• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Curses! Apothecary Mod and Easter Eggs

An HPBonus would be easy enough. One that works only WHILE you are a skeleton, perhaps?
How much HP would be fair? 50? 100?

Well the curse was Disney's idea, so... :razz
But at least there they had to put in a lot of effort to find Isla de Muerte first. As it stands now in the game, finding Isla de Muerte is deliberately quite easy. :shrug

hmm I think the hp-boost should be all the time, Elizabeth couldnt stab Barbossa even when he was in human form ;)
What is with the ship's stats? can we boost some of them too? (maybe only a bit more hp and a bit more speed?)

Not sure how far I'll go with the realism on the curse. Probably WILL add:
- EVERYONE attacks you on sight while you're a skeleton

Or are Scared of you and will not talk to you - so Store keepers etc won't sell you supplies and stuff, ( or call you an abomination and tell you to get out , or call the guards) and tavern-keepers won't let you stay there.

:rumgone

I'm thinking of how easy it is to code. If we want that HP bonus to be ALL the time, I have to add more code to define whether you're cursed or not.
If it is ONLY while you look like a skeleton, I can just incorporate it in the code that is already there.

Not sure how to edit ship strength stuff; the Ship Upgrades coding caused us quite some issues to get working properly-like.
I'd rather leave that out for a first version of this...

Or are Scared of you and will not talk to you
I think as I've set it up now, characters without weapons will indeed run away.
Though I doubt there'll be many of them around at night.

so Store keepers etc won't sell you supplies and stuff, ( or call you an abomination and tell you to get out , or call the guards) and tavern-keepers won't let you stay there.
Stores are closed at night anyway. And you're only a skeleton outside, not inside. So tavern owners wouldn't notice.

Not sure how to edit ship strength stuff; the Ship Upgrades coding caused us quite some issues to get working properly-like.
I'd rather leave that out for a first version of this...

I don't think we need a ship stat boost, to be honest.
The only thing I think would make sense is for the crew to be harder to kill in boardings and/or when taking hits from enemy ships, but if that's still too complex then it doesn't matter.

HPBonus whenever a character is in skeleton mode should be doable. And that'd apply to ANY such character, including boarding crewmembers.

How does +300 HP at night sound? Gives you an incentive to do your piratin' in the dark anyway, which otherwise I like to avoid because I can't see much of anything.

Now HERE's an idea for the crew and ship curse effect! We add up the TOTAL number of cursed coins in the player's and crew's possession.
We add this up each day in a counter and once the counter reaches a set number, new curse stuff happens.
So more coins means, quicker effect of the curse. Makes sense, no?

And for the food and rum calculations, we subtract the number of cursed coins from the total crew quantity.
So a ship with 30 crew and 10 cursed coins only needs to feed 20 crew.

What about Double Rum Rations or Half Food Rations? Should their positive/negative morale effects continue when you are cursed?
If so, to what extent should that still work? Maybe calculate the percentage of cursed crew vs. non-cursed? That might work.

I had been wondering if it is worthwhile to go through a lot of trouble for this whole "cursed coins" thing. It was supposed to be something simple.
But it just struck me: We are talking about the Curse of the Black Pearl. That's the film this game was a tie-in for.
So yes it IS worth it; the namesake curse finally makes its way into our game! Here's to hoping people can have some proper fun with this once it's done. :woot

How does +300 HP at night sound? Gives you an incentive to do your piratin' in the dark anyway, which otherwise I like to avoid because I can't see much of anything.

if you play in "no sun lightened" room, you should not get the screen too dark (seems working for me)

What happens in a treasure quest when you open the chest and find it has hundreds of these coins? It happens.

What happens in a treasure quest when you open the chest and find it has hundreds of these coins? It happens.
No any-more; I got rid of those cursed coins there. They don't belong there and now that we're making them REALLY cursed, that makes it a even better thing. :cheeky

How does this sound:
- Amount of cursed crew is defined as being your total crew - the number of cursed coins anywhere on board or in player/officer/companion/crew possession
- Food-related morale effect depends on the % of cursed crew
- Allowing the player to sell cursed coins, except for the last one carried by yourself.
- I'm increasing the value to 1500 gold per coin, making the total chest worth 1,321,500 gold.

This has the following effects:
- Finding a single cursed coin only curses the player and doesn't cause notable morale drops
- Plundering the chest on Isla de Muerte, however, does cause morale problems
- With lowest Leadership and no Iron Will, morale drops down to Awful (19)
- With highest Leadership and WITH Iron Will, you can keep morale at Normal (40)
- If you sell all the cursed coins, the morale effect will be very slow. HOWEVER, once you DO want to break the curse, you won't be able to due to a lack of coins!

Still to do:
- Making sure you CAN'T sell the last coin
- Making Vanderdecken sell ONE coin, just in case people are in a dire need of lifting the curse straight after finding the chest in Isla de Muerte
- Sail and Fog effects after a time period

Questions:
- How bad should the curse effect be if you have only one coin? Should it be increasingly bad, including crew morale?
Or should we make keeping a single coin to be not too bad at all and basically just turn you into a skeleton at night?
- If we make a single coin be NOT that bad, it is easy to go and sell ALL the coins on Isla de Muerte and keep only one.
On the other hand, that does mean you don't get the bonus of extra-strong crew at night and no food/rum consumption.
- Perhaps we could make the torn sails and fog effects be related to the % of crew cursed instead of being time-dependent?

Do I understand that right? If you sell the coins, you will never break the curse? Or do they appear again at some trader/people?

The only way to break the curse is to put 882 coins in the chest on Isla de Muerte.
And there are only three places to get them:
1. 881 already in the chest
2. 1 sold by Vanderdecken if you already have at least one yourself (useful to un-curse yourself if you REALLY don't like getting cursed after opening the chest)
3. Randomly in the game, but VERY rare

So if you DO sell the coins, you'll have a really hard time getting 882 again to put back in that chest.
But that's sort-of what happened to Barbossa too, isn't it? :rofl

Only problem I see right now is that if you have just 1 coin left, the effects are hardly bothersome. Apart from the "turning into a skeleton hated by everyone" at night.
So I'm not sure yet how to handle that one, without making the game instantly unplayable if you have all 881 on board.

Will it be possible to NOT take a cursed coin, thereby not getting cursed in the first place?

Back