• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Double Running Speed (now realistic 6.6 m/s)

Could even be faster, 8.0 is just the fastest I can confirm I tried in game and looked good.

Also, if any of the animations do look wrong to anyone, I do think there is a setting where we can speed up the leg movement, whoch would correct any gliding issues. I haven't done it because they look fine to me, but others might be more sensitive and that could be done.

The one I changed controls distance covered, but I think I read that somewhere there is another that controls animation speed.

Edit: another thought, 6.6 is without sword drawn, it is 6.0 with weapon drawn. So there is room there for a speedup as well.

One final thought: seperating out controllable and animation issues, if people can run with default speed at 3x time compression, then 9.9 m/s is controllable with a magic item. The question would just be animation speed then. If people are more sensitive there than I and don't think the gliding comes close to being the aerial phase of running and looks fine, then we can look at speeding up the animation for the running movement. Either way, it should be workable at higher speeds.

So then.... @Jack Rackham do you have any issue with 6.6 for regular and 8.0 for mocassin running?
I have to test how it looks first and how much faster it feels. I checked now and see that 6.6 was what I have for moccasins
and as I remember it that looked fast! Are we all really agreed to increase the normal running speed so much?

My proposal was to make it a user setting, letting them select between current 1x (marathon), 1.5x (mile), or 2.0x (sprint) speed.

The speed does feel fast when you first turn it up, but only because used to the old speeds--after playing for 30 minutes or so at 6.6 it felt perfect for me, and the old one became even more unbearable. I think it is a matter of perceiving change from what you are used to. If people play at time compression before, that should be even 50% faster, 9.9 m/s if I understand correctly that compression starts at 3x, so 6.6 m/s should be comfortable in comparison.

But I imagine there will be a range of preferences, people find different speeds comfortable, so this seems especially suited to be a user defined number rather than on/off. Maybe the moccasins should be balanced around the 1.5x setting, rather than the 2.0x.

Last edited:
More generally, I'm just advocating player choice if they want to set it up to 6.6 m/s, because for many players, especially those used to other games, the faster speed will be central to fully enjoying the game. Default, and what items should be balanced around, is a seperate issue, and could be 1.5x or the current 1.0x. We would just need to have the speed setting as a prominent option rather than buried in internal settings, since the faster speeds are targeted at new players who are unlikely to go digging in internal settings.

And the setting should perhaps be disabled for specific storylines. For all I know faster running speeds might break something in one of the storyline quests, beyond simply messing with an item. But for freeplay, and probably also the standard storyline, it would likely work fine and benefit alot of players.

@Jack Rackham Agreed, I really only put this forward as a "let's give new players a setting they could use" idea.

Here would be one concrete proposal: default remains 1x, but we add an option in the in-game settings to change it, like how salary multiples work, to 1.5x or 2.0x. Either that option has no effect in certain storylines, or the player is warned in the option description that it might mess up certain storyline's balance.

Alternatively, same with 1.5x as the default. That would work even if the setting was buried in internal settings, because it would mostly solve things for newer players.

Either would work fine and not disrupt the mocassins I think.

2.0x was what I will be having my game at, and is consistent with many comparable games, but of course thst doesn't mean that should be the new default for everyone. Just that new players and others who want it should be able to access faster speeds, somehow, in a way they generally would understand and find accessible (ie not both completely buried in internal settings and 1.0 as the default at the same time)

Last edited:
My guess is most people who vote in polls are forum regulars and experienced players, and are used to and fine with the current default running speeds, as well as comfortable using time compression.

The target audience for this optional faster speed would be newer players who are more used to other games and would find POTC speeds too slow and time compression odd, an audience not likely to be well-represented in a forum poll's results.

A poll might make sense for what to set a new default at, if we even wanted to consider changing the default, but probably shouldn't determine whether an optional faster speed is included for those (even perhaps minority) who would want it. The optional nature takes care of majority preferences if the default isn't changed.

Anyway, the project I've been expecting to start for the past few weeks at work (and kept getting delayed) just got announced to start tomorrow (just now), so I'm looking at 80+ hours of work time each week for the next several weeks. Sadly that probably means a temporary goodbye to everyone here until sometime next month at the earliest, as I'll barely have time to check in with my wife much less the internet. So I leave it to you guys to decide whether you want to include such an option, or how to include it if you do. Bye everyone! :)

Last edited:
A poll is always possible.
But since at least one person wants it, at the very least it should OK for Tingyun to make this mod.

A toggle might be a bit annoying to create, so we can make it a selectable option in the Installer EXE instead.
People are guaranteed to have its existence shown on their screen them.
And nobody would be forced to use it either. Everybody wins.

For starters, I'd propose two versions: current default and high speed.
So that makes for only one alternate compared to the current situation.

The idea of having the current speed default with the option to switch to higher speed sounds good to me too. Whether the choice is in "InternalSettings.h", in the "Options" menu or in the installer menu, is probably dependent on which is easiest to code. But it will need to be somewhere readily visible as it's for the benefit of new players coming to PoTC after playing other games, so "InternalSettings.h" is probably not the best place to set it.

Well then I won't upload my humble voice upon this matter no more!
But I will say, I relay wanted to see such a poll, to see what other people
think about this matter.
:shrug

But I will say, I relay wanted to see such a poll, to see what other people
think about this matter.
I'll be interested too, actually.

But since clearly there IS demand for a higher running speed by at least one person, there is no valid reason why that option should not exist for those people who do want it.
So if we don't have a poll, then we'll keep the default as-is for absolute certain and the higher speed will purely be optional for those people who want that instead.
While if we DO have a poll, it is possible that a majority votes for changing it, in which we probably SHOULD change the default.

We've been caught out that way before, because not many people tend to vote in the polls. The one about only being allowed to change flags while on the ship, for example, had very few voters, which is why the mod is still in effect despite causing problems - of those few people who voted, the majority wanted it that way. (I think it might even have been 2:1 - that's not a ratio, it's the actual number of voters!)

We've been caught out that way before, because not many people tend to vote in the polls.
Yep, that doesn't help one bit at all.

The one about only being allowed to change flags while on the ship, for example, had very few voters, which is why the mod is still in effect despite causing problems - of those few people who voted, the majority wanted it that way.
And ever since it was included (for TESTING purposes!), nobody has officially requested that change to be reversed.
The few times it is mentioned in passing, I have indicated a complete willingness to change it back.
But if nobody makes an official request, then I'm not going to waste my time changing it. :no

I think it might even have been 2:1 - that's not a ratio, it's the actual number of voters!
Actually, it was 7 vs 2 in favour of changing it:
Included in Build - Modify "False Flag" Behaviour While Ashore | PiratesAhoy!

Can't talk long, but from above keeping default as-is and then having these files as an option in installer as Pieter suggests sounds good, and probably doesn't reauire further coding which I may not be around to do. ;)

Well you have some good points @Grey Roger and @Pieter Boelen .
If we keep default as it is, and a toggle for the new" way of walking"
I will have no further objections against the project.
:ahoy

Back