• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

B14v22 troubles

Storms generated with Weather Settings chance for storms set to 0... what gives?
storms with InternalSettings storm chance set 0.jpg
WeatherGenerateValues c set=0.jpg

So... what's going on? Code not what's in the Program executing?

Last edited:
Storms on the worldmap are presumably not affected by that code in "WhrGenerateValues.c". Have a look in "PROGRAM\Worldmap" - perhaps "worldmap_globals.c" or "worldmap_encgen.c" contain something useful.

Another question would be, why is there a report of Greek fire hitting a ship in that last screenshot? Only one ship should be using that, it's not in your fleet, and it shouldn't be sailing around as an independent ship.

Of course, if you've been modifying core game files, it's not too surprising if odd things are happening!

The modes are consistent with valid variable ranges, not significant to code function.

Storms on the sailing chart are as I've removed them in past versions successfully. Storm-free adventures!)

I'm now playing Dec 2019 version which has the bug that sinking a ship causes a "freeze crash" which can only be exited by C-A-D (ctrl-alt-delete)
Hoping someone with coding expertise can solve this riddle and restore sinkings to previous versions that did not crash the program: Anyone recognize an error? What is different from former versions where sinkings did not crash program? Why is System trying to load shot?
B14v19 May2018 sink ship freeze.jpg
Sinking ship freese frame error.jpg
Sinking ship system fault freeze frame.jpg

Storms on the worldmap are presumably not affected by that code in "WhrGenerateValues.c". Have a look in "PROGRAM\Worldmap" - perhaps "worldmap_globals.c" or "worldmap_encgen.c" contain something useful.

Another question would be, why is there a report of Greek fire hitting a ship in that last screenshot? Only one ship should be using that, it's not in your fleet, and it shouldn't be sailing around as an independent ship.

Of course, if you've been modifying core game files, it's not too surprising if odd things are happening!
Actually I haven't modified game core at all... and you haven't played "Free Play" have you... as I asked you to do. Our conversations are at an end until such time as you have actually played "Free Play" Julian and tell me again that you don't experience these issues. Greek fire has been showing in every version I've played... probably specific to old code in Free Play which you have no experience in. As my example showed I alter the variables assigned to what is in the Program... if you are only playing a sub-Program you are not using the same code I am, apparently Just as I guessed, the code for historical and theme games are sub-program mods that affect the program when coders alter the main to make it compatible. My zeroing the WhrGenerateValues.c has had the effect that Free Play has not been plagued with overblown storms, only some rain showers from time to time... wonder why if that value table is an artifact and not functional... I also do not experience Tornados(?), again, when have you ever played "Free Play"?
Play it now and send me a screen-shot showing your ship (v22) in Antigua and exiting by direct sail, then a map shot showing your ship outside - not inside.
Perhaps Free Play was an original scenario and the Program code for it is in, and functional, Program while the games you play are add-ons ? for which specific functional subprograms had to be created for the special scenarios. Use my 0 modifiers for your play of Free Play and tell me they don't prevent storms on either map.

BTW, I'm a FORTRAN programmer, not C, C+, or C++... I follow program logic and make no attempt to change code since I can only see results of values assigned and do not understand the effect of programming words and phrases and do not know the formatting required. I do understand If/Then switches no matter the language used. Something in the Free Play program is antiquated hence the "Greek fire" which I have never understood but have no idea where it comes from or how to remove it... just like "Knipples" being not loaded causing a crash. Since no one with this programming skill has seen fit to review the Free Play code I'm not surprised that a lot of outdated code remains in play and causing crashes. Everyone seems to only have interest in adding historical and specialized subroutines to the Program body of code further complicating play of existing legacy programs. What ship in what module uses Greek Fire? what is it doing in Free Play? why has no one bothered to investigate and remove it? Does anyone maintain this module... appears not. Ask someone who has the skills and familiar with Free Play to review that module, play the game and trouble shoot these faults that keep appearing. Neglect of side effects when you mode the Program core to add a new scenario or feature should be of concern. Right?

Thanks Mate

Last edited:
Actually I haven't modified game core at all... and you haven't played "Free Play" have you... as I asked you to do. Our conversations are at an end until such time as you have actually played "Free Play" Julian and tell me again that you don't experience these issues. Greek fire has been showing in every version I've played... probably specific to old code in Free Play which you have no experience in. As my example showed I alter the variables assigned to what is in the Program... if you are only playing a sub-Program you are not using the same code I am, apparently Just as I guessed, the code for historical and theme games are sub-program mods that affect the program when coders alter the main to make it compatible. My zeroing the WhrGenerateValues.c has had the effect that Free Play has not been plagued with overblown storms, only some rain showers from time to time... wonder why if that value table is an artifact and not functional... I also do not experience Tornados(?), again, when have you ever played "Free Play"?
Play it now and send me a screen-shot showing your ship (v22) in Antigua and exiting by direct sail, then a map shot showing your ship outside - not inside.
Perhaps Free Play was an original scenario and the Program code for it is in, and functional, Program while the games you play are add-ons ? for which specific functional subprograms had to be created for the special scenarios. Use my 0 modifiers for your play of Free Play and tell me they don't prevent storms on either map.

BTW, I'm a FORTRAN programmer, not C, C+, or C++... I follow program logic and make no attempt to change code since I can only see results of values assigned and do not understand the effect of programming words and phrases and do not know the formatting required. I do understand If/Then switches no matter the language used. Something in the Free Play program is antiquated hence the "Greek fire" which I have never understood but have no idea where it comes from or how to remove it... just like "Knipples" being not loaded causing a crash. Since no one with this programming skill has seen fit to review the Free Play code I'm not surprised that a lot of outdated code remains in play and causing crashes. Everyone seems to only have interest in adding historical and specialized subroutines to the Program body of code further complicating play of existing legacy programs. What ship in what module uses Greek Fire? what is it doing in Free Play? why has no one bothered to investigate and remove it? Does anyone maintain this module... appears not. Ask someone who has the skills and familiar with Free Play to review that module, play the game and trouble shoot these faults that keep appearing. Neglect of side effects when you mode the Program core to add a new scenario or feature should be of concern. Right?

Thanks Mate
I started Free Play as Julian and did not find any problems with coordinates in Antigua.
Reinstall the game correctly.
1) First you need to install the original POTC game.
2)Then download the archive and installer:
1. Archive :
2. Installer :
The installer will unpack the top archive into the folder you need. There is no need to unpack the archive into a folder yourself.
3) Next, you need to download the latest patches on the first page
In this case, here is the latest update: https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_120124.zip
These corrections need to be replaced with a replacement in the game folder!

Do you mean the zip file opened in the target folder? You are playing Beyond, not B14v22? Those are two different programs...right? Try v22...
Yep... just what I did 12 times with the same result every time. Did you download v22 from the link or are you using an already installed program or the Beyond (B15) game? I downloaded B14v22 from the link in the forum... is that what you used? Any chance that link is to a corrupted download? Why am I getting such issues as I've documented? Obviously the download was corrupted, but how? I have the original Akella 2003 2-disk file archived, and when I activate my file it boots and asks me to insert CD1 and start.... sound familiar? I've installed every version since 2016 this way successfully and had a playable game which I've been playing sequentially until v22 when everything has gone bonkers!

I really have no interest for installing Beyond (B15) until I have confidence in the program presented in v22. There is a disconnect somewhere and I need to resolve that before I jump to the next level. I've given up on v22 since the program installed is obviously corrupted and unplayable at my end. First time for such a failure with a totally new installer package, as I've been told, and restructuring of the program that has resulted in an unplayable download. Has anyone checked the download for a virus? I'm speculating on why this issue has suddenly appeared when the past multiple revision installations have always resulted in playable, but buggy, games. There is a reason for this happening and it's not the installation, which has worked every instance prior... right? So, what is it about this program or installer that is different? In the last few revisions sinking a ship results in screen freeze crash due to calls to unsupported abandoned files that result in Do-Loop failures.

Okay, I'll try once more to install, but I want a different download link than what is on the forum just to rule out that source for this problem. Is there an archive where the original download versions are available? Should be... right? Again, I archived the original Akella CD download and it is intact, not corrupted. When I put the file folder in the target file in the past that resulted in working play. This time the folder is NOT recognized by the installer. only when the file contents is opened in the target file does the installer recognize it and perform. Why? This should not make a difference in the result... right? However, I found issues like the 2004 sea.dll does not work and must be removed for game play. Some step is corrupting the download so that images are not installed, as shown, and, likewise, calls are not finding files. You have playable games... where did you get the download, same as me? We use the same Win7Pro OS, so where is the difference that explains the fault? I have run several anti-virus soft wares on my drive with nothing found. This issue is probably in the code or installer. Where else?

Last edited:
more Antigua position issues with another download from same source...
Muscetto Cove Antigua view.jpg
Muscetto Cove Antigua Map view dislocation.jpg

Okay? Now best guess as to why? Both images of ship's location do nor match... any ideas? I've even used a different SSD for this attempt to rule out resident virus corruption. Save f5 function results in "Bad Save" Also "TAB" changes view to on deck telescope or gunner's glass view... sailing chart view does not lock chart... ship is centered, world whirls around. Beginning in Spiegtstown saves are good and normal. but once underway no save is good. remember this is the same result on a different SSD and download from the same link.

Last edited:
b14_beta4_final.tar is result of link: Build 14 FINAL Part 2: Contents Archive file - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean is not a zip file
and not Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive which is the zipped .tar for installation. right? When that link is activated the b14_beta4_final.tar is reached and if downloaded is rejected by the installer... now what is going on? Where is Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive ? I downloaded it previously used it by inserting the zipped file into the target folder and got the installer to work... producing the defective game I've shown issues with above. Now...WHERE IS THE CORRECT CONTENTS ARCHIVE ZIPPED FILE NEEDED TO INSTALL THIS PROGRAM? WHY IS b14_beta4_final.tar THE LINK NOW BEING DELIVERED WHICH IS NOT THE CORRECT .TAR ARCHIVE WE WERE TOLD TO USE?
CAN'T WE GET THESE ISSUES STRAIGHT? WHAT AM I MISSING? WHERE IS: Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive ?

The current, correct links are for the installer, contents archive and update are to be found here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 12th January 2024]
Those are the files which I use, and probably so do almost everyone playing Build 14.

In which folder did you put the installer, and in which folder did you put the contents archive? In which folder are you installing the game?

Actually I haven't modified game core at all... and you haven't played "Free Play" have you... as I asked you to do.
In fact, I've played many a FreePlay in the past, including some in which I completed "Angelique Moulin's Father" by sailing to Muscetto Cove to collect Francis Drake's sword. True, I very rarely play as Julian McAllister, though that doesn't matter because the worldmap code doesn't take account of your name or even the storyline. However, just this once:
julian.jpg

Starting from Nevis, I direct-sailed to Antigua:
map_after_direct_sail.jpg

There's no point in showing a screenshot of the shore itself because it proves nothing - the same location model is used for several beaches. Nevertheless, I went ashore at Muscetto Cove, then back to sea, then checked the worldmap again:
muscetto.jpg map_after_shore.jpg

By the way, if you're going to include screenshots, please do what I did - insert them as thumbnails, not as full images.

So... where is the file "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive"... not in ModDB which has a Build14 Beta4 final .tar file linked!
Can't run another "Trial and Error" experiment without the correct software module.... right?

What settings do you use, @Grey Roger?
Might just make things easier if I do the same.
Pieter-
I'm running into a problem getting "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" to continue to retry installing and running B14v22. The link to DB Mod
gives b14_beta4_final.tar which is not the correct zipped .tar file for this installation. I've made several complaints to various modders with no action to correct this. I've asked that the link call be redirected to the correct file... until this is done I can do nothing and will turn to doing my 23 taxes using H&R Block for entertainment... see what you can do... you have the POWER!

Bedankt

Pieter-
I'm running into a problem getting "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive" to continue to retry installing and running B14v22. The link to DB Mod
gives b14_beta4_final.tar which is not the correct zipped .tar file for this installation. I've made several complaints to various modders with no action to correct this. I've asked that the link call be redirected to the correct file... until this is done I can do nothing and will turn to doing my 23 taxes using H&R Block for entertainment... see what you can do... you have the POWER!

Bedankt
Watch this video and you may be able to install this game correctly...

So... where is the file "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive"... not in ModDB which has a Build14 Beta4 final .tar file linked!
Can't run another "Trial and Error" experiment without the correct software module.... right?
That is the correct file.

Pieter-
"b14_beta4_final.tar" is correct. You should not unzip it yourself, the installer will do that provided that the installer and the contents archive are in the same folder as each other.

Been installing game modules correctly for the last 12 attempts... all with the same results posted. since dropping Edge and using Firefox I was able to run the 2CD Akella downloading the game into a folder which when opened I found the same files I've used from my archived Akella file years ago... no change. This time the zipped .tar folder is not linked in DB Mod where the link is to b_14_beta4_final.tar not the correct file. No one seems to know this and without the correct zipped Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive can do nothing more. Are you actually replicating the actions of a gamer by downloading the files, creating the folder and using the installer? Or, are you using the insider developer versions of all these files? Any chance some corruption takes place in the files or in the downloading... such huge files prone to download dropouts. I've documented the issues... explain them... installation has been repeated according to direction multiple times with the same result... consistent, why?
Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is irrational. Start a little trouble-shooting with the same source downloads we gamers must use and see if you still get the clean play you are having... I'd like to know what is different between your install and mine.

Have Fun!)

That is the correct file.

"b14_beta4_final.tar" is correct. You should not unzip it yourself, the installer will do that provided that the installer and the contents archive are in the same folder as each other.
IT IS NOT A ZIPPED FILE... IT IS A ".TAR" FILE Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive IS A ZIPPED FILE AND I NEVER EXTRACT IT SINCE THE INSTALLER DOES THAT... PER INSTRUCTIONS! A .TAR FILE CANNOT BE UNZIPPED BECAUSE IT IS NOT ZIPPED !!!

WHEN I INSTALLED THIS .TAR BOGUS FILE IN THE GAME FOLDER THE INSTALLER REJECTED IT AND DID NOT WORK. WONDER WHY? I WAS ABLE TO LINK TO Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive IN ALL PAST ATTEMPTS, NEVER UNZIPPED IT, PER INSTRUCTION, INSTALLER INSTALLED IT AND THE GAME OPENED. SO, WHERE IS "Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive"... DIRECT ME TO IT AND I'LL MAKE THAT PROMISED ONE-MORE ATTEMPT TO INSTALL A WORKING GAME THAT IS NOT PLAGUED WITH ERRORS THAT I'VE DOCUMENTED.

FAIR ENOUGH?

THANKS FOR THE HELP

The current, correct links are for the installer, contents archive and update are to be found here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 12th January 2024]
Those are the files which I use, and probably so do almost everyone playing Build 14.

In which folder did you put the installer, and in which folder did you put the contents archive? In which folder are you installing the game?

In fact, I've played many a FreePlay in the past, including some in which I completed "Angelique Moulin's Father" by sailing to Muscetto Cove to collect Francis Drake's sword. True, I very rarely play as Julian McAllister, though that doesn't matter because the worldmap code doesn't take account of your name or even the storyline. However, just this once:
View attachment 44042

Starting from Nevis, I direct-sailed to Antigua:
View attachment 44043

There's no point in showing a screenshot of the shore itself because it proves nothing - the same location model is used for several beaches. Nevertheless, I went ashore at Muscetto Cove, then back to sea, then checked the worldmap again:
View attachment 44045 View attachment 44044

By the way, if you're going to include screenshots, please do what I did - insert them as thumbnails, not as full images.
Okay, I didn't thumb them to ensure the detail of the position was visible since it is key to appreciating the disconnect between the two represented positions in the play . For instance in the thumb shown you cannot see the ship position. Can thumb be enlarged to view that important fact? Without pixels degrading the image clarity? I've not tried... didn't realize you guys need to conserve file size. As long as the issue is demonstrable I'll use thumbs... okay?

Watch this video and you may be able to install this game correctly...
As I've said each and every time this is cited... IT IS NOT THE INSTALL... I'VE BEEN INSTALLING SINCE 2016... I CREATE A FILE PUT IN THE AKELLA FOLDER (THIS INSTALLER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE FOLDER AND SAYS SO WHEN ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL) TRY IT YOURSELF FOR PROOF. I OPEN THE AKELLA FOLDER COPY CONTENTS INTO THE FILE (WHICH THIS INSTALLER CAN FIND THE ORIGINAL GAME) I THEN COPY THE FILE
Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive A ZIP FILE INTO THE FOLDER, I NEXT COPY THE ZIPPED 1JAN24 UPDATES, UNZIP IT INSIDE THE GAME FOLDER, PER INSTRUCTIONS, I HAVE BOTH INSTALLED THE PART 1 INSTALLER IN THE FILE AND OUTSIDE THE FILE SINCE IT'S SAID THE INSTALLER DOESN'T NEED TO BE INSIDE, AND I HAVE FOUND THAT TRUE BY OPENING THE INSTALLER, GOTTEN THE COMPASS ICON CLICKED IT AND IT DOES THE JOB WHEN I DESIGNATE THE TARGET FOLDER BY DIRECTING THE ACTION TO THE GAME FOLDER OR INSIDE THE FOLDER I STILL HAVE TO DIRECT THE ACTION TO THE FOLDER BY NAME. WHEN THE AKELLA FOLDER IS PRESENT BUT NOT OPEN FILES THE INSTALL IS REJECTED SINCE THE AKELLA GAME CANNOT BE FOUND. WHEN THE AKELLA FOLDER CONTENTS IS COPIED INTO THE FILE THE GAME IS FOUND AND INSTALLATION CONDUCTED. WITH THE BOGUS b14_beta4_final.tar THE INSTALLER REJECTS THIS AND DEMANDS THE Build 14 Final Part 2: Contents Archive BE INSTALLED AND SHUTS DOWN. PAST INSTALLATIONS WITH THE CORRECT ZIPPED CONTENTS ARCHIVE IS PRESENT, AS IN ALL PAST TRIES, THE GAME IS INSTALLED. NOW I CHALLENGE YOU TO DUPLICATE WHAT I'VE DONE A DOZEN TIMES AND TELL ME THAT b14_beta4_final.tar IS THE CORRECT FILE AND THAT YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE GAME USING IT AND THAT THE GAME PLAYS WITH NONE OF THE ISSUES I'VE DOCUMENTED. I'VE DONE EVERYTHING AT MY END TO RULE OUT WHAT I HAVE CONTROL OVER... I CAN'T DO YOUR JOB FOR YOU. DID ANYONE ACTUALLY BETA-TEST THIS CODE BEFORE PUBLICATION? HAS ANYONE TESTED THE PROCESS FOR DOWNLOADING, STAGING, AND INSTALLING THE GAME SUCCESSFULLY? IF YOU CAN AND DO THEN SOMEWHERE IN THE TRANSMISSION DROP-OUTS OR CORRUPTIONS ARE TAKING PLACE. AT MY END SEVERAL MALWARE SCANS HAVE SHOWN NOTHING, MY OS IS COMPARABLE TO GREY ROGER'S, I'VE COMPLIED WITH THE INSTALLATION STEPS AND SHOWN YOU THE ISSUES I'VE FOUND WHILE RUNNING THIS GAME VERSION... HAVE A BETTER EXPLANATION? AS SAID I'VE BEEN INSTALLING AND RUNNING VERSIONS SINCE 2016... I'M NOT A NEWBIE... SO STOP FALLING BACK ON THE EASY "HERE'S HOW TO INSTALL" DISMISSAL... DO YOU WANT TO SOLVE THIS? IS NO ONE ELSE LIKEWISE COMPLAINING OF ISSUES WITH THE GAME. WITH THE SHIP SINKING FREEZE OF THE VERSIONS SINCE 2018 AND THE CALLS TO INSTALL ITEMS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN PLAY CAUSING THE FREEZE I SUSPECT LOOSE CODE CROSS LINKING INTO TIME OUT DO-LOOPS.

1. THE CONTENTS ARCHIVE ZIP FILE MUST BE SEARCHED FOR, FOUND, AND SET AS THE LINK TARGET NOT THE CURRENT .TAR FILE... RIGHT?
2. INSTALLATION PROTOCOL IS NOT THE ISSUE CAUSING THE CODE-BASED ERRORS I'VE FOUND AND DOCUMENTED.
3. TO VALIDATE THE CODE AND INSTALLATION, START FROM THE BEGINNING, DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM ELEMENTS FROM THOSE LINKS LISTED ON THE WEBPAGE... USING A PROGRAM YOU'VE BEEN USING TO DEVELOP CODE IS NOT THE SAME AS THE CODE POSTED FOR OTHERS MANY UNINTENDED FAULTS CAN HAPPEN TO CORRUPT MODULES AND SUB-PROGRAMS RESULTING IN WHAT I'VE SEEN.
4. USE A CHECK-SUM METHOD OF VALIDATING CODE, WORKS TO REVEAL ANY CORRUPTION AND HAS BEEN AN INDUSTRY STANDARD.
5. RUN THE OFFERED PROGRAM AS A NEW GAME FROM THE SOURCES PROVIDED TO VALIDATE THAT PROCESS.

THESE ARE COMMON-SENSE AND INDUSTRY QA/QC STANDARDS... EXCEPT FOR MICROSOFT... RIGHT?

Bon Voyage Mates (One for all, all for one)

Back