• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Blackwake - Dead Marque: Age of Sail Naval Multi-Player Game

1stPion_Paul

Landlubber
Hey guys, a little while back I came across this game. Basically it's a Wip Pirate game being created by one guy. I'm actually lucky enough to be part of the Alpha testing group which is pretty awesome. The creator aims to have the game Multiplayer based with 32-64 players and about 2-4 ships fighting at a time. Updates are almost daily and he is often posting Youtube updates.
Currently the game isn't being crowd funded , has no forums, and Isn't on greenlight but that will be changing very soon. From what I've heard so far I *think* the game is going to be free but don't quote me on that.

If you want to help out, I'm sure he'd love you to subscribe to his channel and share it to get the game out there!
Here's his Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5e2v_7oD2iXYoH9nIvbuw

Well, that's interesting. This guy appears to have similar intentions to our own Hearts of Oak project (though perhaps he could use some advice on proper ship construction; no offence :wp).

On a related note: anyone else wonder why, as soon as we decided to make our own pirate/sailing game, everyone and their mother had the same idea? xD
Not that I'm complaining, that is. It's almost like we're in the middle of a kind of renaissance for the genre, with several projects like these along with AC4 on the way.

People can say whatever they want; there IS interest in such a game done right.
But I doubt it is going to happen unless people work together instead of doing it all by themselves.
That is a difficult thing to do even when just modding an existing game.

Hey guys, one of my testers linked me to this thread so I thought I'd register to clear some stuff up :)

Well, that's interesting. This guy appears to have similar intentions to our own Hearts of Oak project (though perhaps he could use some advice on proper ship construction; no offence :wp).

On a related note: anyone else wonder why, as soon as we decided to make our own pirate/sailing game, everyone and their mother had the same idea? xD
Not that I'm complaining, that is. It's almost like we're in the middle of a kind of renaissance for the genre, with several projects like these along with AC4 on the way.
At your comment on ship construction, don't even get me started hahaha. The ship you see in my videos will be phased out, but its loosely based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship) and is only used for testing. I literally copied and pasted the sails from the old ship and I am not happy with it, but im much happier having it instead of the ship you see in my first video. Believe me, my inbox has been blowing up with ship enthusiasts nit-picking the ship's construction, I have to keep telling them to wait until I sit down and really crank a ship out (and keep in mind these ships are fully destructible) but I also haven't decided on the first official ship I'd like to recreate.

And as to your second comment, I have never heard of Hearts of Oak but it is very neat that pirates are becoming quite popular! I was actually inspired by the Garrysmod gamemode "Pirate ship wars" which has been around since 2007.

People can say whatever they want; there IS interest in such a game done right.
But I doubt it is going to happen unless people work together instead of doing it all by themselves.
That is a difficult thing to do even when just modding an existing game.
Of course! I'm not doing this alone to be greedy or selfish or anything of the sort, I plan to give the community most of the control. I've made games alone before and I've had a blank network framework that was game-ready built for a few months now. I only recently decided to adapt it to this style of game, which is why I was able to make the progress I did in such short time.

Our games are somewhat different in their goals, I definitely like some of the land-based content you're going for but I'm afraid I'm going to steer clear of it. I'm getting alot of messages about single player also, which I won't be doing. I'll be sure to send them your way, I wish you guys the best of luck!

Ahoy and welcome! :ahoy

At your comment on ship construction, don't even get me started hahaha. The ship you see in my videos will be phased out, but its loosely based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship) and is only used for testing. I literally copied and pasted the sails from the old ship and I am not happy with it, but im much happier having it instead of the ship you see in my first video. Believe me, my inbox has been blowing up with ship enthusiasts nit-picking the ship's construction, I have to keep telling them to wait until I sit down and really crank a ship out (and keep in mind these ships are fully destructible) but I also haven't decided on the first official ship I'd like to recreate.
To be fair, I did wonder whether you based your latest ship on the Vasa, so credit where it's due. :doff
Your destruction is great, but is it going to stay as it is with entire planks falling off? That kind of damage was deemed unrealistic when we discussed it for Hearts of Oak.

Our games are somewhat different in their goals, I definitely like some of the land-based content you're going for but I'm afraid I'm going to steer clear of it. I'm getting alot of messages about single player also, which I won't be doing. I'll be sure to send them your way, I wish you guys the best of luck!
That's understandable; if we end up with two great games in the long run, then it's all the better.
We can still assist you in other ways, though. We'd be happy to help publicise your game via our site and Facebook/Twitter pages, for instance.

And regarding ships, we have some very knowledgeable folks here who could offer some advice on the finer details of ship modelling, if you want.
Our own ships are often subject to the same kind of scrutiny, so we know how you feel. ;)

Indeed I do believe that we should all work together as much as possible.
Even if the result will be separate games, one multiplayer and one singleplayer, at least we make as good use of the resources available as it can be.
No point in several people trying to reinvent the wheel at the same time, no?
We can make separate wheels, but at least we'd all work together on making each one as round as possible. Right? :cheeky

Ahoy and welcome! :ahoy

To be fair, I did wonder whether you based your latest ship on the Vasa, so credit where it's due. :doff
Your destruction is great, but is it going to stay as it is with entire planks falling off? That kind of damage was deemed unrealistic when we discussed it for Hearts of Oak.
I've gotten alot of comments on that, and no it is not final. I've always intended to make the destruction radius much smaller but I haven't spent much time tweaking that. Its completely doable though (I try not to say anything I know I can't do, I don't want to be unrealistic hah)

That's understandable; if we end up with two great games in the long run, then it's all the better.
We can still assist you in other ways, though. We'd be happy to help publicise your game via our site and Facebook/Twitter pages, for instance.

And regarding ships, we have some very knowledgeable folks here who could offer some advice on the finer details of ship modelling, if you want.
Our own ships are often subject to the same kind of scrutiny, so we know how you feel. ;)
There is such a huge audience for single player and also for multiplayer, I find when developers try and succeed in both they usually fail (or the single player turns out to be a short and boring mess). I believe one of my testers said HOK was going to be single player/co-op?

Any publicity I would greatly appreciate :) I'll have a forum set up in a few days strictly for questions/suggestions and keeping track of testing, so any questions I get regarding single player or a more RPG-like experience, I'll be sure to let them know about this project (I'm surprised I didn't even know about it)

Actually the amount of testers I stirred up from the last video have already proven extremely knowledgeable, I'm now constantly consulting one of my testers through the development of my next ship :) This is a neat community though, I'll have to see what they think!

Indeed I do believe that we should all work together as much as possible.
Even if the result will be separate games, one multiplayer and one singleplayer, at least we make as good use of the resources available as it can be.
No point in several people trying to reinvent the wheel at the same time, no?
We can make separate wheels, but at least we'd all work together on making each one as round as possible. Right? :cheeky
Absolutely, theres no reason the communities we're creating can't exist together. Players will have an easy time bouncing between our games depending on how they're feeling. I know 64 player PvP can get tiring and sometimes you want to do some quests or follow a story.

There is such a huge audience for single player and also for multiplayer, I find when developers try and succeed in both they usually fail (or the single player turns out to be a short and boring mess). I believe one of my testers said HOK was going to be single player/co-op?
Hearts of Oak is primarily going to be a single-player experience, though we'd like to include a few co-op/competitive multiplayer modes. Nothing like an MMO, though.
That part has always been absent from our mods, and people certainly have an interest in finding out who is the best captain out there. :duel:

Just a new update! The name of the game has been changed, there is now a new ship in development (HMS Vanguard) and a very basic player model in dev!
Here is the new update video:

Originally saw the new title of this thread and thought "OH GOD, another one??!", before realising it had been renamed. xD

Glad to hear about the dedicated website. :onya

Heres some of the progress on the newest ship I've been slaving over. Still alot of work to do but theres a light at the end of the tunnel

mljlgk.jpg

Pretty sure the bow should not curve round like that. Take a look at some photos of HMS Victory's bow for reference.
Otherwise, very well detailed.

It did, just not at the top like I have it. The Victory's was almost entirely flat while the Vanguard wasn't (this is the Vanguard)

I'm currently doing the last wave of edits section by section, when I get back to the bow ill fix that. I figured the extremely bland detail on the bowspirit showed I haven't worked on that area in a while :p

Back