• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

I don't know if anyone is interested but I've modified Maximus' old attempt at providing a way to train in melee skill on the deck of your ship with a crew member. Not having any way to train makes it nearly impossible to advance in this skill without suffering many deaths or near-deaths, as even lowly jungle bandits can take you out with one or two blows at level 1 melee. This kills immersion for me. And since surrendered captains seem to force a fight all the time now, having a higher melee skill is a necessity if you wish to take prize ships.

The original code was commented out in the latest version of the build mod as it did not work. I rewrote it in a simpler way to allow two options for training, one easy, the other tough. In testing this with the "skills increase through use" game setting, my melee training seems to work in a very balanced manner. The melee skill increases slowly so that you can not supercharge your character in one sitting (like the old Malcolm tutorial used to allow). It took me about an hour of constant sparring matches to move my Melee skill from a 1 to a 2. In terms of gameplay, I practice a little each time I make port so I steadily get better without undue boredom. Currently at level 4, I am now able to defend myself better in a bar fight or street brawl but sometimes still have to count on crew members to help me escape tougher bad guys.

I'm not sure how best to share the file edits I made. If anyone is interested and can tell me what to post and where, I'm happy to share with the community.

you can post it here if you want.
Include all the files you edited in a zipfolder. Best is to keep the folder structure from potc but if thats to much of a hassle just include them and we will sort them out.

Indeed that would be VERY welcome, @purseon! That code was commented out because it didn't work, so having something that DOES work would be great. :cheers

If you dont want it you can disable it in the internal_settings.h search the PERK_MULTIPLIER and set it to 0.
I tought this would be better cause some skills are just more powerfull then others so in this way you balance it out a bit already. Besides that leveling up goes pretty quick. I was doing the jack sparrow storyline and I hadn't even got to the curse of the black pearl part and I had all the perks I wanted already (this is about 10 hours playing tops). That's why I added this feature to add some more difficulty to it. By settings the MULTIPLIER to say 0.5 it will divide all the costs by 2 (it never will go lower then 1 tough ;)) so you can also use that if you want.

I tought about making it dependable to the difficulty setting also, but I believe leveling up gets harder already on a higher difficulty so thats why I didn't do that.
I think this game should be for everyone and everyone can set it the way they wanna play. if you dont want to play it as an hard RPG but more as a sailing simulator you can set it that way. I personally like to play it more as an RPG and therefore I try to add some things to it now to enhance this experience while giving other people the option to just disable it if they want to.

Most excellent. :thumbs1

Ouch. I had a really bad stealth virus some years ago and eventually had to just toss out 2 hard drives.

I'm probably living on borrowed time as one of my HDs is almost 7 years old.

Per my previous post, using the original idea of MAXIMUS (and borrowing from his code), I have created a way to train in swordplay with a crewmember onboard your ship in any storyline similar to the default story training with Malcolm. This is mainly for the "skill increases with use" option, but should work with manually distributed skill points as well (by increasing XP). Attached is a zip of the three files I edited to get the training system working. I created using Build 14, Beta 3.1. I have included comments in Crewmember_fight_dialog.c, and quests_common.c at the beginning and end of my modifications with my handle "PURSEON" so you can easily find them. The third file is Crewmember_fight_dialog.h and I wasn't sure if I could comment in that one, so I didn't, but it is basically lines 30-40 of that file that I made some dialog changes. I have tested this with a few story lines and character levels and it seems to scale pretty well. It takes many training sessions to reach the next level of melee skill, which seems about right to me.

Once installed, simply go to the deck of your ship (either in port or at sea) and speak to any crewman and ask him to help you with fencing practice. He will ask you if he should "go easy on you" and you can respond in one of two ways. If you ask him to "show you the basics" he will hold back his skill and be easier to fight. Asking him to "bring it on" will better test your skills (and allow you to gain experience more quickly) but may be too hard at lower levels. Note that crewman will spar with the various weapons they carry, so if you want an easier time, pick one with a dagger or other small blade.

Happy training!

Attachments

• Training.zip
    31.1 KB · Views: 76
Aye it works! seadogs2_0000.jpg seadogs2_0001.jpg seadogs2_0002.jpg seadogs2_0004.jpg - But I got a lot of error logs.

Attachments

• compile.log
    7.5 KB · Views: 73
  • error.log
    71.1 KB · Views: 89
  • system.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 69
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 2991
missed attribute: swordplayprofessional
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 2991
no rAP data

These errors are because of the perks modifications. it's possible the perk is not avaible so then it can't find the value. If you use the getattribute it will make sure not errors are generated. Also make sure you use "defence" instead of "defense". Just check the names with the perks_init.c file

same goes for this error
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialogs\Crewmember_fight_dialog.c; line: 100
missed attribute: count

The first time it doesn't recognise the value so use getattribute to get it. But for now it's (PChar.TrainingFight.count) also not set anywhere as far as I can see. so I think you forgot that.

RUNTIME ERROR - file: battle_interface\loginterface.c; line: 349
Invalid function call
These errors I'm not sure why they are generated, this could be storyline specific. Could someone try it in another storyline to check? And what stroyline where you playing davyjack?

That is great, Purseon! And officially welcome to the Storm Modders. :cheers

I put your code in my game version now, so it'll be part of the next modpack update.
Also, I made the code changes as per Levis' suggestion, so it shouldn't cause error logs anymore.

I do believe this is related to DavyJack playing around with her code files again: :wp
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: battle_interface\loginterface.c; line: 349
function 'CreateLandActionsEnvironment' stack error
Because that line should never be executed in The Buccaneer:
Code:
  if(sti(GetStorylineVar(FindCurrentStoryline(), "WR_PUZZLES")) > 0)
   {
     LoadStorylineFile("", "SL_utils.c");   // PB: To Prevent Errors
     CreateLandActionsEnvironment_WR(); // <--------------------------------------- THAT LINE ----------------------------------------
     return;
   }
Pretty sure that is unrelated to Purseon's work.

See attached for the adjusted files. I haven't tested this, so I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm it still works properly.

Edit: See next post.

Last edited:
Alternatively, see here for the adapted training code PLUS all Levis' recent code changes.
I had it all together anyway, so I might as well post the whole thing. :cheeky

Attachments

• Beta 3.2 Code 25-03-2014.zip
    61.3 KB · Views: 82
I think I'm missing things from jack rackham. is that right?
And also missing the things from the spyglass and the models for a ship which I also remember where posted somewhere.

I shall test for more errors and see if I can fix them

Jack Rackham was going to upload his stuff later; I don't have that either.
Indeed I didn't include the spyglass files in the above, but I do have those in my game.
Also, I had a modified HMS_Surprise hull file which I added to my game, but I don't remember who did that or why.

Jack Rackham was going to upload his stuff later; I don't have that either.
Indeed I didn't include the spyglass files in the above, but I do have those in my game.
Also, I had a modified HMS_Surprise hull file which I added to my game, but I don't remember who did that or why.
Believe Hilie did them. It's in the fix thread in the potc modding subforum I believe.

Didn't jack rackham also made a fix or something already? Tought I remember something like that. But he can upload everything indeed on friday.

OH! Yes, he did one for muskets on boardings. I've got it in my game already, so don't worry about that one. :doff

Back