• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Cannon smoke colour

BrAdriano

Sailor Apprentice
I would to change the broadside smoke from POTC from white to black like in GOF,these games use the same engine,but which file is responsible for this?So i can merge from GOF to POTC the texture.

Isn't cannon smoke supposed to be white? Anyway, both games use very different particle systems for whatever reason.
The colours are defined in the INI files in PotC and not in the texture files, if I recall correctly. Not sure about CoAS.

It is off white or gray. I know this cannon was loaded with black powder. They show the clearly marked bag.

I've seen a lot of cannons go off, all using black powder. All the smoke was white.

This video well and you know there is also a good demonstration of ballistic curves! The COAS and the GoF has the ball flew into the sky.

BTW: Black smoke in part to the late 19th century and already in WW I and WW II.

COAS uses white smoke BTW. The only exception to this is the Flying Dutchman which uses heavy black smoke. I know some of the modders have used the black smoke texture on First Rate/Class 1 ships in the past.

We have talked about ballistic curves forever. If you bothered searching through old discussions you would find all kinds of mods and tweaks and details on this....Bottom line is that at close range the max ordinate arc is not that unrealistic. The fact is that 17th 18th century optimal engagement range was 200 yards.

Max range (which was VERY inaccurate) was about 2000 meters and require(d/s) an ARC. In OUR game COAS....the max ranges are far beyond the 2000 meters. You can hit a ship visually almost a mile off. If that could REALLY happen in real life, I think you would need a significant mortar like arc to achieve it.

There is a mod in the mini mods that allows you to turn off the cannon ball visuals if they bother you so badly --- so that you don't see them anymore. That sounds like the mod for you.

QUOTE: Pirate Blackbeard - "BTW: Black smoke in part to the late 19th century and already in WW I and WW II."

Those powders were based on lyddite and cordite - NOT black powder. Lyddite was only used from the 1890s up to WWI and does produce a slightly blacker smoke.

However as a former American Field Artillery Officer, I have fired thousands of cordite based powders behind modern projectiles....guess what..........................the smoke is mostly greyish-WHITE

MK

MK: I think that the black smoke of gunpowder, but its composition, that you have written.

With that ballistic curve is wrong. Surely you know how to set up your gun, if you were to shoot at a greater distance, gave wedges out there, you know what I mean. Maximum range gun, or shooting at longer distances increased ballistic curve / arc projectile, but not so large as the COAS! If you imagine so, it shows that you are misinformed (this is not an insult). Vasin was shot at point 45 degree angle, and you seriously think that the ballistic curve such as the COAS?

E.g. if you played Empire or Napoleon: Total War, so there is a beautiful demonstration of ballistic curve and closer to reality, at least, but COAS and GoF it ever does, but New Horizons is the reality and which also applies to this.

I don't believe that the naval cannons could elevate their barrels enough to fire the shots that are routine in COAS. Besides, how are you supposed to hit your target when all you can see is sky?

I do not think the cannon carriages would allow the barrels to be pointedup like a mortar.
And when trying to aim them in COAS one has to look up so high that the ship is not visible.

Back