• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When entering Santiago in a new savegame (from the outskirts) I get this error in system.log and I just get a black screen
Code:
Can't load texture resource\textures\185.BMP.tx
resource\models\locations\Town_Santiago\center\store_stuff.gm: can't open geometry file
@Grey Roger or @Jack Rackham are there some files missing in the archive?

Edit: Nevermind seems my winmerge forgot to copy some stuff over

Last edited:
Also, I'm curious is there a reason why havana and santiago aren't connected by jungle? Or did I just miss the connection?

and the only outdoor blacksmith in the Caribbean.

I just noticed today that the blacksmith wasn't added to the store_init file where it lists all the different types of stores, blacksmiths are also listed there. So maybe you want to fix that :).

I just noticed today that the blacksmith wasn't added to the store_init file where it lists all the different types of stores, blacksmiths are also listed there. So maybe you want to fix that :).
Would that include it in the fetch quests too?

Found another strange thing.
I found this character:
Code:
// Alice Tailor
    ch.old.name = "Karen";
    ch.old.lastname = "Cakebread";
    ch.name    = TranslateString("", "Karen");
    ch.lastname    = TranslateString("", "Cakebread");
    ch.id = "Karen Cakebread";
    ch.model = "Towngirl";
    ch.sex = "man";
    ch.location    = "Alice_TailorsShop";
    ch.location.group = "sit";
    ch.location.locator = "sit2";
    ch.IsTailor = true;
    ch.Dialog.Filename = "tailor_dialog.c";
    ch.Dialog.Filename.Groupdialog = "tailor.c";
    ch.rank     = 1;
    ch.nation = ENGLAND;
    ch.reputation = "None";
    ch.experience = "0";
    ch.skill.Leadership = "0";
    ch.skill.Fencing = "0";
    ch.skill.Sailing = "0";
    ch.skill.Accuracy = "0";
    ch.skill.Cannons = "0";
    ch.skill.Grappling = "0";
    ch.skill.Repair = "0";
    ch.skill.Defence = "0";
    ch.skill.Commerce = "10";
    ch.skill.Sneak = "0";
    ch.money = "10";
    LAi_SetStayType(ch);
    LAi_SetLoginTime(ch, 0.0, 24.0);
    AddGameCharacter(n, ch);
But can't find the location which is named in here. The Alice_TailorShop doesn't seem to exist. Anyone has an idea why?
From compile log:
Code:
FindIslandByLocation ERROR: Please post your compile.log file at piratesahoy.net!
No island found for Alice_TailorsShop

Eleuthera was added by a bit of a novice modder.
Maybe he forgot to add the location?

Thanks for that. I didn't know of the existence of "store_init". It can't be all that critical because the blacksmith certainly works and I've already used his services. Presumably the entry should be the character's ID, not necessarily his name? The reason I ask is that I gave him the rather unimaginative ID of "Santiago_blacksmith" but his name is Micael Salinas.

And he does have the line 'ch.Dialog.Filename.Groupdialog = "Blacksmith_fetch.c";' in his definition. ;)

That's weird. I remember we could walk from Havana to Santiago through land :unsure
If I remember correctly, you could walk between Havana and Santiago in Build 13, but not in Build 14. This is reasonable because Cuba is a big island. In the game it takes several days to sail from Havana to Santiago, and that's with a following wind of decent strength. So it would probably take a couple of weeks to walk, assuming modern paved roads. Hacking through jungle, it would be more like a couple of months. And that's before you take account of Sierra Maestra, which isn't just the name of a beach, it's a mountain range. Walking from Havana to Santiago during the times covered by the game would be rather impractical. xD

Probably for similar reasons, you can't walk across Hispaniola from Port au Prince to Santo Domingo either. You can walk across some smaller islands, particularly Barbados because both "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and "Hornblower" require you to walk between Speightstown and Bridgetown.

Presumably the entry should be the character's ID, not necessarily his name?
Correct; character ID is always the relevant one. :yes

I think it's only in my StartStoryline stuff that I use character names, but that's because that all applies to the player character whose ID is always "blaze".

If I remember correctly, you could walk between Havana and Santiago in Build 13, but not in Build 14.
Huh; why did that ever change then, I wonder...? o_O

Here is what happens if you tell Google Maps that you want to walk from Havana to Santiago:
Google Maps

It calculates 179 hours, on modern roads. That's nearly 7.5 days non-stop, probably longer if you want to eat, drink and sleep during the week. Now take a guess at how long you'd need to make the same journey on twisty jungle paths.

If a route were opened in the game, you could probably walk from Havana to Santiago in a couple of hours. This is a bit silly. xD

Of course realism has nothing to do with it.
But that still doesn't answer why it changed.

Possibly someone else had come to the same conclusion. Or perhaps it was to make sure that, in the "Bartolomeu" storyline, when you've just rescued most of your crew from Havana and need to follow Emilio Soares to Santiago, you can't just walk there - but then I'd imagine that it would have been @Bartolomeu o Portugues who made the change and he wouldn't have asked about it. :D

Tracing through the ancient version of "PROGRAM\Locations\init\cuba.c" from the old Beta 3 archive, it's fairly similar to the present one except that Havana and Santiago towns did not have the big VCO models at that time. Out of town, it appears the same as today's version. From Havana you go through "Cuba_Jungle_01", "Cuba_Jungle_02" and "Cuba_Jungle_03", with branches fom those to "Cuba_Shore_01", "Cuba_Shore_03" and "Cuba_Shore_04" respectively; "Cuba_Jungle_03" also leads to "Smugglers Fort". Santiago leads either to "Cuba_Jungle_04" and then to "Cuba_Shore_05", or from a different exit straight to "Cuba_Shore_02".

I've no idea what the layout was in Build 13, but for a link between the two towns, there would either need to have been two more jungle locations, or at least one beach and possibly "Smugglers Fort" would need to not be there so that the links from jungles to those places would instead be a link between two jungle locations. For example, if "Smugglers Fort" and "Cuba_Shore_05" (Playa de Sierra Maestra) did not exist then "Cuba_Jungle_03" could have linked to "Cuba_Jungle_04".

It would be very complicated to make a realistic trip by land within the island of Cuba at this time because of its natural condition of narrow and elongated.
Even for the Spaniards of this time it was impossible to get from Havana to Santiago by land or vice versa because of the dangers that represented the jungle and I am not talking about cats or poisonous snakes because they are not there, but mosquitoes that were more deadly. Even without counting the large number of groups of different nations and origins that took refuge in this stretch.
Take as an example that the native cultures in both parts were very different and they did not know each other and even today that cultural difference between both places is maintained. For example, I am from the West and the cultural change is so remarkable compared to someone from the East that the people of the West call them "Oriental"
the famous "Cuban music" comes from the east and the famous "tobacco" comes from the west.
Spaniards took centuries to take control of the whole island and for this they needed to create 10 military trails.
All at a great cost of lives and resources..
zyndic10.jpg

fortin10.jpg

reconc10.jpg

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, you could walk between Havana and Santiago in Build 13, but not in Build 14. This is reasonable because Cuba is a big island. In the game it takes several days to sail from Havana to Santiago, and that's with a following wind of decent strength. So it would probably take a couple of weeks to walk, assuming modern paved roads. Hacking through jungle, it would be more like a couple of months. And that's before you take account of Sierra Maestra, which isn't just the name of a beach, it's a mountain range. Walking from Havana to Santiago during the times covered by the game would be rather impractical. xD.

That's what I tought and that's good. So I noticed in Santiago there where some "Carts" in the town. next to the church there is actually a big collection of them. Would it maybe be a nice idea if we made this paid services where you could take the cart from Santiago to Havana. Then we could actually make the time spend be real.
We would need to find a nice place in havana where you could also take the cars and maybe add one as a custom model? But I think that would be nice. But would it break any quest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back