• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Brigantine Castell Friedrichsburg 1688, upgraded to 16 guns

Ah; thanks for that! Indeed that's all I needed to know; I can figure out the rest. :doff

Problem found. Apparently the game didn't like the flag code as written. However, this works:
Code:
	refShip.Flags.Mast0.Flag1 = FLAG_ENSIGN;
refShip.Flags.Mast1.Flag1 = FLAG_PENNANT;
refShip.Flags.Mast2.Flag1 = FLAG_ENSIGN;
refShip.Flags.Mast3.Flag1 = FLAG_PENNANT;
refShip.Flags.Mast3.Flag2 = FLAG_PENNANT;
In case you weren't aware yet, any flag that is part of the main hull GM file should be coded as part of "mast0". Still, I didn't not doing so actually caused crashes. :facepalm

This file has the "penn" locators added to all GM files where appropriate: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Hylie%20Pistoff/after%20patch%207/From%20PB/CastelF1.7z
However, I did not resize the penn locators properly and haven't done any fal>rope locator conversions either. Anyway, hopefully this will help you continue your work. :doff

Thanks very much for working on this! :bow

Thank you very much. :bow It is surprising that getting the flags/pennants off would crash the game. In fact this is a first! There are around a dozen ships with the attached flagpole in POTC and none of them causes CTDs when they are off. In fact I normally spend time experimenting with them after I get the ship in the game. But this bunch of new ships are not following the old rules very well. :rumgone

It's still strange. I got her in game and all was going well until I went to the world map. That went ok but the exit produced a CTD. Time after time. I'm now tinkering, trying to find a combination that doesn't CTD.

Did you update the flags code on all copies of the ship? Maybe it's another of them still wreaking havoc?

Yes. I'm going to start over with it and use fluyt4 as its base. It turns out that it's a pretty small ship, not a big one. If that doesn't work i'm going to try to delete it and move on. I don't want to get hung up on one ship when there are so many others to work on.

That makes no sense; I had her working normally in my game! All that should need to be done is resizing the penn locators and converting the fal>rope locators and that's that! :shock

My install is dead. It got progressively worse until it would not start at all. Uninstalling this ship did not help, in fact it got worse.

I've made a new install and am starting over again. I'm afraid I won't be much help for a while.

Dammit. Just removing the "options" file and your savegames from your game folder should restore your install to original state though.

Removing the options file had no effect, but dumping the saves did. So now I have 2 installs that are as close to the same as I can get them except that one does not have the Castel. No problems so far to report, I have not seen it in game yet.

In my game, I do have the three CastelF ships and I encountered them too. No crashes so far.

I played a new game until I was able to purchase the Castel in a shipyard. It looks good sitting in the harbor. But the sails are messed up. Specifically rey_a1 and rey_a2, and they are beyond my abilities to repair. It also CTDs at every screen change.

Where does that messed up sail come from? In the original files, she doesn't have a sail there at all.

However, unfortunately I've been able to confirm that CTD upon every reload after the first one. So you get to sail her once for a little bit and then the game crashes on you when you continue.
To be absolutely sure, I've tried this with the original unmodified GM files from the opening post too and got the same problem again.
In other words: it appears there's something wrong with the GM files. Somehow. But the error logs again give no clue whatsoever on what's going on. :modding

Does anyone have her in CoAS yet? Can you confirm if she works properly there beyond the first reload to sea?
Just play around with her a bit and perform several reloads to check if she gives any problems after that.

Also a little issue I noticed with the model itself: The shields of the statues on the bow are single-sided.
This becomes apparent when you're standing on the bow in 1st person mode, because you can see the edges of the shields but not the insides of them, making it appear like the edges float in mid-air.
If possible, could you copy those shields and flip the normals on them so they appear from both sides?

And why is the mast3.gm file 2.16 MB while the almost-similar mast2.gm file is only 718 kB? Seems rather a big difference. :wacko:

Where does that messed up sail come from? In the original files, she doesn't have a sail there at all.

However, unfortunately I've been able to confirm that CTD upon every reload after the first one. So you get to sail her once for a little bit and then the game crashes on you when you continue.
To be absolutely sure, I've tried this with the original unmodified GM files from the opening post too and got the same problem again.
In other words: it appears there's something wrong with the GM files. Somehow. But the error logs again give no clue whatsoever on what's going on. :modding

Does anyone have her in CoAS yet? Can you confirm if she works properly there beyond the first reload to sea?
Just play around with her a bit and perform several reloads to check if she gives any problems after that.

Also a little issue I noticed with the model itself: The shields of the statues on the bow are single-sided.
This becomes apparent when you're standing on the bow in 1st person mode, because you can see the edges of the shields but not the insides of them, making it appear like the edges float in mid-air.
If possible, could you copy those shields and flip the normals on them so they appear from both sides?

And why is the mast3.gm file 2.16 MB while the almost-similar mast2.gm file is only 718 kB? Seems rather a big difference. :wacko:

Strange, really... I have here in COAS and she works perfectly. No problems with sails, no problems with entering/leaving the world map. I'll try to test her better and I'll write here if I find something.

I've been testing the brigantine in COAS for about an hour and a half. Sailed her, been in a fight on her, fought her as AI ship... She works great and there were not a single CTD. So the mistake was made in conversion to PotC. Or this mistake affects only the PotC due to engine differences. As for differences between mast2 and mast3, it can be that one of them doesn't have a BSP. The TOOL is a very capricious software and it sometimes refuses to read models exported with BSP flag checked. The export was made by pgargon and the source 3d max and Maya files are lost so I can't help you any more, unfortunately :(

Have you tried any reloads in CoAS from sea to worldmap and back? Does that work?

Generally ships that work in CoAS should work in PotC as well, so I'm rather confused.
The only conversion necessary is just to make the ropes and flags appear properly, but even if you don't do any conversion, the ship should still work. :modding

Yes, I've made at least ten reloads from sea to world map and back. Nothing happened. The same was with AI ships. No bugs were determined. If you have no other idea how to fix that, I can start to work on brigantine from the early unfinished 3d max file, I have at the moment. But that would take a lot of time because I'll have to finish the model, scale it again, adjust the game world position of the model and waterline or If I'll have no success in this I have to redo all the locators work.

I think Armada knows how to convert GM files back into Maya; maybe that could help?

Back