• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Blackwake - Dead Marque: Age of Sail Naval Multi-Player Game

OK, which HMS Vanguard is this meant to be? I'm assuming it's the one launched in 1787 that was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of the Nile, and THAT one I'm pretty sure would have had a similar bow to the Victory, hence why I referenced it. If it's a different one, disregard my comments.

OK, which HMS Vanguard is this meant to be? I'm assuming it's the one launched in 1787 that was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of the Nile, and THAT one I'm pretty sure would have had a similar bow to the Victory, hence why I referenced it. If it's a different one, disregard my comments.
It does have a similar bow to the Victory, its just a smaller portion is flat (less decks) There is some curve in both but its pretty much non existent on the Victory

I have to agree with Armada, then. It should have a beakhead bow, which the original plans of the vessel, and various models indicate. (unfortunately the only plan I could find at the moment was low-res, but it showed the beakhead clearly enough. (That's the part of the bow above the bowsprit.) The rig proportions could also be improved a bit by resizing the rig according to the rigging plan of any 74 gun from around that era. They look a tiny bit off at the moment. The ropes on the fife rails are a bit of a mess; they should look just like you have the pinrails, which are perfectly done.

I have to agree with Armada, then. It should have a beakhead bow
:
I'm currently doing the last wave of edits section by section, when I get back to the bow ill fix that. I figured the extremely bland detail on the bowspirit showed I haven't worked on that area in a while :p

Either way I'm not making a real life simulator that's 1:1. Most players won't even appreciate it because not everyone is a die-hard ship fanatic that is aware of the slightest thing being off. So considering you're a rigging expert..... haha

In the end detail will never make or break a game, its the experience everything put together creates. This is why BF and COD are sadly more popular than Arma and Red Orchestra

With that said I am still trying to get it as close as I conveniently can without sinking too much time in any one area

That's fair. There are a few people, such as myself, who do know (exactly) what ships look like, and find a round bow as opposed to a beakhead a huge deal, but in the end it all depends on what type of game you're making.

Sorry if I sounded too negative in my comments. I just figured that, since you've put so much effort into making the deck look extremely well detailed, I thought you were planning on doing the same for the rest of the ship. Whatever floats your boat, excuse the pun. :doff

Sorry if I sounded too negative in my comments. I just figured that, since you've put so much effort into making the deck look extremely well detailed, I thought you were planning on doing the same for the rest of the ship. Whatever floats your boat, excuse the pun. :doff
Consistency is always good :D I buffed up the rest of the ship but im going to stop for now and go back to programming for a while

That looks pretty fun! I'm impressed with how it's all working so far.
Quite hilarious that many of the guys in the video weren't looking where the enemy ship was when they were firing the cannons. xD

So you've got each player controlling a separate character, with some loading the cannons, some controlling the wheel and one telling them what to do?
Interesting indeed. :cheers

BTW: Frell, I added you to the News Gatherers, so that you can create a new thread here when you've got news to post:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/pirates-ahoy-news.69/
That will make it show up on the PiratesAhoy! Main page too. Should give you some additional coverage.

Do you have a Facebook profile? If so, I can set you up to allow you to post to the PA! page as well for more exposure.
That'll get copied onto our Twitter feed too. Might help you out a bit, I hope.

So you've got each player controlling a separate character, with some loading the cannons, some controlling the wheel and one telling them what to do?
Interesting indeed. :cheers

BTW: Frell, I added you to the News Gatherers, so that you can create a new thread here when you've got news to post:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/pirates-ahoy-news.69/
That will make it show up on the PiratesAhoy! Main page too. Should give you some additional coverage.

Do you have a Facebook profile? If so, I can set you up to allow you to post to the PA! page as well for more exposure.
That'll get copied onto our Twitter feed too. Might help you out a bit, I hope.
For right now those are the only things to do (boarding isn't easy just yet) but yes it was really interesting, the roles aren't even set or forced. I let them play and they organized themselves :)

REALLY appreciate the News rank. How should I use this? Make a single thread and keep updating it or every time there is a major update post a new thread?

I'd post the gameplay video above there but I don't want to knock SoS off the top just yet because they're attempting a Kickstarter, would be rude :p

I don't have a Facebook page at the moment no, I will let you know when I get one setup

Thanks again

REALLY appreciate the News rank. How should I use this? Make a single thread and keep updating it or every time there is a major update post a new thread?
The first post of the thread goes onto the main page, so you need a new thread every time you've got something worthwhile to post.
If there end up being a lot of them, we can also add a "Blackwake" category, which would allow people to find them all together on one page again for a overview.

Cool! VERY cool! :cheers

Two questions though:
- Are you still going to change the animation where you put the wad into the cannon itself?
- What are the largest waves you can have in this game? Those rough seas still look very modest.

Cool! VERY cool! :cheers

Two questions though:
- Are you still going to change the animation where you put the wad into the cannon itself?
- What are the largest waves you can have in this game? Those rough seas still look very modest.
Im still thinking about how I want to do the animation. For now this works, since I'm a once man team the development time of getting a little detail like that wouldn't be worth the impact it has on gameplay. I want to stay away from animations that freeze and or force-align your character since the game is very heavy on the multiplayer end.

No not at all, the current shader I'm using is limited it severity because it uses a pro-only feature I believe. I'm eyeing a high quality $400 water plugin for Unity, but of course I'll need donations before I can get it. But this is not the final water by no means

Im still thinking about how I want to do the animation. For now this works, since I'm a once man team the development time of getting a little detail like that wouldn't be worth the impact it has on gameplay. I want to stay away from animations that freeze and or force-align your character since the game is very heavy on the multiplayer end.
Of course its present state is quite understandable. You already manage an INCREDIBLE amount of work by yourself!

No not at all, the current shader I'm using is limited it severity because it uses a pro-only feature I believe. I'm eyeing a high quality $400 water plugin for Unity, but of course I'll need donations before I can get it. But this is not the final water by no means
Sounds good. I figure rendering actual big waves convincingly is probably one of the hardest parts of ocean rendering.
Smooth water is one thing, but a storm is much more difficult.

Sounds good. I figure rendering actual big waves convincingly is probably one of the hardest parts of ocean rendering.
Smooth water is one thing, but a storm is much more difficult.
Yea that is true, most of the time with cheap shaders you'll find something that moves convincingly but doesn't look real or vice versa, finding one with both is hard, and rarely cheap

Back