• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Official navies probably issued standard weapons to their men. Pirates and private merchants probably used whatever they could find, buy, steal or otherwise acquire.

Regarding perks, if you do decide to alter the system, please make it optional as you did with skills. I quite like the new skill system but I do want to keep things like Instant Boarding. It is no fun spending ages tacking against a wind to board an enemy ship, only for the game to crash part way through the boarding - which, for me at least, happens rather often...

I agree. I wonder if we could also address the issue of soldiers on war ships and merchant ships.

I agree. I wonder if we could also address the issue of soldiers on war ships and merchant ships.
While I do agree with that one, it would require a fair bit of figuring out again.
At the moment, I'm not really up to that just yet. :(

It is no fun spending ages tacking against a wind to board an enemy ship, only for the game to crash part way through the boarding

That's the beauty in Akella's games

And if you don't like to sail against the wind, why not just take out the other vessel's masts and make a big loop around?(if you're after a sloop or naval cutter or bermuda sloop, just drop the chase, nothing valuable is on those ships, rather go at spanish treasure ships)

About the new perk system, I can't get the Advanced Defence ability. Even my crew can't get it that easily if they don't have it. And along with some other perks. Which results not getting other perks as those are some of their prerequisites. I don't know if Levis have already implied the new system he was taking about back then but if there are new prerequisites to some perks, I suggest putting the requirement(s) on the ability description like with the weapons.

Like if you need to learn that ability first: ('item_ID' required/Get 'item_ID'/Go to../Find 'this guy'/Obtain 'item_ID' from/or a picture of the said requirement)
in the perk(s)'s description, or somewhat like these. :)

That would be easily restored. Perhaps indeed we should do that and keep the nation-specific weapons for town guards only.
In boardings, wouldn't you use whatever you can find anyway?
Indeed I would but the lack of weapon variety during boardings really ruins the gameplay, at least for me. I am not saying that nation-specific weapons is a bad idea, not at all. its Just I wished it was working correctly.

And if you don't like to sail against the wind, why not just take out the other vessel's masts and make a big loop around?(if you're after a sloop or naval cutter or bermuda sloop, just drop the chase, nothing valuable is on those ships, rather go at spanish treasure ships)
That's not the point. Whether it's tacking against the wind or going round in circles, it takes a lot of time and effort, only for all that to be wasted when you finally board the ship and then the game crashes.

Or, for that matter, the soldiers on my ship. I didn't change that part of the configuration files so when I started, my boarders were in random sailor/pirate outfits, which was fine. After I got a Letter of Marque and then got promoted, they're all in uniform. They're all currently in Dutch uniform even though my most recent and highest promotion came from the British. If they're going to wear a uniform, at least they could wear the right one!

Is there any way to tie their uniform to the flag you're flying rather than your promotion? It sort of gives the game away to anyone looking at you. "Monsieur, that ship is flying a French flag but her captain is wearing a British uniform and her crew are wearing Dutch." "Only one ship has that combination, Nathaniel Hawk's - open fire!" xD

I don't know if Levis have already implied the new system he was taking about back then but if there are new prerequisites to some perks, I suggest putting the requirement(s) on the ability description like with the weapons.

Like if you need to learn that ability first: ('item_ID' required/Get 'item_ID'/Go to../Find 'this guy'/Obtain 'item_ID' from/or a picture of the said requirement)
Not yet done at all. :no

Is there any way to tie their uniform to the flag you're flying rather than your promotion? It sort of gives the game away to anyone looking at you. "Monsieur, that ship is flying a French flag but her captain is wearing a British uniform and her crew are wearing Dutch." "Only one ship has that combination, Nathaniel Hawk's - open fire!" xD
The boardermodels are set upon your first promotion for that nation.

My game is now getting a bit crazy. It's been 4 mos. since I last re-installed. The game freezes everytime I change a name, either for the officers my self or the ship's. It freezes for like 10-30sec. with the music going over and over like a scratched disc. The last fix I've put, I think, was the "Ship Encounter fix" by Levis since the problem began. But I don't know if this is the cause.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

And I'm wondering when will be the next patch/update as I don't want to re-install just yet as it would take me time to find and gather up all the fixes and such that are scattered around the forum.

At the moment I have other things on my plate than making fixes and updates. There will be a patch some time soonish, but I cannot tell you when.

You could try removing the file named "options" from your main game folder and see if that helps.
Otherwise, I'm sure Hylie Pistof would have some suggestions on improving performance.

Putting together existing stuff could be done relatively soon. But fixing additional bugs is a different story.

Eh? DaveyJack already knows all my tricks. Maintenance is key.

My POTC install is from last November, but I have been playing a lot of COAS this year so POTC does not have that many hours on it.

My game is now getting a bit crazy. It's been 4 mos. since I last re-installed. The game freezes everytime I change a name, either for the officers my self or the ship's. It freezes for like 10-30sec. with the music going over and over like a scratched disc...
...And I'm wondering when will be the next patch/update as I don't want to re-install just yet as it would take me time to find and gather up all the fixes and such that are scattered around the forum.
You could try removing the file named "options" from your main game folder and see if that helps.
Will do, thank you sire, as always. I haven't thought of that. :D
Aye! It indeed helped! And boosted up the performance! :thumbs1
Eh? DaveyJack already knows all my tricks. Maintenance is key.
And of course with this too. Maybe if I don't do system maintenance every now and then, deleting the 'options' file would only help a bit.

Okay next week I will try to fix some more bugs. I will first need to read again the things I missed.
have been busy the last few days tough. Figuring out some stuff and making something. Check the new topic I posted for more details.

About the new perk system, I can't get the Advanced Defence ability. Even my crew can't get it that easily if they don't have it. And along with some other perks. Which results not getting other perks as those are some of their prerequisites. I don't know if Levis have already implied the new system he was taking about back then but if there are new prerequisites to some perks, I suggest putting the requirement(s) on the ability description like with the weapons.

There's a fix in the topic now.

Now the Pieter has returned and there will be a new patch / version in the future I want to share my views on the change that was made in the abilities points system in Beta 3.1 I really very, very, extremely dislike this system where it takes as many as four points to get an ability. And this on top of the perquisite abilities. I don't really see the point of making it that difficult. We have four difficulty levels and realistic mode and direct sail all which IMO contribute to making the game as complex and difficult as we desire. This particular change in effect makes it impossible to achieve some of those levels without committing to playing one game for weeks and or months for hours per day. It feels gratuitous, arbitrary and not very well thought out. I think it is should be rethought and then re-set.

If you dont want it you can disable it in the internal_settings.h search the PERK_MULTIPLIER and set it to 0.
I tought this would be better cause some skills are just more powerfull then others so in this way you balance it out a bit already. Besides that leveling up goes pretty quick. I was doing the jack sparrow storyline and I hadn't even got to the curse of the black pearl part and I had all the perks I wanted already (this is about 10 hours playing tops). That's why I added this feature to add some more difficulty to it. By settings the MULTIPLIER to say 0.5 it will divide all the costs by 2 (it never will go lower then 1 tough ;)) so you can also use that if you want.

I tought about making it dependable to the difficulty setting also, but I believe leveling up gets harder already on a higher difficulty so thats why I didn't do that.
I think this game should be for everyone and everyone can set it the way they wanna play. if you dont want to play it as an hard RPG but more as a sailing simulator you can set it that way. I personally like to play it more as an RPG and therefore I try to add some things to it now to enhance this experience while giving other people the option to just disable it if they want to.

Back