• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Single-Player Adventure Game

I think that we could have HoO finished faster than it would take to completely overhaul the game, complete with replaced models and animations.

I'm gonna haft to say, no other naval game can you mid sail walk around the deck of your ship, climb up into the birds nest, and go into your ships cabin while out in the open sea. Anchor at a cove or beach then go ashore. The audio effects in the game are top notch and very immersive along with the atmosphere going off of AC3.

What you will haft to get passed if you want to enjoy the game is that it is a AC game. You know it has elements that would be very cool in a sandbox naval exploration game, specifically set in the age of piracy were you could create your own role. Era accurate vessels, more realistic ship functions and more available options for whatever role you want to play in the carribean.

But it simply is just not that game, as of course some of you have stated and of course are correct in. However, if you can take AC4 Black Flag for what it is I think some of you could really enjoy it. Then again, you know maybe you won't, but fact is their is not a game with the kind of seamless freedom and after playing AC 3 on PC I am pretty excited about it.

I really hope Snowbird's Carribean!'s beta starts soon to quinch my appetite as I will dump hours of my free time into the game if it turns out good, I have hopes.

By the way, Patrice Desilets, the man who came up with the original idea for Assassin's Creed and directed the first two but left for Brohood, Rev and 3, has returned to Ubisoft, so hopefully they'll suddenly remember how to write interesting characters and a plot that isn't dire beyond belief.

By the way, Patrice Desilets, the man who came up with the original idea for Assassin's Creed and directed the first two but left for Brohood, Rev and 3, has returned to Ubisoft, so hopefully they'll suddenly remember how to write interesting characters and a plot that isn't dire beyond belief.

I loved the first two games, but I always felt Brotherhood and Revelations were seriously lacking.

"It’s not easy, he adds. “It takes a very talented team, a lot of experience, and great tech. It’s one thing having good naval combat, but combining that with good boarding and land-based gameplay in a seamless way is hard to do.”

Man they better come through on the seamless part, that is too hype for me to be let down with come release. I only completed the first AC game, AC 2 was good, but I never got a chance at finishing the game. I never did play Brotherhood or Revelations and I am just now working on finishing AC 3.

None of the games are bad, but with Patrice Desilets back, I hope their will be less scripted missions, more freeform to taking out your targets like in the first game (or the second?) like they are saying. I would like to sail from one main city to another, stalk a target down and if I fail or decide not to kill said target that he could possibly board a ship, take sail and I could then board my own ship to pursue. That is probably not going to happen outside of a set scripted mission, but less hand holding would be nice.

I would like to be told, "said target is traveling from point A to be B", where point A is one area and point B is another area completey seperated by water. So you have a target seamlessly boarding onto a ship and traveling from A to B, in which you are able to either kill said target at A or B or inbetween.

In other news, Ubisoft has a internal team of 7 studio's working on the game with a total of nearly 1000 people. That is wow, if that is in fact true, that could be really good or bad since some of the studio's are likely not even in the same state. It would be nice if the entire game was being developed (or most of it) under one roof.

In other news, Ubisoft has a internal team of 7 studio's working on the game with a total of nearly 1000 people. That is wow, if that is in fact true, that could be really good or bad since some of the studio's are likely not even in the same state. It would be nice if the entire game was being developed (or most of it) under one roof.
Wasn't AC3's naval part developed in Asia or something?

1,000 people? That sounds excessive. Valve only has 300-350 people in one building, but they have not produced anything in years.

Lo folks, just sticking my head up again briefly. I had wondered after playing AC3 whether the naval side of it might make a larger appearance and here we are. Generally I enjoy the AC games. They have their flaws, as do every game without exception but the overall experience is enjoyable. I do think though that many of you are looking at AC IV as a rival to the work you do here and that isn't the right stance to take.
I work in a book shop, and unless you were hiding under a rock all through 2012 the '50 Shades of Grey' title will at some point have come up in conversation or you'll have stumbled across it in your local bookshop, you couldn't miss it, it was everywhere. It was also without doubt one of the worst pieces of literature of the last ten years. However what it did do was get people into bookshops, it got people talking about literature and the sales of it kept many bookshops that would have closed in business for another year.

The Assassin's Creed franchise has a massive following and if even a tiny fraction of them play AC IV and decide they want to know more about the period in history, or want to play a pirate game with more realism, or different pirate games then the odds are they are going to find their way here. You need to decide how to deal with that. You can either continue looking down your noses at anything that doesn't match up to your standards or open your doors to a wave of people who are going to be interested in and wanting to know more about a genre you love. This is the first big, and by big I mean HUGE, pirates game to be released in a while. This is going to be plastered across magazines, bus stops, expo's, shops and websites. Use that.

Frenchie

I think you're absolutely right. AC IV will generate a huge interest in the genre for the first time since the PotC films, even if it has historical flaws.
People will inevitably end up here due to this interest, so we need to be ready to offer them something great as an alternative (but not a rival).

I ended up here for both Carribean! and AC 4,

Well this is interesting,

"You'll need to upgrade the 60m long Jackdaw as you progress, from six cannons up to 56, and by adding mortars, explosive mines, swivel guns and even a diving bell"

6 cannons and he is the most notable pirate in the game? Little disappointed with 56 being the max, it seems like the Aquila held more then that but I could be wrong, haft to look again. However, serously 6 cannons? lol? I know the Aquila started out with more then 6 cannons, s***.

Now the most interesting to me,

"You can run across the rooftops of British-controlled Kingston, leap down onto your boat, the Jackdaw, and take her out of harbour onto the open sea"

Source: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1298332/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-first-look which means nothing at all. I will haft to dig to find out if this is true, because I do know and I quote "The 3 main cities have load times". However, I do not see it not being true, because if it were false then the whole "seamless" thing would kind of be thrown out.

Oh also galleons hold 100 cannons apiece in the game from what the article says, I can't honestly say I know how many cannons a galleon generaly holds in real life and in most naval games. A question for you all, or something I will haft to research myself.

well hey at least they are being somewhat realistic starting with 6 cannons on the player ship. gives the player more of a challenge too. A successful pirate ship has the speed to overtake merchant vessels and escape naval vessels, taking on naval vessels in a full out battle generally was a very bad idea for a pirate. good find of the article-neat to see that whaling and fort bombardment might be included.

Wow ignoring anything to do with cannons in my previous post, I have played naval games from Sid Meier's Pirates!, AoS, AoP 1-2, PotC and watched every pirate & naval film out their at one point or the other. So i'm not a complete newb, I just was way off on the numbers.

56 cannons is a ass ton for the size of the Jackdaw, the HMS Sovereign held a unheard of 102 cannons from 1638 until 1697 according to wiki. A large frigate in Sid Meier's held 40 cannons, a regular frigate held 32. I mean the ship of the line in the game only held 48. So 100 cannons on a galleon in AC4 would be about right I guess given that the Jackdaw holds 56. That is 23 cannons on a broad size, that is killer.

In other news, Blackbeard is going to feature with his own version of Pimp My Ride in AC4 for the Jackdaw customization.

That was a joke I read somewhere else and had a good laugh.

Sorry for not responding to your post fully! Nothing personal or to do with what you posted, I just cant really comment on a 2 decked brig nearly 200 feet long and mounts 56 guns(along with mortars, explosive mines, and a diving bell) without being more than a bit of a realism snob:p and I've already done plenty of that in this thread already.

Well, there are historical references to both 50-gun brigs and two-decked brigs.

For 50-guns we have the Chilean Brigantine Aquila, which originally was a 16-gun brig and was converted to 50 by the spanish, though I can't imagine those guns were ever of very high caliber.
Though I cannot verify the source entirely as its a chilean book written in spanish, and can't seem to find any digital publications of it.

For two-decks I did found references to at least two ships.
"Tidewater Triumph: The Development and Worldwide Success of the Chesapeake Bay" makes refence to an american build two-decked brig named Isabella built in 1797 for baltimore merchants.
The Danish Brig Admiral Yawl, was also an unusual brig, with its 28 guns spread accross two decks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_2_March_1808

However, all these ships seem to date to around pretty late 18th century to early 19th =/

Are we confusing unlikely with impossible? Look at the Antikythera mechanism: A clockwork mechanism dated to the 1st century BC the likes of which weren't seen again for another 1400 years?

Just because the upgrades hinted about are mentioned doesn't mean you have to use them. If you want to keep more in line with realism don't upgrade your ship to the max, use it with 20 - 30 guns or whatever handicap you want. Play the game as you want it to be. Personally I found the crafting system and upgrade system in AC3 a pain in the ass, I tend to just play the game as it is without too much hassle.

Frenchie

Ps: Is it worth splitting this thread up or even starting a separate sub forum for the game? We're covering a range of topics in this thread each of which are worth discussion in it's own right. (Plot, ships, game mechanics, artwork, etc)

I was wondering when someone would mention the Admiral Jawl;) However just because there were examples of two decked brigs doesnt make this one realistic. The Jackdaw is still 10 feet longer than the HMS Victory, for one. No amount not upgrading can make it realistic, though it would help I suppose. Not saying it wont be a fun game, and this is exactly why I didn't want to comment on the jackdaw, because I knew there would be backlash about my critisicing the lack of realism. and I agree we should tone down our critisicm of it, its just very hard not to critisice the jackdaw when it is specifically brought up in that manner. So enough about the Jackdaw

Back