• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Double Running Speed (now realistic 6.6 m/s)

If we keep default as it is, and a toggle for the new" way of walking"
I will have no further objections against the project.
That was indeed my intention and @Tingyun agrees as well per this post of his:
A poll might make sense for what to set a new default at, if we even wanted to consider changing the default
So no worries as far as I can see. :doff

A toggle might be a bit annoying to create, so we can make it a selectable option in the Installer EXE instead.
People are guaranteed to have its existence shown on their screen them.
And nobody would be forced to use it either. Everybody wins.
I wouldn't recommend using the installer for this option. That would make it very inconvenient for the player to change their preference after they've installed the game. A feature like this should be easily toggle-able after the player has tested one or both options and decided which they like best, in my view.

@Armada: I might be wrong, but I'm afraid making it a toggle in the game requires swapping out the animation files for all characters.
That would likely not be so easy and require changes in a great many files.

On the other hand, if it is in the Installer EXE, it is just swapping out the animation files themselves while leaving the rest of the code intact.
If need be, there can be a separate installer and uninstaller just like for the Intel Fix.

Ultimately, I do agree ingame would probably be better.
I only suggested what I did because I figure it would be easier to accomplish.
Added bonus is that players are guaranteed to get the option shown on their screen (even if they do quickly skip past it without paying attention :facepalm ).

@Armada: I might be wrong, but I'm afraid making it a toggle in the game requires swapping out the animation files for all characters.
That would likely not be so easy and require changes in a great many files.
So is it not possible to define a variable in the ANI files and just change that number depending on the desired running speed? Or can those files not be read and written to at runtime?

So is it not possible to define a variable in the ANI files and just change that number depending on the desired running speed?
I've never seen any variables used outside the PROGRAM folder and strongly suspect that is indeed not possible.
Real shame as that would have been an amazingly easy approach. :(

Well, that's inconvenient. :facepalm If the installer is your only option, I guess it will have to do.

hmm....it could be possible if we can find where the ani files are loaded (which should be somewhere because its set as a character attribute).
you could save the other ani files like
normalname_faster.ani
Then at the place where the ani files are loaded you can have a check. If the "faster_animations" is set to true it will check the folder to see if the filed with _faster behind it exists. if it does it loads this file, if not it will load the normal file.

The ani file to load is set as an individual attribute per character. Allowing control over it would require changing that for all characters.
If it can only be set on Start New Game, then maybe perhaps it could be handled through initModels.c .
If it is to be changed in mid-game, then that would add some more complexity.

I was talking about this line in characters.c:
Code:
    if(!SendMessage(character, "lss", MSG_CHARACTER_SETMODEL, character.model, character.model.animation))
    {
        trace("CreateCharacter -> character " + character.id + " can invalide model("+ character.model +") or animation(" + character.model.animation + ")");
        DeleteCharacter(character);
        return false;
    }

There you could have have a test first for the character.model.animation+"_fast" or something like that. if it doesn't work you do the normal one after it. or something like that. It would allow you to do it in code and have a setting for it.

I'm sure we could make an ingame toggle if we'd really want it. But:
1. It is far more work to implement
2. It is far more risky to implement

So let's not do that now.

I'm sure we could make an ingame toggle if we'd really want it. But:
1. It is far more work to implement
2. It is far more risky to implement

So let's not do that now.
I agree on that. Just wanted to show it's possible :) if enough people like it we could implement it. But for now I agree having an extra option in the installer would be better. as far as I know that shouldn't be that hard for you right?

I only read quickly through this, but since I probably have one of the biggest experience in playing this game, here are my thoughts:

If you increase walking speed, you present the scaling of the world more. Means that locations feel pretty small. You have to find a good balance between "my char walks in a reasonable speed" and "the felt distance is good".

Let me make a quick example: GTA V and Online have both a speed limit for cars and planes. No car gets over 140mph ingame and no plane over 200mph. At the one hand, this looks pretty silly in first person, when you drive a full tuned supercar and the speedometer shows 135mph. But, at the other hand, the map becomes HUGE. And the GTA V isn't really that huge. But because of those "scaling-speed-limitation" you get the impression of a huge map. I think PotC:NH has quite the same target

I can imagine if the speed is too low, you spend substantial amounts of time "waiting to arrive".
Since people are impatient, they'll start using Fast Travel and Time Compression instead.
That doesn't contribute to the game world feeling realistic or huge, does it?

Anyway, the final decision is simple: Default remains as-is.
And there will be an optional option that is disabled by default in the Installer EXE for people who do want it faster.

@Grey Roger: Did you decide to DE-crease the walking speeds?
I see "run" went from 4.3 down to 3.3 and "fight run" from 4.5 to 3.0?
Is that what we want now? :confused:

I'm not sure who changed the figures, but I see in your version that it's back up to 4.3 and 4.5. Reverting to an old version which presumably worked is fine by me.

Back