• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Downloading the mods

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
So i've been wanting to reïnstall this thing for a while, but it keeps timing out since it won't go above 120 kb/s for whatever illogical reason. Are there really no torrents for it?

Nope. What link are you downloading from? Have you tried the ModDB one already?

No, it's a different server completely not related to PiratesAhoy.

The ModDB server is very fast! At least with my computer.
For excample, I can download the GoF 1.2! mod from the ftp with an average of 200-250 kb/s, but when I downloaded the Beta 2.1 from the ModDB server the download speed was more than 550 kb/s!

It depends on where you are located. For me ModDB is the slow one. I can get beta 2.1 from here in about 35 minutes.

Moddb links to gamefront, and that site doesn't seem to work properly. Just keeps crashing and automatically refreshing in a loop. Any other options?

I just tested and Download opens a screen and then a bit later the Save To screen for the download shows up.

Well yeah, i know it's related to my own PC. i guess i could try downloading a different browser though.

I guess internet explorer just hated it. Using firefox now, which was long overdue anyway. I am slightly concerned about a little testing i did with the stock game though. Config.exe is not working. It says the engine.ini file or options folder is missing. The game itself runs fine. It may have something to do with the fact that Avast didn't like the unspecified nature of PotC's installation file and bugged it up. I guess it just wasn't registered as a safe file in Avast's database.

Ahh, you got caught by the DEP exceptions. There are so many ways to get POTC screwed up it is really difficult to remember them all.

I just want to make sure i've got safe mode turned off for sounds, but i couldn't really find any particular option in the file that stood out. Did find the fullscreen option though, but i'm not sure which resolutions the game engine supports, so i didn't dare to manually configure the exact resolution listed in the file. Anyway, gamefront is timing out as well, but it's getting a little further with every time out, so i expect it to work at some point in the future.

Just try your desktop resolution and see what gives. If it doesn't work, you can always try another. 1600x900 works perfectly fine.

Safe Sound could be safe_render = 1 .

I'll try it and see what happens. It's mainly the proper aspect ratio that i need, but it should autocorrect. 1600x900 as a maximum is just fine. Also, the mod seems to have downloaded this time. I'll see when i can get back to it. Maybe even today.

Remember to set fullscreen = 0 and the resolution to your desktop one to allow free Alt+Tabbing.

well, the game runs, but any location with a large amount of NPCs is very laggy. Not unplayable, just choppy. I don't know why either. I did try installing the shader mod, but uninstalled it again afterwards, assuming it was causing my lag. No such luck though. I could try turning down the resolution a bit further, though i already tried that as well.

Best not install any of the additional options; neither helps with performance.

Is the unmodded game also laggy or just the modded version?

I wouldn't know, since i only tested the inside of a ship's cabin with the stock game, but that still doesn't lag with mods installed. It's really just the locations with a large amount of NPC's, since i had the issue on a ship deck with many people on it as well as towns.

EDIT: Even with 800x600, the lag persists. I wonder if this is related to the inexplainable indoor lag i had in my previous installment of the mod.

Back