• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Shooting cannons (New Horizons, COAS and GoF) - video

Kikirik007

Sailor Apprentice
You mean that the arc that you can fire at in CoAS is too large? I seem to remember stock PotC was similar. Let me see if I can find the code for that...

Have a look in PROGRAM\CANNONS\Cannons_init.c and find the rCannon.FireAngMax and rCannon.FireAngMin lines.
Then there is also in PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c some FireZone , FireDir, FireAngMin and FireAngMax lines.
All these have been modified in the PotC Build Mod to add FIRE_ANGLE_SCALAR_H (height) and FIRE_ANGLE_SCALAR_W (width) scalars.
Does that help any?

Yes, exactly. The COAS and the GoF arc is too big. This is called the ballistic curve and it is in GoF COAS and as I wrote, has the shape of a rainbow and it is unrealistic. The game thus losing playability. But what New Horizons is excellent, so is ideal ballistic curve and almost realistic! It is to point the gun gave up at the sky, and that's the COAS and GoF! But New Horizons is the elevation, almost realistic! Therefore, in New Horizons that much better. However, see this video and you'll see the difference there, and especially note the flying bullets and ballistic curve and elevation and works porvnahte it! And just as it is in New Horizons, so I want to do the GoF and COAS in vanilla.

If one could contact the creator of New Horizons and ask him.

There were a lot of people who worked on that, mainly KNB and Hook. I haven't heard from Hook for a while and KNB was before my time. Don't even know who that was on the forum.
I'd recommend searching the PotC PROGRAM folder for USE_REAL_CANNONS and you'll find all the relevant code.
Or search for the FIRE_ANGLE_SCALAR_H (height) and FIRE_ANGLE_SCALAR_W (width) scalars.

Yet I give you one example. Note ballistic curve in the game Empire: Total War, such was also about the reality and also the greatest distance, no matter what the caliber of the gun. And such a curve is similar to New Horizons!
Turn it on for 1 minute.

Pieter: No, but I do not know what to change and to what value.

Since both games are so similar, why don't you try to change it to what is already there in PotC?
Or just change it a bit and see if it has any effect at all? Then you can adjust it until it feels right to you.

Just ask, you know what you want to say or at least imply that?
Afterwards I played without mods and there is not the same as in COAS. And everything changed mode New Horizons.

I do not understand this sentence.
Since both games are so similar, why don't you try to change it to what is already there in PotC?

What I'm saying is: Why don't you try to copy the code changes made to PotC into the CoAS code?

Ok, I'll try and then I'll know.

Still I want to ask that if there is a theme to compare COAS vanilla and GoF mode? Well, what is better, and so on.

Have you heard of WinMerge? That is a program you can use for exactly comparing code files and is very useful for modding. :onya

So I tried to copy it, but it does not work. It's still the same, just, I can not shoot, but nothing has been heard, so I made ​​an error. So now, in fact I do not know what it will be changed. We would like to contact the creators of New Horizons, which they did on this system. Could you please help me somehow?

"The creators of New Horizons" are dozens of people, me being one of them. Most are no longer active and haven't been for years.
The way we have gotten things done is pretty much by figuring things out on our own. You would have an advantage as the Build Mod already has what you need.
But I doubt you'll find anyone here who can spend the time and effort to do it. All we can do is to try and point you in the right direction.

Well that's a shame I have to accept some of the most terrible and unrealistic firing of cannons. I just hope it will not be shooting itself in the Hearts of Oak, btw is an amazing project and I wish you luck. And if possible, so they do the guns, as real as possible, real balistic curve, the real damage model ships, etc. ... So good luck and thank you for trying to help, you are a fine man.

:):pflag

I'd still like to help you try to get it done yourself, but keep in mind I have basically zero experience with modding CoAS; not to mention, a LOT of other things I want to get done.
All I know is that the code is very similar to PotC and a lot of things apply to both games. So as I say, figuring out how it is done in PotC should allow you to do the same in CoAS.
It may require some figuring out at first and it may take a while. But it can be done.

We'll definitely make Hearts of Oak as realistic in that respect as we can. :yes

Thank you very much.
This game will be amazing, or perhaps not so, that was already done. So once again and good luck :):pflag

While we're here, so while I played the best, funniest and most realistic naval battles in the game, Empire and Napoleon: Total War. Is there a realistic ship damage, almost realistic ballistic curve and many more. Also, even the ship models are amazing and especially their scale. The COAS I dislike scale ships are smaller than keb, stands also constructing directory. This cleavage would also be able to take something to the game.
:ship

Back