• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Florens Clauss dialogue won't change

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
Regardless of whether you have completed "Nigel Blythe" quest, Floren Clauss' dialogue with you stays the same forever. In the picture attached, you can see even though Clauss is now part of my crew, we still talk about where to find Blythe even though Blythe has been killed months ago. The problem now is that you cannot fire Clauss once he is part of your crew because the conversation option stays the same.

Attachments

• bug2.png
    bug2.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 196
  • compile.log
    5.3 KB · Views: 175
  • error.log
    356 bytes · Views: 178
  • system.log
    838 bytes · Views: 172
  • Clauss.rar
    884 KB · Views: 152
Download this "PROGRAM\console.c", then press F12.

The code to set him to use standard officer dialog will be in the next update and should happen when you get the treasure and the "Nigel Blythe" quest ends. (At least let him stay long enough to see Nigel Blythe get what's coming to him!)

Attachments

• console.c
    35.5 KB · Views: 162
Writing from memory here, but I expect something like this through console should help:
Code:
ref ch = CharacterFromID("Florens Clauss");
ch.Dialog.FileName = "Enc_officer_dialog.c";

Perhaps @Grey Roger can check the correct syntax; and maybe add it somewhere to the sidequest code so it always opens up the regular dialog options.

There are a lot of quest officers who are never set to the generic officer dialog either, so chances are this sort of thing can happen more often.

Perhaps @Grey Roger can check the correct syntax; and maybe add it somewhere to the sidequest code so it always opens up the regular dialog options.
The code to set him to use standard officer dialog will be in the next update and should happen when you get the treasure and the "Nigel Blythe" quest ends. (At least let him stay long enough to see Nigel Blythe get what's coming to him!)
:p

What I put into that "console.c", and what will go into the sidequest, is:
Code:
   SetCharacterRemovable(CharacterFromID("Florens Clauss"), true);
   Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Florens Clauss")].dialog.Filename = "Enc_Officer_dialog.c";
   Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Florens Clauss")].dialog.CurrentNode = "hired";
I'm not sure if he needs to be set removable, probably not, but take no chances. (I copied the code from a bit which I've just added to "Ardent" for similar reasons. If you play evil Ardent, you can get stuck with an officer named Jaime Lezcano, who is definitely unremovable for a while.)

The 'dialog.CurrentNode' line is needed otherwise the officer's dialog will start at the default "First time", and will then fail because "Enc_Officer_dialog.c" doesn't have "First time".

Most if not all other sidequest officers already have this code at the time when they're hired. You added a few, so did I, and some already had it.

What I put into that "console.c", and what will go into the sidequest, is:
Better! Much better. :onya

Most if not all other sidequest officers already have this code at the time when they're hired. You added a few, so did I, and some already had it.
Is it really most of them by now? You must've added a fair few then!
I still remember when it was hardly any of them...

Rys Bloom: @konradk
Artois Voysey: @konradk
Peter Blood: already done
Jaoquin de Masse: you
Lucas Da Saldanha: you
Edgar Attwood: you
Baldewyn Coffier: me
Amerigo Vieira: me
Florens Clauss: me

Are any quest officers still to be added?

Claire Larrouse. Bummer, especially because I'd really like to keep her around without having to mad-dash around trying to keep her alive everytime I board.

Have you tried unassigning her in the "Passengers" interface? As far as I can tell from looking at the code, Claire Larrouse becomes removable when you hire her, which means you should be able to put a different officer onto her ship and assign or unassign her as a party officer.

What happens when you talk to Claire after you've hired her?

She's removable. No problem with that. I take her to the shore, I give her a ship... She just lacks generic dialogue, so you can't give her orders. She's always like, "So?", and all you can say is, "Never mind."

Good, that is what I expected after looking through the code. Download the "console.c" from post #2 and change "Florens Clauss" to "Claire Larrouse", then press F12, and she should be an ordinary officer. Meanwhile I've updated the quest to do this automatically, and it will appear in the next update archive.

Props to you, @Grey Roger. Will see if I come across anyone else with that problem.

Been a long while since the last time I recruited Sabine Matton. Hmm...

Oh, and your very own Lucia could also use a touch, perhaps? Unless you've updated that part already. Don't know how it is if you only recruit her, but if you're married, all you can say to her is a simple g'day.

You are not going to be allowed to fire Lucia! :no Apart from not being allowed to fire your own wife, she has significant roles to play later in the story. (Ditto for Edmundo if you're playing as Helen.)

However, if you complete the "Mayan Temple" quest and then allow Two Dogs Fighting to rejoin you, I'll allow him to switch to standard officer dialog in the next update.

Sabine should already switch to standard officer dialog after you recruit her. I didn't notice it while creating that list because I was only checking the sidequest file "quests_side.c". Sabine is set to be an officer, and switches dialog, in Arnaud Matton's dialog file.

Wait, no! Nobody's firing her! Wouldn't even dream of it. It'd be nice to be able to tell her to stay back when I board, though. She's great during the segments in which she's invulnerable, but she's not always, y'know, invulnerable.

If you don't want Lucia during a boarding, don't take her - go to the "Passengers" interface, deselect her, and put a different officer into your party. If you can't take her out of your party then she's probably invulnerable, the reason being you're not going to be penalised for risking her in combat when she gives you no choice. (Which is while you're taking Piers Downing's convoy - she really hates him and wants to be personally involved in taking his ships!)

If you don't want Lucia during a boarding, don't take her - go to the "Passengers" interface, deselect her, and put a different officer into your party.

Which is what I'm currently doing. I keep her in the party all the time (she happens to be my best officer), but when it's time to take over an enemy ship, I go to the passenger screen and take her out of the party before I get in position.

Except sometimes I forget to do that in the heat of battle. Then she comes along and, well, dies. Especially sad when it happens while you're on the deck of the seventh frigate you've been fighting. Oh, well. That one's on me, I suppose. Have to be sharp all the time if I'm to be a successful pirate.

I follow a slightly different strategy. Lucia goes into my shore party as soon as she joins up, either because I recruited her early or because she signed up for "Convoy Strike". Then she stays there. She gets the same armour, weapons and medical supplies as other party officers, and she joins me in all battles on land or sea. So she soon learns the fine art of sticking your sword into an enemy while preventing him from doing it to you. By the end of the storyline, she's as fine a swordswoman as you could hope to meet, she's right there with me when I board the Dauphin Royal, and she's still there when I finally capture the ship. Sometimes I put her in command of it.

If you're trying to board a seventh frigate then you've engaged either a large patrol or a full fleet. I tend to avoid those unless all my party officers (including Lucia) have gold armour, good swords (at least swept-hilt rapiers) and good melee skill. Merchant ships are easier, provide good practice, and are also more profitable.

I follow a slightly different strategy. Lucia goes into my shore party as soon as she joins up, either because I recruited her early or because she signed up for "Convoy Strike". Then she stays there. She gets the same armour, weapons and medical supplies as other party officers, and she joins me in all battles on land or sea. So she soon learns the fine art of sticking your sword into an enemy while preventing him from doing it to you. By the end of the storyline, she's as fine a swordswoman as you could hope to meet, she's right there with me when I board the Dauphin Royal, and she's still there when I finally capture the ship. Sometimes I put her in command of it.

If you're trying to board a seventh frigate then you've engaged either a large patrol or a full fleet. I tend to avoid those unless all my party officers (including Lucia) have gold armour, good swords (at least swept-hilt rapiers) and good melee skill. Merchant ships are easier, provide good practice, and are also more profitable.

Yeah, a full fleet, which is the fun part. Lots of third rates, first rates, sometimes man-o-wars... Cannot save in between boardings, though, so I have to be extra careful, and keeping myself alive is already a crazy challenge; on the other hand, I wanna keep Lucia in the party at all times, so I guess I'll still have to work around this. I can handle the swordfights, but she sometimes has trouble staying alive even with 10 melee, gilded cuirass, a musket and the moor sword - I'm not taking that sword away from her, sorry! It's Charles' wedding gift for her.

Any officer who has a musket and bayonet will probably use them in preference to a sword. I loot all the guards for their muskets and ammo during the initial prison break and hand them to my officers, but as soon as I have decent swords and pistols, the officers get those and I take away the muskets.

Have you also given Lucia all the combat abilities - "Basic Defence", "Advanced Defence" etc. up to "Professional Fencer"? Those also make a difference. The same goes for any other officers in your party.

Back