• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

B14v22 troubles

Update: I tried downloading "Build 14 Part 1: Installation Wizard" and "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" again and running an install with the freshly downloaded files. The Installation Wizard reported that "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" was corrupt! This corruption must have happened relatively recently if nobody else has reported problems installing.

"Build 14 Part 1: Installation Wizard" is fine; when I ran the newly-downloaded copy while using the "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" which I'd downloaded ages ago, it worked. "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" should not have changed since 2016.

So I've re-uploaded my good "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" to ModDB. It didn't show up for a day; they always want to approve new uploads before publishing them. When it did appear, I downloaded it again just to be sure. "Build 14 Part 1: Installation Wizard" then accepted this download and successfully installed Build 14.

@CoastGuard71: try installing Build 14 again now. Use the links from:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 12th January 2024]

The 2022 installer includes an Intel fix which you can choose while running "Build 14 Part 1: Installation Wizard".

I had a lot of trouble installing for two weeks or more ,almost driving me crazy. Nice to know it wasen't me going crazy.:napoleon

Hi, thanks for the hints... of course I know everyone, including myself, are here for the fun and solving programming issues for the pleasure of solving problems to make a good gaming concept work. Problem is the code is too big to not prevent crosstalk and all the attempts to alter code has left instability in what was a small game. For instance I'm now playing 2018 game and suddenly my ship is not responding to helm commands... anyone know why? Another example of the instability of this oversized code bundle. No diagnostic leaves me with a game that is unplayable. What can I do? delete and spend hours downloading all over again... what a waste of time!( Anyone had this happen? Is there a fix for this... players need a trouble shooting forum since as a community of worldwide players we are doing the Beta Testing revealing problems and it's up to the professional C coders to know what is going on and how to fix the corruption causing it to happen. Most players are not C coders and haven't a clue how to find and fix problems. I'm FORTRAN and know the programming structure in common, but don't know C well enough to find and correct what gets corrupted. Recently had a Dx8 failure while booting game... using the error message I understood the Dx8 had been corrupted so I downloaded another Dx8 over the bad and restored the game... what corrupted the Dx8? Yet another example of the instability in this code? What can be done to make this self-correcting?

I've installed games on SSD/HDs as well as USBs... doesn't seem to make a difference in game stability.

I appreciate your information of your experience and workarounds and, of course, I will try them to see if my problems will go away. Part may be my Lenovo T61 may not be up to handling this complex a program. I bought a newer T540P with Win10 (not activated) the seller said was "fully functional", but I found while using was not! Also, since it was not the Pro version it was not Legacy capable since this was Win7Pro activated... bummer! When I ran B14v22 it was fantastic! Great graphics, no problems, a joy to play... then it stopped working due to the activation issue. I've bought a W10Pro CD, will install and then do a legacy activation, hope it works!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

This has gotten quite troublesome but I will attempt to help. I will say right now that I have not read through all the posts spread out over the various threads as doing so doesn't seem like it would help anyway. I'm not a core developer of the Build Mod so I wouldn't be able to address issues with things which I am not familiar.

This is a documentation of how I just now installed and got Build 14 to work from scratch on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. This is regardless if everyone is already familiar with the process as it is merely a description of the steps I took. I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, and this is important to note because even though there are workarounds, the game will not work properly or at all with Intel graphics chips.
Furthermore, it is also important to note that I have capped the FPS to 60 for the game in the NVIDIA control panel. Limiting the FPS to 60 helps to prevent the game from crashing.

First I used my original CDs to install the game to D:\Pirates of the Caribbean\. In my case it is the UK version.
To avoid problems, do not install the game to any of the Program Files directories.
After the installation, I created a new folder in the root of D:\ and named it build14testcheck and moved the entire Pirates of the Caribbean folder in there.

Then I created a new folder on the desktop and named it also build14testcheck and created a pa and a moddb folder inside it.
I then downloaded b14_installer.exe from PiratesAhoy! and placed it in the pa folder, and then downloaded the same file from ModDB and placed it in the moddb folder.
After that I downloaded b14_beta4_final.tar and placed it in the parent build14testcheck directory on the desktop.
Finally, I downloaded post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip and placed it also in the parent build14testcheck directory on the desktop.

Now with all files downloaded, I looked at the checksums of all four files and found that the two b14_installer.exe files are identical. This can be done by opening a command prompt in the directory and using CertUtil.
Here are the commands and resulting checksums for b14_installer.exe, b14_beta4_final.tar, and post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip:
Code:
CertUtil -hashfile b14_installer.exe MD5
8e e9 5d ca de 03 fa 29 f8 f8 ac ae fb 68 99 5a

CertUtil -hashfile b14_installer.exe SHA1
67 59 03 14 cc 66 12 0c 13 03 19 ab a7 04 cf 5b ed 74 cf e2

CertUtil -hashfile b14_installer.exe SHA256
ae eb b0 ac a9 89 ad 34 68 66 07 74 81 ba 88 c1 b3 de 66 89 cb 36 7f 27 53 1d ec 9d 49 58 7f 5d

CertUtil -hashfile b14_beta4_final.tar MD5
99 6a ce b4 d7 af 4f 48 ed 4f a2 31 1a 11 83 5e

CertUtil -hashfile b14_beta4_final.tar SHA1
30 b3 fa 79 ca ae 87 6b 58 d7 a0 fd 53 fb 0d f7 eb b3 c8 b3

CertUtil -hashfile b14_beta4_final.tar SHA256
c0 6f 66 2d c7 67 b4 b7 a8 0f 2d 60 fc 7e 00 d9 95 c2 b7 5e d1 9e 9f 07 dc 6c 8b 32 c2 87 78 da

CertUtil -hashfile post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip MD5
72 6b 04 14 a3 87 46 a8 c4 cb df 01 cc a9 24 da

CertUtil -hashfile post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip SHA1
41 6e 23 1c 83 ea 72 bc 6b ff bb 05 a4 e5 6a ff d4 13 27 21

CertUtil -hashfile post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip SHA256
2b 43 6d 04 b6 95 f9 44 ce b9 2c 98 58 73 af a8 d0 7c 46 98 22 02 35 34 33 d2 9d 00 ba d7 36 ec

I now moved the b14_installer.exe from the pa folder to the parent build14testcheck directory on the desktop so that b14_installer.exe and b14_beta4_final.tar would be in the same directory, and then I ran the installer.
In the installer, I selected to install only the "Main Files" and "UPDATE Files", no other files. I selected the install directory to be D:\build14testcheck\Pirates of the Caribbean\.
After that was done, I extracted the post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip file to its parent build14testcheck directory on the desktop, and then moved the entire contents to D:\build14testcheck\Pirates of the Caribbean\, overwriting everything when prompted.

I then opened engine.ini to change the resolution to my liking, and then started the game.
In the game I went to "Options" and changed things to my liking, and then started a new free play game and sailed around for a bit, and did not encounter any errors and no error log was generated.

So, in my case, using my original game CDs and downloading and using the provided mod files, I was able to install and play Build 14 without encountering any problems. It would thus seem that there is no problem with the integrity of the provided files, and that any fault in installing and playing Build 14 is not because of them.
Hi Mate, I'm discussing with you since you seem to be the only person with the tech knowledge and skills to provide help. Finally got working W10Pro and running B14v22 on a USB with fantastic detail and color in graphics... W10 uses Dx12, much better than the Dx8 originally in the game code. However, a previously described bug continues... sinking a ship causes screen freeze which cannot be recovered without doing a reboot. Very frustrating. I suspect a save overflow crash... any ideas? Has no one else had this happen? I'm using a Lenovo T510 and W10Pro to run the original B14v22 download. Could the corruption Grey Roger reported be the cause? I should reinstall using what codes in what order to see if that fixes this problem... what's your advice?

BTW... the first W10 had a user interface emulating W7,,, a LOT easier to use than the I-Phone oriented interface of W10... any idea how to install this on the new W10Pro... sure makes using a computer a lot easier... Thanks :)

Last edited:
I'm not a developer of the Build Mod so I wouldn't really be involved in decisions about it. I've contributed to it here and there, but I don't play it, so I have no real opinion on what is or isn't included in it. However, I asked B14 developers about separating content, such as storylines, and while that could have benefits such as using less drive space and making the code lighter, the content and code are too intertwined at this point so that separating it wouldn't be feasible. As such no B14 developer would be interested in doing it. It also seems that most players prefer to have everything included for easier installation.

Unfortunately, according to B14 developers saving while boarding doesn't work, because if done and when loading the save file, the player is returned to sailing view as if the boarding never happened. Likewise saving while sailing also has its issues and is thus not enabled.

The files as described by @Grey Roger and @AkrimalS are in fact the correct ones. The issues with ModDB should hopefully be resolved now, but if they persist, here are mirrors:

You could try to reinstall with the files from these links, and installation is thus to first install the original unmodded game to a location other than any Program Files directory. Then, have b14_installer.exe and b14_beta4_final.tar in the same location, such as on the desktop, and run the installer and point it to where the unmodded game is installed. If you are using an Intel graphics chip, select that the Intel graphics fix will be installed. Then finally, extract post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip and place the contents in the installation directory and replace the files.

If the files are checksum verified to be correct and still don't work, such as the installer rejecting the TAR file or other problem, then a hardware and/or software issue is likely the cause. If the game can be installed but still has problems, does your new computer have both Intel graphics and NVIDIA graphics, by any chance?

No one has seemingly reported problems with Build 15 and Intel graphics chips, but that might be because no one has tried to run it with an Intel graphics chip. In that case the only thing that can be done is to try and see if it works.

Regarding Windows, I'm also disappointed with the interface and several features since Windows 8, so for making it more usable I suggest a start menu replacement. There are free and paid options, but I prefer StartIsBack (specifically StartIsBack++ for Windows 10) since it supposedly reenables native code without adding additional layers on top.

It is paid software, but in my opinion it is the best start menu replacement and is well worth the fairly low price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, appreciate your taking the time to provide such guidance. When Grey Roger affirmed the install was corrupted and posted the correct code on a new platform I downloaded and installed it on the W10Pro T510 with satisfactory results. Play was remarkably better with the Dx12 and I do believe Nvidia has been added for game players. Seems while poking about I saw a reference to Nvidia... which probably explains the incredibly improved graphics! Unlike Windows, business oriented, not recreation, However, as said, a bug persists with sinking a ship crashes the game since v17,,, since you are not a participant I understand your lack of interest in correcting this issue, I can't understand why those C coders who do play have tolerated this issue for so long? Is no one else having this trouble? For this grievous a fault to persist to v22 is incredible! This issue drives me crazy and frustrates me since I have no idea how to get into the code, what to look for, and how to restore it to the earlier versions where this did not happen. Somebody changed something to cause this problem, Whoevers that did the v17 revision know what they changed to cause this, and lack of Beta-testing prior to release did not reveal the error so it could be undone at that time.

I understand the reluctance of the unpaid coders to go to the trouble of separating out those two specific story lines. Would be a very interesting challenge for a coder that enjoys working with code, such as myself, to separate out the common play elements. which I agree is the bulk of the game, so to simplify the logic flow, which programs are based on, so less complexity makes for fewer dead-ended threads such as the ship sinking crashes the logic flow. Perhaps if a tally of users is kept for each scenario was gathered those which are the most popular could be special-cased for separating into subprogram drop-ins. Perhaps the B15 developers could consider this format? So much easier to work on concise code programs than bulky Windows style bloatware.

This kind of troubleshooting is fun for those who like problem solving, too bad no one seems to have that penchant.

"Unfortunately, according to B14 developers saving while boarding doesn't work, because if done and when loading the save file, the player is returned to sailing view as if the boarding never happened. Likewise saving while sailing also has its issues and is thus not enabled.":

A properly constructed logic diagram would have revealed this illogical fault... too bad since so many crashes occur in scene transitions leaving
the player with wasted time and frustration having to reload the whole scenario from the save prior to engagement. I hope the B15 developers have taken this into consideration, makes no sense as is.

BTW: Thanks for the info on that user interface, I will be investigating that, since it seems to describe exactly what I need... the W10 interface is totally useless, in my opinion... and why so many users are still using W7.

StartIsBack gives this result:

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>YKVAEZ57RE6CKE1M</RequestId>
<HostId>7qWZNmXvQKwMqYolVyzM0vLLCMxT4Ee5b5e1vqDJ82l+zFkJUxvXyoMM/bAA1W7sFdw/XgIaj4o=</HostId>
</Error>

Do you have a working link?
Never mind... found other links that work for various versions... Thanks :)

What do you think of vCenter Converter as a alternative emulator?
Or:

1712669703368.png

HYPER-V Which is said to be onboard Win10?

Attachments

• About Windows 10.jpg
    About Windows 10.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
A properly constructed logic diagram would have revealed this illogical fault... too bad since so many crashes occur in scene transitions leaving
the player with wasted time and frustration having to reload the whole scenario from the save prior to engagement. I hope the B15 developers have taken this into consideration, makes no sense as is.
These crashes mostly occur due to encrypted characters somehow ending up in the "options" file. According to my understanding, in B15 Hammie has solved this issue.
If this code is removed occasionally, there will be fewer crashes.

Attachments

• 1712666512286.png
    1712666512286.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 14
Indeed, as AkrimalS says deleting the options file in the game's root directory helps with solving several issues that sometimes appear. Delete that file and then start the game and go to "Options" and configure the game to your liking again, and the file will be recreated without errors. Repeating this is occasionally needed.

If you can confirm that your computer has both Intel and NVIDIA graphics, open the NVIDIA Control Panel and go to "Manage 3D settings", then "Program Settings", and select that ENGINE.exe will use "High-performance NVIDIA processor", and apply the changes.
Depending on which graphics device does the actual output to the display, this can bypass the Intel chip entirely. This can also mean that the workaround for Intel graphics chips isn't needed, but only if the NVIDIA chip can do the output, and doesn't just render the graphics and then hands it off to the Intel chip for final output.

Some computers with both Intel and NVIDIA graphics have two internal connections to the display - one for each device. In this case, selecting that a program will use the NVIDIA chip will make that chip use its own connection for the output to the display, not involving the Intel chip at all.
However, some other computers will have only the Intel chip connected to the display. In this case, selecting that a program will use the NVIDIA chip will only make that chip render the graphics, and then hand it over to the Intel chip which then does the actual output to the display. From the game's perspective the graphics were still done by an Intel chip, which means that the workaround will still be needed.

While you're there you can also set "Max Frame Rate" and "Background Application Max Frame Rate" to 60 FPS for both, and apply the changes. On older computers it might not be as likely to be a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to limit the game to 60 FPS anyway since it's not designed to go over that value.

Hopefully this helps with resolving the issues you're having. From what I can find Lenovo T61, T510, and T540p have hardware intended for Windows 7, and it seems only T540p even has drivers for Windows 10, so however Windows 10 was put on the T510 it is possible that incompatibility problems will show up. Windows 10 20H2 is also not the latest build of Windows 10. Virtualization would only put more complexity on the system and if the issues persist I would reinstall completely, including Secure Erase on the SSD and clean install of Windows, no upgrade or clone installation. Preferably with properly compatible hardware and software, but at least a clean start. But again, hopefully going that far won't be needed, and recreating the options file and possibly changing to only use the NVIDIA chip will be enough.

Great info! Thanks for the tech details... no where else can I find such excellent advice, you are a treasure! I confirm the NVIDIA presence in the Win10pro OS on the T510 and will clone onto the SSD of the T540P. I've been playing on the 510 since it is similar to the T61 I've used for the last 10 years and is more comfortable. The T540P lacks many features that make use more certain, no LED icons. Problem with the T510 is I cannot find a user manual and the seller did not provide a file of user manual with it. Lenovo, of course, does not provide archived manuals... they are not very customer friendly. While all were originally created when 7 was the only OS, that has been no problem for 10 since some back accommodations have been made in the latest revisions. Hyper-V creates the desktop files icons interface of 7 that makes a much better user interface, Play on the T510 is fantastic with NVIDIA graphics... makes the game more enjoyable. Eventually I will experiment with using a 10Pro SSD in a T61 to see if it is compatible and more familiar.

Interesting the logic revelation of the save during boarding. Is that flow logic from Akella? Not good logic. Originator may have done so to mimic reality where boarding does not allow for pausing... but due to the scene transition instability is a liability in the present situation. A clever coder should be able to tinker with the code to avoid the auto return to sailing after SAVE. That has to be a logic switch that can be easily removed without problem using the final scenario at conclusion to do the only return to sailing?

I love tinkering with code! Always looking for ways to improve efficiency, stability, and fun!

Thanks Mates!

Ron

Attachments

• About Windows 10.jpg
    About Windows 10.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
The incompatibility with Intel graphics chips actually applies to the game as a whole, from the original unmodded game all the way to Build 14. It is unknown if the incompatibility also applies to the newer engine used in Build 15. As mentioned there are workarounds that make the game somewhat playable with Intel graphics chips, but for full compatibility and performance a proper graphics processor is needed, such as NVIDIA GeForce.

Since for whatever reason the provided installation files do not work for you, I have made a configuration of the game ready to go. No install, just extract. This is a clean configuration of Build 14 with the latest updates applied over the UK version. I have included the best available workaround for the Intel graphics chip incompatibility so that the game will at least be playable. Also, I saw in another of your posts that you would like most of the storylines to not be included to reduce the total size, so I have removed them as well including their videos, leaving only "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and "Free Play". I have also removed all other languages, leaving only English.

This configuration works in my limited testing, but as mentioned since I do not have an Intel graphics chip, I cannot check if it truly does run on a computer with such a chip.

If you would like to verify the checksums after downloading the ZIP file, here they are:
Code:
CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71.zip MD5
c1 5e 26 5c 02 df f6 f9 78 33 ad dc 38 60 f7 87

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71.zip SHA1
85 5a 68 59 ea b2 1a 40 03 4c 45 de 84 12 b5 4a bd 19 20 b0

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71.zip SHA256
48 31 ba 79 63 6b 10 04 2a 76 b7 ec c5 a2 21 fb 25 69 6d 36 e8 88 bc 77 1e 39 e7 eb 77 b2 6d 28
After uploading the file I downloaded it to verify the checksums, and they match.

Just extract this ZIP file to a suitable location. Do not replace any files, and do not place the extracted contents in any of the Program Files directories.
After that, open engine.ini to set your display resolution. If you want to be able to Alt-Tab, leave full_screen = 0 the way it is. If you set your full display resolution it will appear as if in fullscreen anyway. Some however seem to have better performance in fullscreen, so in that case and if you want you can set full_screen = 1.
I have also disabled error logging as this helps with performance. If you want to enable error logging, set tracefilesoff = 0.
Then run ENGINE.exe to start the game and then go to "Options" and configure the game to your liking.
Now you can start a new game and it should work and be playable.

Hopefully this works as good as possible without any major problems. This is possibly the best bet and if it still doesn't work then unfortunately it is likely that other hardware is needed.

The ZIP file cannot remain for long so I will remove it after you have downloaded it or at most after 7 days.
I was able to install and play your British version, very delightful, but for some reason cannot find it now. Would you do me the favor of reestablishing the link to :
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Baste/CoastGuard71.zip

I've tried to recover that game but the link seems to not work now.

Would really like to get back into that game.

Thanks Mate

Ron

Belay my last matey, found my backup download of your zip and will install it on the Win10 T510 to replace the mysteriously absent game in question...

Last edited:
Interesting the logic revelation of the save during boarding. Is that flow logic from Akella? Not good logic. Originator may have done so to mimic reality where boarding does not allow for pausing... but due to the scene transition instability is a liability in the present situation. A clever coder should be able to tinker with the code to avoid the auto return to sailing after SAVE. That has to be a logic switch that can be easily removed without problem using the final scenario at conclusion to do the only return to sailing?
That is indeed how it was made by the original Akella developers. Much of the game's source code is available, but unfortunately not the source code for the engine itself used in B14. Since the implementation for saving while boarding is in the engine, nothing can be done about it. It may or may not be the same with the new engine used in B15.

About the file, this time I'm uploading two versions - one with the workaround for Intel graphics chips and one without.

The non-Intel one would have better graphics but in case it doesn't work the Intel one can be used.
I also found some more language files that I have now removed so the checksums are different than before.

Code:
CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71Intel.zip MD5
e7 d2 43 5f 24 4f a4 92 6d 74 58 e6 fb 8b 48 2c

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71Intel.zip SHA1
df a7 bc c2 16 18 f5 40 a2 85 b4 cc fa c9 eb 36 a7 d1 62 45

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71Intel.zip SHA256
c0 16 a7 e9 c9 2f 34 ae 4f 5f 47 e2 fb f2 10 0c aa 7a 86 eb 23 25 3d fa ff 12 d4 75 77 29 44 b8

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71NoIntel.zip MD5
1c 7d 92 59 a7 05 24 c3 ac ae 07 c0 b8 81 d2 d9

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71NoIntel.zip SHA1
f3 ff dd c4 67 ba 6a d2 22 f2 f4 1c 2c 67 21 d2 fe 05 2a 1b

CertUtil -hashfile CoastGuard71NoIntel.zip SHA256
df 0e a4 11 7a 15 fe f1 5c ce d2 8a 3c 69 0c 96 95 c8 19 52 8e b7 3a a6 d2 f7 73 25 76 b3 a4 1e

As before, they will only remain until you have downloaded them or at most for 7 days.

Ahhhhah! Thought the reason might be in the original coding logic, never that it was written into the engine, not a good idea. Oh well, Coder may not have considered how screen transition instability would affect play. Thanks for the revisions, downloading now, will be interesting to compare the play. The Intel version is for the T61 which has only Intel while the NVIDIA version will be a lot more enjoyable on the T510 with that graphics package!

Thanks Mr. Wizard of C

Your British game is much more enjoyable to play, also I notice the opening citation shows a 2024 version while the US still shows 2022? Seems we don't recognize the 120124 update zip file addition... does that update really make a difference in play?

Your British game is much more enjoyable to play, also I notice the opening citation shows a 2024 version while the US still shows 2022? Seems we don't recognize the 120124 update zip file addition... does that update really make a difference in play?
That shows when the contents of the ZIP file with the latest updates are applied, after using the installer and the TAR file, for both the US and UK versions. I wouldn't know how much of a difference is noticeable, but the file does contain a lot of improvements.
In case anyone would wonder, the in-game language is the same between the US and UK versions, with both using American spelling. I just use the UK version because it has an improved codebase over the US version, but that pretty much only matters when no mods are installed, and the contents are the same if the Build Mod is installed.

That shows when the contents of the ZIP file with the latest updates are applied, after using the installer and the TAR file, for both the US and UK versions. I wouldn't know how much of a difference is noticeable, but the file does contain a lot of improvements.
In case anyone would wonder, the in-game language is the same between the US and UK versions, with both using American spelling. I just use the UK version because it has an improved codebase over the US version, but that pretty much only matters when no mods are installed, and the contents are the same if the Build Mod is installed.
Off subject, but I'm desperately in need of advice. While attempting to clone my W10Pro to another drive for the bogus Win10 T540P I've tried Haselo, which I used before to clone W7 drives, but the new version shows the long arm of "MasterSoft" in that they now do not allow USB cloning (how am I supposed to clone from one SSD to another without using a USB interface?) or clone W10Pro at all. I've gone through the assortment online find no one offers a no-cost trial, other than setup, and since I've only the one copy needed refuse to pay $50US for that privilege. I tried downloading an earlier 3.6 Haselo but it too has been tagged even though it's on Netherlands pages, which should be out of the reach of Haselo (unless they link to Haselo achieves) Do you or any of your cohorts know of a reliable clone download that hasn't been corrupted by "MasterSoft"? I do have a W10Pro CD but the T540P cannot link to my net carrier for some reason, in order to perform the install, looking only for a WAN net and not finding one because it's not what I'm using. Plain 'ol public internet service provider ComCast (Xfinity) which I can get on every other Lenovo but not this 540? What is the issue with that? What do I need to reset to get to my net service provider (Public) not WAN or LAN. I've researched the net but find nothing that addresses this issue. Where in what settings is this misidentified as a WAN requiring an Ethernet cable that the trouble shooting says I need? My service uses a wireless router to the cable. The router ignores repeated attempts to lock on the 540 when I push the search button feature for connecting new computers. Thanks for the guidance, appreciate the help in getting this 540 working again.

Unfortunately I don't know of any cloning software that could suit your needs, but I would prefer to do a clean install anyway.
This would involve secure erase of the SSD with the manufacturer's software tool on a bootable USB flash drive. For example with Samsung SSDs, use their "Magician Software" on a working computer to create such a USB flash drive. Having the computer partially disassembled in order to unplug the SSD and plug it in again might be needed in case the software reports it as being in a "frozen" state.

If you do this and get a choice between "Secure Erase" and "Enhanced Secure Erase", choose the regular, not the enhanced. Regular erases, enhanced overwrites with garbage data. That could be useful in some cases, but for installing an operating system a clean drive is preferred.
SSDs should always have secure erase be performed first before installing an operating system, just like HDDs should have zero fill be performed first. This is to restore as much performance of the drive as possible.

It might be that no network drivers are available during the installation for this computer. In any case, it should be possible somewhere among the choices to install Windows 10 with a local account with no need for an Internet connection, unless Microsoft has removed that option. It was a while ago since I installed it, and they were hiding the option, but somewhere should be a choice for proceeding with a local account. Something like "I don't have Internet access", "More options", or even trying to continue with an online account, failing since there's no Internet connection, and getting presented with the option of a local, offline account. Make sure that no network cable is connected to the computer during installation, and that any wireless connection is disabled and/or unplugged. Unless they really have removed it, one of the options should allow you to proceed.

If it really doesn't work and if drivers are present, you might have to connect an Ethernet cable between your computer and router, choose to continue with an online account but enter a completely made up and nonsensical email address, have it fail because it can't connect, and then possibly be presented with the choice of an offline account.

Hmmm... actually my key issue is that somehow my T540P was configure for WAN/LAN not Public internet... as my T510 W10Pro is using. I have no clue as to how to change that choice to Public and cannot find info online that explains howto. I have a W10Pro CD install but without internet can't get it to complete. Unaware of the alternative to offline install I've not tried that. I did get the offline option offer but not knowing what issues are involved I've hesitated to use it. Once I do the W10Pro install I tried to link the "Legacy" installation but was not allowed for no explanation. I've read that any W10Pro can be activated by Legacy installation but cannot find any coherently clear directions not full of tch jargon and references to features I'm not familiar with. This whole situation is very confusing for me since this is my first try.

I took the activated W10Pro installed it in the T540P, booted, and get internet! So what about the the situation with the W7Pro boot that only looks for WAN/LAN ETHERNET CABLE AND CANNOT WORK BECAUSE MY SERVICE IS PUBLIC? Where in the W7Pro program is the setup for internet service that locks choice? I cannot find info online about how to configure what must be in the program, not BIOS, and how to select Public service. Nothing provided by the vendor gives me direction and they have no techies on staff to troubleshoot this issue. Do you or anyone you know have this knowledge and can guide me setting it right?

I have a new Samsung 500GB SSD ready to install the W10PRO and the W10Pro CD but that's where I'm stuck. I will explore the offline installation since I knew nothing about it until your mention. Still. I would feel more comfortable having this internet issue solved before going on. I know from my experiment it's in the program, but where, and how do I get to it?

Appreciate the help. I'm baffled and really tired of dealing with MS stupidity.

I personally prefer to have an offline, local account. An online account potentially connects your activity to Microsoft and even if you don't do anything questionable I don't think others should have any information about what you do with your computer.

I would try to install with an offline, local account, and then in "Network and Sharing Center" and then "Change adapter settings" check if Windows even detects a wireless network adapter. If not, then install the drivers and see if it is possible to connect then.
This seems to be the available drivers for that model: laptops and netbooks :: thinkpad t series laptops :: thinkpad t540pcontentdetail - Lenovo Support US
For wireless network, it seems some units of that model have Intel adapters and some have Realtek adapters.

If it turns out it is possible to connect then, that would mean it's not possible during installation because the driver is missing.

Unfortunately I don't know of any cloning software that could suit your needs, but I would prefer to do a clean install anyway.
This would involve secure erase of the SSD with the manufacturer's software tool on a bootable USB flash drive. For example with Samsung SSDs, use their "Magician Software" on a working computer to create such a USB flash drive. Having the computer partially disassembled in order to unplug the SSD and plug it in again might be needed in case the software reports it as being in a "frozen" state.

If you do this and get a choice between "Secure Erase" and "Enhanced Secure Erase", choose the regular, not the enhanced. Regular erases, enhanced overwrites with garbage data. That could be useful in some cases, but for installing an operating system a clean drive is preferred.
SSDs should always have secure erase be performed first before installing an operating system, just like HDDs should have zero fill be performed first. This is to restore as much performance of the drive as possible.

It might be that no network drivers are available during the installation for this computer. In any case, it should be possible somewhere among the choices to install Windows 10 with a local account with no need for an Internet connection, unless Microsoft has removed that option. It was a while ago since I installed it, and they were hiding the option, but somewhere should be a choice for proceeding with a local account. Something like "I don't have Internet access", "More options", or even trying to continue with an online account, failing since there's no Internet connection, and getting presented with the option of a local, offline account. Make sure that no network cable is connected to the computer during installation, and that any wireless connection is disabled and/or unplugged. Unless they really have removed it, one of the options should allow you to proceed.

If it really doesn't work and if drivers are present, you might have to connect an Ethernet cable between your computer and router, choose to continue with an online account but enter a completely made up and nonsensical email address, have it fail because it can't connect, and then possibly be presented with the choice of an offline account.

Finally solved the problem with MiniTool Partition Wizard v9.1. It was something in the program! I've cloned the working W10pro from the T510 and am now using.
I appreciate your help in getting this system restored and I agree that MS is too intrusive and manipulative, both signs of a monopolistic entity. Why our government's FTC has not taken action to break up this monster is a reflection on the Republican Political party's role as the protector of "Big Business" to the detriment of we little people citizens. Oh well, it is what it is and we must find ways to work around these overlord issues. All is well now and I'm looking forward to opening B15 and seeing just how much better it is.

Thanks again Mate,

Ron

Back