• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Downloading the mods

:ahoy Probably not. I get a lot of lag when there are a lot of NPCs around too. I recently played build 13 for a couple of days and it ran much faster than build 14.

I suppose that just means i'll have to endure it until i'm fed up with it. Really cuts into the enjoyment of the game though, since there's always this series of minor annoyances that pile up over time.

Can you name another game with this many NPCs in it at one time? I can't.
Besides, who spends all their time wandering around on land?

I know a few isometric ones. No 3D ones that i own though, besides minecraft. I really do hope the lag is only restricted to land though, and that it doesn't pose too much trouble in combat. I kind of suspect that the mods exceed the game engine's capacity on occasion rather than my PC's. It's probably related to my recent change in GPU though, since i can't remember it lagging so much on my previous card. Frankly though, if a vast and realistic amount of NPC's causes problems, i'd rather do without them. But it can't be helped.

The only place I get bad fps is at Philipsburg when the Frogs attack. There is a lot going on then. Boarding battles are fine, and ship battles are fine unless the number of ships goes over a dozen or so. More than 20 ships is very rare.

I see. That sounds pretty normal though. I just lag no matter what town i'm in. But like you said, i'd say the sea is the most prominent feature in this game. I should test it out today.

Well, it lags at sea too, but as far as the towns are concerned it only lags in ports. I'm suspecting that the sea is causing my lag. I'm also seeing a rather odd bug where if i tabbed onto my ship's deck view, and then try to tab back to 3rd person, it first goes to some kind of camera at sealevel with inverted camera controls. If i try to change views again it goes to 3rd person view as normal. Is there a patch i missed?

Ah! You found a mistake Pieter made. Go to POTC--->program--->internalsettings.h and scroll down to the bottom and set "free camera" to 0. Everything down there should be zero.

It lags at sea? Under what conditions?

Ah, thanks, i'll fix that immediately. You know, i'm rather surprised that noone's mentioned it before. Perhaps people don't bother to report the more minor annoyances.

Well, i narrowed it down to a simple matter of ship presence. That would also explain my port-only lag on land. I guess it's down to the new high-detail ship models then. I'd say i told you so, but i find it too amusing to bother. :p And hell, they look amazing. Any location without the presence of high detail ships runs better than ever before though, which is something i'm rather pleased about. Maybe i'll get used to the lag.

Can you pick out any ship in particular that causes lag? For me it's the really big ones that slow it down. The normal ships run just fine. If I remember correctly you prefer the corvette. That is the same old ship except for new masts, yards, sails, rigging, deck, cannons....
Umm never mind.

I'm still sailing around with the dinky little lugger right now, though getting my favorite old tub back is definitely high up on the list. Lag only occurs when there's other ships nearby, but i haven't been able to pinpoint the lag to any ship in particular just yet. That french invasion fleet at barbados was VERY laggy though, but that's no surprise. I really like the new one among them.

Uh oh..... I get a solid 60fps in the Lugger at all times. POTC is locked to a maximum of 60fps. My current fleet is a class 1 Heavy East Indiaman, a class 5 NL_Pinnace, and a class 6 Neptunus light frigate. I get 55-60 fps with them. Battles with 10-12 ships drop me down to 40fps.
My computer was built in 2007 and has been upgraded yearly since.
The Barbados fleet consists of the Bellette, the Fleuron, and a Heavy East Indiaman. The Fleuron is new and hirez, while the other two are upgraded old ships. Wait until you run into the Soliel Royal.

I've installed Build 14 on computers with the following GPUs: 6600GT, 8800GTS, GTX275, ATI HD6950. There has been an increase in performance and image quality with each step up except for the last one. That one only got a little bit better fps in big battles.
The 6600GT had really bad performance. This is DX8 and it uses the CPU more than modern games do too.

ATI HD 6700 series here. It doesn't tell me the specific model for some reason. But i'm pretty much convinced that the lag's not going to dissapear anyway, so i'll just move on to othwer problems i'm seeing.

I think the extra features you get when you've got crew ashore are quite interesting, but the english is so bad i often can't make out what the dialogue's intention even was. I'll try to see if i can find the related dialogue file for it. Also, some of the newest sword discriptions are quite odd. They seem to consistently favor the use of 'and' over commas, creating some rather ugly sentences. I know i can modify that though, so i'll look into it.

What drivers are you using? The latest drivers can cause problems. I'm staying with the 12.3 drivers for the foreseeable future.

Yes, the dialogs were written by people who don't speak English as their native language.

Probably the latest. I made sure i did.

EDIT: actually, it's 12.1. So much for this program that helped me check for the latest drivers.

I just had a thought. I have my video card settings set very high because when I dropped them to minimal settings the card drops back into 2d mode, which kills frame rates. Have you tried maxing your settings just to see what happens?

I'll give it a go. Updating the drivers didn't seem to have any effect except for possible a small improvement, but it was worth a try.

I may have spoken too soon. It seems to have improved a bit. I do still lag on occasion, but it's back to how it used to be before i got this GPU, at least.

Back