• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

Well this is discouraging. Not much of an improvement.
dunno.gif
I was working on the cabin skeletons. It looked so good till I tweaked the colors. Maybe I should tweak them back. Idk what do you think?

Before:

[attachment=7463:Fullscreen capture 1172011 34634 AM.jpg]

After:

[attachment=7464:Fullscreen capture 1172011 34552 AM.jpg]
Hello LS! :keith :doff Second is better than previous one. :onya

The "After" version definitely looks clearer! The colours are a bit brighter than before though; not sure if that's intentional...?

At the moment I've got the QAR working in my game version that will become Patch 7; all you need to upload is any files you change after you posted her on the ModDB.
I wouldn't expect the name plate to become readable by increasing the resolution, since it's still just too small. You might as well not bother trying to upgrade the resolution there.
The one thing I do think could benefit from a higher resolution (in addition to the Black Pearl patched sails) is the two big doors on the QAR that you can see in your latest screenshot as well.

Extra damage looks good to me, Bonjourmonami! :onya

Hey Pieter, I know it won't be included in the patch, but could you advertise my music pack when this all comes out, as an optional download? Any fan of the PotC films would be interested in that I think.
Based on my sampling of your pack, you did a very nice job indeed. I especially like the unreleased music inclusion; that should give people something new to listen to!
When we release Patch 7, we can mention your music pack in the release News post.

Here's the extra damage, what d'ya think?
I like it! Definitely authentic and adds to the overall image of the ship. :onya

Well this is discouraging. Not much of an improvement.
dunno.gif
I was working on the cabin skeletons. It looked so good till I tweaked the colors. Maybe I should tweak them back. Idk what do you think?
Actually, I agree with Pieter: I prefer the second version, because it's much clearer. Maybe just darken it slightly and it would look more accurate.

Hear is the walk.c file for the Queen Anns Revenge.
QueenAnnesRevenge_walk.c
Brilliant! I've got your walk file working beautifully for her now in my game! :bow
So now I just need to modify it for the Pearl, right? That shouldn't take too long.

Ok I did the cabin skeletons again and I think I'm happier with this result. What do you think?

[attachment=7469:Fullscreen capture 1172011 23109 PM.jpg]

I think sometime in the future, those skeletons on the top cabin holding the torches should be modeled. They look a little odd in 2D, and in 2D I eliminate the torches just because it looks so odd.

Definitely keeping those. They look really good in-game.
me.gif

I'm sure glad I don't have to re-do ALL the textures, some, like the grime on the QAR, don't need to be re-done.
keith.gif

Here's that carving on the stern of the Pearl in high-res. Looks MUCH better.
me.gif
I need to fix the top part of it. Didn't quite line up the way I wanted.

[attachment=7478:Fullscreen capture 1192011 21651 PM.jpg]

Armada and Pieter seem to have disappeared . . .

I'm right here; nice job, Legendary Spider! :woot

As for that walk file, don't you play CoAS? That file is for PotC.

Sorry, I was busy sorting out all my stuff for Patch 7. Anyway, that does look impressive! Excellent! :keith

Good job on the carving LS, do you think you should add a bit of the black pearl texture mostly transparent on top so they're more alike

Good job on the carving LS, do you think you should add a bit of the black pearl texture mostly transparent on top so they're more alike

On top of what?

Well I'm not done yet. All the stern detail will look tons better when I'm done. I've been looking at does and what doesn't need to be re-done. Give the QAR the Pearl's high-res planking isn't as easy as I thought due to the multi-colored hull.

I've been working on some compiling work today, so it'll probably be tomorrow or the day after. I'm not in that much of a hurry, but do want to release something that sort-of works.
If not everything is included, that's not too bad; the main thing is that Patch 7 works for testing and Beta 2 must work properly as well AND have as much content as we can manage.

Bonjourmonami, would you at all be interested in making lion head gunports for the Flying Dutchman as captained by Will Turner?
The ship model we've got, the texture we've got, Armada can remove the skeleton from the bow, but the one thing he can't do easily is to change the cursed look of the gunports...

I've been working on some compiling work today, so it'll probably be tomorrow or the day after. I'm not in that much of a hurry, but do want to release something that sort-of works.
If not everything is included, that's not too bad; the main thing is that Patch 7 works for testing and Beta 2 must work properly as well AND have as much content as we can manage.

Alright, I'll bundle up the QAR as I have her now for tomorrow, and if I don't get the Pearl's stern done by tomorrow, I'll just bundle her up as I released her on page 33 of this thread.

Bonjourmonami, would you at all be interested in making lion head gunports for the Flying Dutchman as captained by Will Turner?
The ship model we've got, the texture we've got, Armada can remove the skeleton from the bow, but the one thing he can't do easily is to change the cursed look of the gunports...

I also think the un-cursed Dutchman needs a new sail texture. The current model's kinda look like cardboard.
But I haven't seen the sails for the one Armada has been working on, are they better?

I noticed from screenshots, that the un-cursed Dutchman's sails still have a seaweed appearance, but white instead of green.

830px-Jesus_048.jpg

Armada didn't redo the sails on her, so she still uses the same as before.

I also think the un-cursed Dutchman needs a new sail texture. The current model's kinda look like cardboard.
But I haven't seen the sails for the one Armada has been working on, are they better?

I noticed from screenshots, that the un-cursed Dutchman's sails still have a seaweed appearance, but white instead of green.
I'm way ahead of you. I believe this old screenie will illustrate my efforts: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/images/uncursed-flying-dutchman#imagebox

That reminds me; Pieter, here's some sails for Patch 7: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced%20Captain/Sails_Patch7.7z
Includes the Dutchman sail texture from that screenshot, plus a few others that were enhanced using bump-mapping.
I knew I'd forget something else. :cheeky

Cheers, mate!

Weren't the purewhite common and plain sails supposed to have the horizontal stripe on the one, but not the other?
That way, half the sails on a purewhite ship would get the stripe and half not. I think it was like that in a gray and distant past, but apparently no more for quite some time already.
"Plain" ends up on the sails that would otherwise get an emblem and "Common" ends up on the others.
So probably "plain" should have the stripe and "common" should not. Will probably require some sorting out for custom-sailed ships in ships_init.c too.

Back