• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

From what I recall, the original patched sails by Kazeite always looked fine to me, but the ones on that screenshot look a bit blurry to my eyes. :shrug

It's a new one. Made by FKWOLF555 to better match the films. I modified his design slightly and took out the vertical lines.

Armada said something about resolution a while back, but it went over my head.
dunno.gif
Is it really that hard to change the image size in Photoshop? :? The larger the image size, the larger the resolution... and 2048x2048 pixels is the absolute limit for the Storm Engine.
Resolution is just how much of an image your eye can actually recognise, so essentially it's the same as image quality.

The one problem I noticed with your hull textures for the Pearl and Revenge is that they're still only 1024x1024 pixels in size.
I'm sure I mentioned that you could increase the size to 2048x2048, which gives the image four times as many pixels.
That gives you the potential to make the image look sharper, but only if you redo some parts of it. I thought you did that, but perhaps not.
Having said that, I'm NOT suggesting you go back and redo the textures again, because they're still perfectly fine as they are.

How big are the sail textures, going by the number of pixels? The biggest we tend to use is 512x512, because anything bigger is unnecessary.
All Pieter was saying is that the sails look like they aren't as clear as they could be, but that might be the screenshot making them look less detailed.

I think I get it now. I guess I'll start going through and re-doing what looks like it needs re-doing.

Of course, knowing me I'll never be able to sleep through the night until I re-do it ALL.

The sails are 512. I checked.

From what I recall, the original patched sails by Kazeite always looked fine to me, but the ones on that screenshot look a bit blurry to my eyes. :shrug

Those ones were off in color and the patches didn't look like the ones in the films. That's why FKWOLF555 decided to make new ones. Lemme see what I can do with them.

Ugh. I'll never be done with these ships.
urgh.gif

Yup. There's definite improvement. Thankfully it shouldn't take too long to re-do both ships since I know exactly what to do now.
keith.gif

Since I'm starting over, Imma go ahead and give the QAR the improved planking that I gave the Pearl.

I just wanted to say that I've been working on the Pearl's railings, I've made a set of railings that have proper spirals on them. I think they might make the ship a bit poly high but I'll post a pic of them later. Just in case you're interested.

I just wanted to say that I've been working on the Pearl's railings, I've made a set of railings that have proper spirals on them. I think they might make the ship a bit poly high but I'll post a pic of them later. Just in case you're interested.

Duh! Of course I'm interested!
william.gif

Armada and Pieter got my wheels turning and created a monster, so now the RE-texturing of both ships had begun and is in fact yielding pleasant results.
me.gif

See?

[attachment=7458:Fullscreen capture 1162011 13455 AM.jpg]

You can see the old planking on the hull around the cabin windows, whereas the rest of the ship has the new high-res planking and there's definitely a noticeable difference.

Just remind me to smack Armada after I'm done, for putting me through this twice. lol
slap.gif
2048 right? Because that's what I'm doing the textures in.

This is hilarious; look what I found? http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61183
Somebody went to make the Wicked Wench in LEGO. Guess what colour scheme he used?
It seems that Kazeite's original colour scheme has somehow become the "official look" for the Wicked Wench! :rofl
That's probably because Bonjourmonami's used that colour scheme for his ship plans as well:
http://bonjourmonami.deviantart.com/art/The-Wicked-Wench-plans-78285242

I think this is supposed to be the real official colour scheme as per Disney:
http://gargles.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/wickedwenchpapercraft.jpg

I think if we do get a new Wicked Wench, we should probably use our original colour scheme and not the Disney one.
That Disney scheme seems to be based very much on the ship in the PotC ride, which is a nice enough look,
but that never was intended to be the Wicked Wench until they decided to call her that. Or something. :wacko:

Here's a pic of me new BP spiral, there is an undamaged set but I was working on the damaged ones so that's the pic I took. The upper set runs along to rail up to the lanterns.
They aren't part of the hull and they have their own texture.
The pic also features an extra bit of damage I would like to add, seeing as her forcastle deck seems to get a pounding in every engagement.

black_pearl_new_spirals_by_bonjourmonami-d4fa0rg.jpg

I forgot; is there a ship walk file for the new Black Pearl? I don't really want to include the new one if she doesn't have crew while the old one did.
I'm not too fussed about the Queen Anne's Revenge since she's a new ship to begin with.

You can see the old planking on the hull around the cabin windows, whereas the rest of the ship has the new high-res planking and there's definitely a noticeable difference.

Just remind me to smack Armada after I'm done, for putting me through this twice. lol
slap.gif
2048 right? Because that's what I'm doing the textures in.
Yes, it does look better now, but I did NOT force you into this at all, remember? I should be smacking you, really. :razz

This is hilarious; look what I found? http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=61183
Somebody went to make the Wicked Wench in LEGO. Guess what colour scheme he used?
It seems that Kazeite's original colour scheme has somehow become the "official look" for the Wicked Wench! :rofl
That's probably because Bonjourmonami's used that colour scheme for his ship plans as well:
http://bonjourmonami...-plans-78285242

I think this is supposed to be the real official colour scheme as per Disney:
http://gargles.net/w...hpapercraft.jpg
LOL! It seems our colour scheme has found accidental fame! xD:
It's not surprising though; a quick search of 'Wicked Wench' on Google Images shows (among images of the real ship) a screenshot from our game,
plus Bonjourmonami's plans, within the first few results.
I do agree that we should stick to our original colour scheme, because it seems to fit the ship well (and has become somewhat recognisable).

Here's a pic of me new BP spiral, there is an undamaged set but I was working on the damaged ones so that's the pic I took. The upper set runs along to rail up to the lanterns.
I can't see a huge amount of difference from that screenshot, because the image looks a little too dark on my screen.
Could you show a wireframe shot of the spiral instead? That would make what you have changed much clearer.

EDIT: @Pieter, no there isn't a walk file currently, but Craiggo is making one for the Revenge, I believe.
I can modify his file for the Pearl too, once it's done.

I vaguely recall seeing a walk file for the QAR floating around somewhere, or was I imagining that? Wasn't there a new walk file for a ship somewhere at some point? :wacko:

I vaguely recall seeing a walk file for the QAR floating around somewhere, or was I imagining that? Wasn't there a new walk file for a ship somewhere at some point? :wacko:
That was probably for the new English galleon Revenge, not the Queen Anne's Revenge. It's easy to mistake the two, I know. :wp

AH! Indeed, it must've been! :rofl

In any case, I got the Queen Anne's Revenge working nicely in my game now; good job to all involved! :woot
I can't actually read her name on the stern though, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise; that seems to always be the story every time somebody bothers to put a name on a stern. :facepalm

One question: is it correct she has only the one ensign in her mast? Does that mast have "penn" locators to match or not?
I tried to check myself using the TOOL, but "model could not be read".
Technically she wouldn't even need those locators if we add a NoPennants line to her ships_init.c entry. :shrug

Also, is she really supposed to not have any sails between the bowsprit and the forward mast?
Or not even any ropes running between the two? Admittedly I am no authority on historical accuracy, but it seems rather unnatural to me.

Also, is she really supposed to not have any sails between the bowsprit and the forward mast?
Or not even any ropes running between the two? Admittedly I am no authority on historical accuracy, but it seems rather unnatural to me.
According to the movie: indeed apparently she DOESN'T have any sails there.
I always knew the design of the Queen Anne's Revenge was misguided at best, but it didn't occur to me yet quite to what extent. Well, it sure struck home now! :shock
Looks like even the people at LEGO decided that really those types of ships DO look better with at least one jib:
4195-1.jpg

To be fair, I'm probably more familiar with the look of the LEGO model than the look of the actual ship.

I can't actually read her name on the stern though, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise; that seems to always be the story every time somebody bothers to put a name on a stern. :facepalm
Well Mr Legendary_Detail would no doubt complain if the nameplate were not there. :rolleyes: It looks good enough to get the point across, anyway.
I think the only really legible nameplate I've seen is the one I put on the unique Victory, just because it's so big.

One question: is it correct she has only the one ensign in her mast? Does that mast have "penn" locators to match or not?
I tried to check myself using the TOOL, but "model could not be read".
Technically she wouldn't even need those locators if we add a NoPennants line to her ships_init.c entry. :shrug
Yes she's only meant to have the one ensign (technically on her bowsprit mast).
I just checked for the penn locators using the HEX editor (which is a very neat trick, by the way), and indeed they're not present.
Looks like both ships will need the NoPennants line.

According to the movie: indeed apparently she DOESN'T have any sails there.
I always knew the design of the Queen Anne's Revenge was misguided at best, but it didn't occur to me yet quite to what extent. Well, it sure struck home now! :shock
Looks like even the people at LEGO decided that really those types of ships DO look better with at least one jib
I just knew you'd bring up the LEGO ship! xD:
Yes, it seems there's no jib sail, but there should be ropes between the bowsprit and foremast, though.

As an aside about LEGO ships, I just thought I'd share what I found here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/249598
It's an unbelievably detailed - and accurate - custom model of what appears to be a fictional French 36-gun frigate.
Now imagine if LEGO themselves were this accurate with their ships! It puts their Pearl and QAR to shame.

I think if we do get a new Wicked Wench, we should probably use our original colour scheme and not the Disney one.
That Disney scheme seems to be based very much on the ship in the PotC ride, which is a nice enough look,
but that never was intended to be the Wicked Wench until they decided to call her that. Or something. :wacko:

The one on the ride has always been called Wicked Wench ever since it was first built. The name in PotC lore is obviously one of the many ride references.

Then someone better make me UV maps for the damaged and undamaged.

Yes, it does look better now, but I did NOT force you into this at all, remember? I should be smacking you, really. :razz

Oh please, you know I'm a perfectionist. You can't plant that seed in my mind and expect nothing to happen. lol
slap.gif

Well I'm hoping it will look better in high res.
rolleyes.gif

That's what I said, but everyone else said it looks good like it is.
rolleyes.gif
In the film, she doesn't have any stays between her main and foremasts, but everyone decided to leave those.
user_comment.gif

Well Mr Legendary_Detail would no doubt complain if the nameplate were not there. :rolleyes: It looks good enough to get the point across, anyway.
I think the only really legible nameplate I've seen is the one I put on the unique Victory, just because it's so big.

Me? Complain? Would I do that?
icon_mrgreen1.gif
lol

Here's a plain untextured pic of my spirals you asked for. Instead of just having an octogan, it is an actual spiral, that's why I said it maid be a bit big poly wise.
black_pearl_new_spirals_2_by_bonjourmonami-d4fbkmh.jpg

I have already mapped them so I shouldn't think that'll be a problem.

Here's a plain untextured pic of my spirals you asked for. Instead of just having an octogan, it is an actual spiral, that's why I said it maid be a bit big poly wise.
Ah, now I see what you did. That does look better, and shouldn't have much of an impact on the poly count, I'd imagine.

Back