tend to cheat everything... Because it's just too easy. :facepalm )

Quest characters should not switch to general officer dialog until the quest ends otherwise the quest will probably break. The "Nigel Blythe" quest ends when you kill him by the Bonaire shipwreck, after which it does not matter which dialog he uses. xD
You can't keep Nigel around forever?
Heh... Didn't know.
Never tried.

Peter Blood himself already has these lines in case "Pijuanofficer" to turn him into a standard officer.
Only makes sense then; doesn't it?

You think maybe you should bombard your enemies with grapeshot a bit more before boarding...?

I do that...and then I run out of grapes. It has to do with trying to do everything at once, probably. Even when I'm fighting the entire French navy, I still tend to have stuff like 4000cwt of mahogany in the hold.

In the end, it's just a matter of convenience. I can just keep swapping her in and out, or just use the console command you helpfully provided. Or just lower the difficulty a notch. Lots of workarounds, when it comes down to that.

You may yet learn.
Console can be quite the good friend. ;)

(Sometimes a bit TOO good! Whenever I play, I tend to cheat everything... Because it's just too easy. :facepalm )

It is, isn't it? I'm planning to savor the taste with this one, though. Cheating would amount to consuming it all at once. Wearing different shoes on this one; you guys literally create content for this game, for God's sake! Will do a lot of cheating to speed things up during replays, though. Grinding is fun for only so long.

I do that...and then I run out of grapes. It has to do with trying to do everything at once, probably. Even when I'm fighting the entire French navy, I still tend to have stuff like 4000cwt of mahogany in the hold.
Bring more grapeshot. Or, if you've just captured a French warship and are now low on grapeshot, transfer that mahogany onto the new prize and take all its grapeshot for yourself.

Having said that, you won't throw much grapeshot at the Dauphin Royal in the climactic battle near the end of the story. You do not want to trade broadsides with that monster because while you're sending grape at her, 52 cannonballs are coming the other way.

The Moorish sabre is good enough for slicing the enemy but not so good for blocking the enemy from doing it to you - its piercing and blocking are little better than a basic swept-hilt rapier. Once you start finding them either in stores or on dead enemies, give Lucia a Hibernian, or for preference a Knights Templar sword or a Polish szabla.

Or download this and copy it into place.
lucia_boarding1.jpg lucia_dont_board.jpg
If you change your mind, just talk about boarding again...
lucia_do_board.jpg

Regardless of what you've told her, Lucia will join you when you're boarding Piers Downing's convoy. This is probably why she joined you and definitely what she's been looking forward to, and she will not be left out of the action. (But she does remember what you told her and will revert to missing or joining boardings accordingly, after the convoy battle.)

Attachments

• dialog_fix.zip
    111.4 KB · Views: 142
Doing a little bit of necromancy here; I hope you guys don't mind. It's about Txiki having the generic officer dialogue now.

Txiki appears to be assigned the generic dialogue too soon. Normally you'd talk to him one last time after you leave Arabella and return ashore, but now he just asks about your orders. Which results in your controls remaining disabled and him standing around like an idiot. Breaking my character's trance by pressing F12 didn't seem to mess anything up...so far. I'll come back here if anything goes wrong.

Oops! :oops: True enough - case "Pijuanofficer" does indeed trigger a dialog with Txiki Pijuan, which is fouled up by setting him to standard officer dialog at that point.

So then I was going to add some new code to set him to standard dialog, then edit "Txiki Pijuan_dialog.c" to trigger it when you talk to him after returning from the Arabella. And that's when I found this:
Code:
       case "exit_hired":
           DialogExit();
           LAi_SetPlayerType (Pchar);
           NPChar.dialog.filename = "Enc_Officer_dialog.c";
           NPChar.dialog.CurrentNode = "hired";
           // SOME CODE NEEDS TO BE ADDED HERE TO GIVE THE SANTIAGO TO BARTOLOMEU INSTEAD!!!
       break;
There was never any need to add code to switch Txiki Pijuan to standard dialog because it's already there! So I simply removed the lines in "quests_side.c" to switch his dialog. I'm a bit surprised that this works because there used to be a bug whereby, if you hired a random street walker as an officer, it often crashed the game because the random street walker dialog file also switched the character's dialog the same way. But I played through the whole "Peter Blood" pair of quests. When I returned from the Arabella, Txiki Pijuan talked to me, the game did not crash (nor can I recall it ever crashing at this point when I played the "Peter Blood" quests in the past), and then I talked to him again and he was indeed using standard officer dialog.

So here's "quests_side.c" with the offending lines removed. If you have a savegame from before you board the Arabella, you can play that scene again after copying the file into place, then Txiki Pijuan should behave as he always did.

Attachments

• quests_side.c
    737.3 KB · Views: 125
Back