• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bulletstorm

I still haven't got around to even playing the demo yet :wp

I have heard some bad things about DNF, and I am not all that much in to FPS's to begin with, so I will probably avoid that one as well. I remember playing the first one, and it was ok, but the sequels Duke Nukem II and Duke Nukem 3D were not near as impressive in my opinion.

This is the first 16 minutes of Bulletstorm gameplay in the full game. Note it seems to be running on a console, so it doesn't look as great graphics-wise as it can. Saves you of having to grab the demo. :cheeky xD:

Avoid DNF at all costs - it is easily the worst FPS I've ever played. The "humour" is too over-the-top and borders on absolute disgusting in most of the demo that I played.

I finally got around to watching this ... :wp

I also watched some actual in game footage, and I am really not all that impressed. Looks like to me they just made the game just so you could swear and shoot things. Yup ...reminds me a lot of DNF ...and the reason I don't much like FPS's. Next time I just aint even gonna bother with a topic!

xD:

It's like a more mild DNF. :yes I think the main reason I like it is the visuals and the meaty feel of the higher-powered guns. Although, after the patch, the game chugs like a pig on here now when run maxed-out. Don't know what's up with that.

The highlight of the whole game for me was first coming upon a tower that collapsed across a seemingly bottomless, mist-filled chasm, and the disturbing realization that running through it is your only option to get across. Looking up at what was once the floor, and seeing water streaming down out of the few still-operable fountains and pouring through the smashed windows is simply awesome. :cheeky

I also find perverse joy in shooting baddies in the arse with a sniper rifle. :woot I think that's a bad thing. :shock

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with shooting baddies in the ass with a sniper rifle, it can be most satisfying, especially if they squirm a bit! I just have issues with the way most games do it. I really enjoyed the first real FPS, Wolfenstein 3D was simply awesome! I could probably still remember how a lot of those levels went, as I played them over and over. I like eye candy as much as any gamer, but it means nothing if there isn't a captivating story line, and good gameplay to go along with it.

Maybe it's just the fact I am old school. Most of the games I played when I was growing up were text based adventures, like Zork, or Planetfall. Games that played out more like reading a book. They left your imagination to build the world just how you thought it should be by the way the games developers described it to you. I don't think it is a bad thing that games have come such a long way graphics wise, but with most games there is nothing else but what lies on the surface, eye candy. The rest just feels hollow because the world is painted for you and there is nothing left for your imagination to build on. I think that is one thing that has kept these forums active for so long. POTC and CoAS do have there shortcomings, but they allow you to build the world as you think it should be! Wolfenstein was the only FPS that really left me with that kind of feeling. :shrug

Back