• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Correcting "Early Explorers" Period

You sure? I thought I exported the locators from Hylie's file and re-imported them into the clean version before I uploaded?
Anyway, doesn't matter if you'll be posting the fully correct version later anyway. :cheeky

I had to add and subtract locators to make your hull work also.

Just idly wondering if at some point in the future this ship could become a generic ship?

POTC new 2015-06-23 17-01-31-58.jpg

For a different skin, I don't see why not.
More variety in the early time periods does sound like a good idea to me. :yes

Not sure if the added details should be included for the generic ones.
Many generic ships do have extra details now of course.

Here I am as Francis Drake, having just set sail from La Tortue, and the lookout has reported strange sail on the port bow. This turned out to be an English war galleon, i.e. some variant of Revenge - what are the chances of meeting one of those next to French-owned Tortuga and Spanish-owned Hispaniola?

golden_hind_battle.jpg

What the lookout hadn't spotted was two big Spanish galleons nearer to the main island, but the other galleon did see them and went in to attack. So did I. The Revenge is bigger than the Golden Hind and has more, bigger guns, so it stood off and hammered them with cannonballs. Meanwhile I closed on one, gave it a good going over with grapeshot, and it eventually surrendered. The cargo wasn't all that valuable, mostly fruit, wine and ale, the last one being potentially a bit of a problem because it's contraband in Spanish colonies, which is most of the Caribbean, and I'm not much interested in smuggling, especially not since it was made more "interesting". However the question of what to do with the ale became irrelevant because, though I hadn't planned on attacking the second Spanish ship after damage taken from the first, I ended up doing so anyway. The same tactics prevailed again - the Revenge hit it with cannonballs, I hit it with grapeshot, the ship surrendered (though the captain didn't, which was the last mistake he'll ever make), and this one had a much more lucrative load including silver and ebony. Most of what I'd taken off the first ship promptly went over the side to make way for this loot. It's a pity I couldn't share the loot with my temporary comrade; there was certainly plenty to go around. We went our separate ways, and I was about to head off to another island when the docking icon appeared. I'd just found Boca de Hubon. This is close to the buccaneer camp, so I landed, went to said camp, sold the loot, and used the money to buy some equipment and hire some officers.

The Golden Hind is a very nice model. The only minor niggle I have at the moment is, why is its underside red? On a real ship this would probably be either copper cladding or a coat of red lead to prevent rust, neither of which was common practice in the 16th century. Most physical models I've seen of ships from that era have white undersides. The replica Golden Hinde on which this version seems to be based has no waterline so the underside is the same colour as the topside:
http://footprintsoflondon.com/live/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Golden-Hinde-Cutty-Sark-002.jpg

The ship took quite a lot of damage in the battle, so there were a lot of pieces of wood lying around. We turned some of them into souvenirs of our first victory:
golden_hind_oak_small.jpg
(Actually that's a souvenir from the same replica. It visited Edinburgh, where I live, many years ago. The public were allowed to go aboard, so I did. When I say "many years", I mean it - I didn't have a digital camera at that time, which is why you're not getting any photos of the ship.)

By default, Francis Drake is equipped with the Bosun's Choice. This shouldn't exist; according to "initItems.c", it first appears in "Golden Age".

The "Angelique Moulin" side quest probably needs to be disabled for "Early Explorers" free play. It ends with you digging up Francis Drake's Sword. In "Early Explorers", there's only one person who should be carrying that, he's now playable, and he shouldn't need to dig it up because he probably hasn't buried it. xD

The replica on which it's based has a red underside here.

The extra details are very easy to get rid of in case of a generic ship as they are all placed in a _deck.gm model.

Attachments

• 2goldhinde.jpg
    2goldhinde.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 105
Here I am as Francis Drake, having just set sail from La Tortue, and the lookout has reported strange sail on the port bow. This turned out to be an English war galleon, i.e. some variant of Revenge - what are the chances of meeting one of those next to French-owned Tortuga and Spanish-owned Hispaniola?
WorldMap ships don't take into account near island nationality. @Levis did once make a mod that did take that into account, but that one made pirates disappear from the worldmap altogether.
While "Coast Raiders" generally do match with the nation of the islands, there is a random chance that another nation is used instead.

By default, Francis Drake is equipped with the Bosun's Choice. This shouldn't exist; according to "initItems.c", it first appears in "Golden Age".
The starting weapons are player-type dependent and are given in PROGRAM\Characters\characters_init.c . At the moment there is no period check in place.
You'd be quite welcome to go through that list and check if everything there seems to make sense.

The "Angelique Moulin" side quest probably needs to be disabled for "Early Explorers" free play. It ends with you digging up Francis Drake's Sword. In "Early Explorers", there's only one person who should be carrying that, he's now playable, and he shouldn't need to dig it up because he probably hasn't buried it. xD
Should Francis Drake be given his own sword at the start of the game in Free Play?
If not, perhaps that sidequest is how he got the weapon? It would be a shame to disable a sidequest purely because the sword given at the end doesn't make that much sense.
And it would also be a shame if every player in the game would be able to get "Francis Drake's sword" but NOT Francis Drake. :facepalm

Anyway, most sidequests are enabled in PROGRAM\Periods.c so it should be easy enough to put a period check in there for some of them.

Should Francis Drake be given his own sword at the start of the game in Free Play?
That is what I was thinking, yes. Not least because it's indestructible. The Golden Hinde has a small crew and most of your enemies are likely to be Spanish galleons with much larger crews, which means you'll probably end up fighting lots of Spaniards by yourself. It won't take long for a regular blade, e.g. that Bosun's Choice, to deteriorate and break. Which is why my first attempt at boarding a Spanish galleon didn't end well - when the sword broke, I couldn't parry, and was dead before I could even reach for a quick-equip key to pull out one of the swords I'd taken off dead enemies on previous decks. In the battle described above I got lucky, both ships surrendered, and all I had to fight was one captain. That doesn't always happen even if you've hit an enemy ship with so much grapeshot that the crew is seriously depleted and down to "Treacherous" morale.

That is what I was thinking, yes. Not least because it's indestructible.
Indeed I suppose that cannot hurt.
Would that be OK for ALL Corsairs in Early Explorers?

If blades deteriorate too quickly, that can easily be tweaked. The values used for that are still the original test numbers I put in when I made that mod.
Nobody ever provided feedback, so the numbers were never changed.

In normal use, blades are fine. I have no problem keeping them going until I can get to a blacksmith to get them polished back up, and in due course I build up a stock of spares so I and my officers always have "Excellent" or at least "Fine" blades. The problem is a scenario in which a small ship is likely to be up against a much larger ship most of the time, and until you've got officers competent in melee equipped with decent weapons and armour, you're likely to be facing multiple opponents a lot, parrying a lot, and breaking blades a lot.

It might not do any harm to have other corsairs equipped with something unbreakable in "Early Explorers". The point about Francis Drake is that Francis Drake's Sword exists and is unbreakable, so he ought to have it. ;)

It might not do any harm to have other corsairs equipped with something unbreakable in "Early Explorers". The point about Francis Drake is that Francis Drake's Sword exists and is unbreakable, so he ought to have it. ;)
Yup. So.... If-statement in characters_init.c to give all corsairs Drake's sword in Early Explorers. Maybe Spanish Main too to cover the Bosun's Choice not appearing until Golden Age.
And then another if-statement in the sidequest code to put a different blade in place at the end of the Moulin sidequest.
Does that sound about right to you?

WorldMap ships don't take into account near island nationality. @Levis did once make a mod that did take that into account, but that one made pirates disappear from the worldmap altogether.
While "Coast Raiders" generally do match with the nation of the islands, there is a random chance that another nation is used instead.

Expect the worldmap mod to return in a improved form.

"Spanish Main" doesn't need special treatment because if you can't find modest size merchants to attack, you can practice on pirates until you and your officers are ready to handle the big stuff. But in "Early Explorers" you don't want to upset the pirates as they're initially tolerant of you and are your only safe ports until you get something big enough to take one from the Spanish. Incidentally, is the Bosun's Choice based on any real period-specific sword, or might the solution simply be to edit its entry in "initItems.c" so that it is legal for "Early Explorers"? :D

I'm not so sure about giving Drake's Sword to all corsairs. It's Drake's Sword, not Everyone's Sword. ;) But another possible solution occurs to me, which is, give corsairs the Blade Care Kit, at least in "Early Explorers". That might keep their swords functional long enough to survive boarding a large galleon.

The if-statement to put something else at the end of the Moulin sidequest in "Early Explorers" is a good idea. :yes

"Spanish Main" doesn't need special treatment because if you can't find modest size merchants to attack, you can practice on pirates until you and your officers are ready to handle the big stuff. But in "Early Explorers" you don't want to upset the pirates as they're initially tolerant of you and are your only safe ports until you get something big enough to take one from the Spanish. Incidentally, is the Bosun's Choice based on any real period-specific sword, or might the solution simply be to edit its entry in "initItems.c" so that it is legal for "Early Explorers"? :D
Not that I'm aware. But I'm no expert.
Other option is to replace it with a blade that IS available in Early Explorers. As long as it is a Corsair-ey blade, that should do the trick.

I'm not so sure about giving Drake's Sword to all corsairs. It's Drake's Sword, not Everyone's Sword. ;) But another possible solution occurs to me, which is, give corsairs the Blade Care Kit, at least in "Early Explorers". That might keep their swords functional long enough to survive boarding a large galleon.
True. Put in a check: If Early Explorers, give Drake's swordc to him and Blade Care Kit to everyone else.

The if-statement to put something else at the end of the Moulin sidequest in "Early Explorers" is a good idea. :yes
Any thoughts on a nice other blade to put there?
Does the questbook entry also refer to Drake or is it only in the weapon name?

Not that I'm aware. But I'm no expert.
Other option is to replace it with a blade that IS available in Early Explorers. As long as it is a Corsair-ey blade, that should do the trick.
For something with vaguely similar stats which isn't tied to a nation, one option might be the Asiatic Broadsword. Originally this was the sword you took off the Animist leader towards the end of the "Strange Things Going On" side quest; it's now more widely available. Or the Kilij, another Arabic looking sword - if you see someone waving an outsize blade at you, it's probably this, and I've seen those often enough on various enemies.

Any thoughts on a nice other blade to put there?
Does the questbook entry also refer to Drake or is it only in the weapon name?
Line 8 specifically refers to Sir Francis Drake:
"I don't believe it! The hidden item was the sword of one of the most famous pirates of all, Sir Francis Drake! I hope this blade won't cause ME any bad luck though, like it did with the previous captain who owned it."
Line 9 is the one you get if you refuse the quest. So you could add line 10 saying perhaps something like:
"I don't believe it! The hidden item was an ornate and surprisingly well preserved sword! I hope this blade won't cause ME any bad luck though, like it did with the previous captain who owned it."
"quests_side.c" would need to be edited, with something like this in case "jelaifini":
Code:
if (GetCurrentPeriod() == PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS) AddQuestRecord("Moulin", 10);
else AddQuestRecord("Moulin", 8);
As for which sword to put there, perhaps the Dragon's Head? The other indestructible swords are all tied to specific individuals or quests. (Where do you get the Sword of Triton? Is that Blackbeard's sword when you meet him on Isla de la Muerte?)

The description for Francis Drake's Sword in "ItemsDescribe.txt" would also need to change because at the moment that specifically refers to the Moulin quest. Or possibly define a second version in "initItems.c", almost identical but with a different name, so that Drake's Sword as wielded by Drake himself would get a different entry in "ItemsDescribe.txt" as well. (Maybe tone it down a bit - the existing one is an awesome sword, perhaps a bit too good for a starting character. Novice Drake gets a more basic version; what's buried by Moulin is what it became after Drake had cared for it throughout his career, or as a result of work done by some subsequent owner.)

@Jack Rackham, did you have the extra details for the Golden Hind already finished and/or posted?
I need to make a new EXE Installer very soon because the Ship Interface Picture needs to be added.
However, if I don't do it this evening, it might have to wait until next week. :facepalm

Back