• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Single-Player Adventure Game

Listen, I get that the game is arcadey, and on the on foot stealth sections are fairly lengthy and boring. I get that the game's story is borderline downright silly, and I understand that you are confined to one ship, with limited time in said ship.

...but guys... you can get your crew to SING SEA SHANTIES TO YOU.

...also, I gotta admit I had way more fun riding out those vicious storms then I did sneaking around as an assassin pirate.

Just snatched this game up last week at a hefty 75% discount! And I'm loving it more than I thought I would!

Sure, its no sail simulator as people have pointed out, and does have some silly things like rams(I have not purchased a single ram upgrade, I refuse!!!), but what it lacks for in realism it makes up for in atmosphere, and it's postively dripping with it!
My most favorite part in the game is boarding action, its like no other game I have played or even heard of. To actually step away from your wheel and throw yourself over to an enemy ship in realtime without loading screens is really something, as is freely being able to scale the masts and rigging of "any" ship.
I even went as far as to sail up and block the path of another ship than then rush up my mast and jump over, landing on the other ships bowsprit, all seamlessly without even activating anything I was really impressed with that.

Its a shame Ubisoft is too invested in their Assassin's Creed series, because they definitely have the parts here to actually make a "real" standalone pirate and sail game like none other.
In fact, originally they were experimenting with realistic sailing mechanics such as tacking and the likes to get around, but found it too boring and frustrating... which I can understand as the AC series IS a hardcore action game series, and more realistic naval combat would probably be pretty jarring to long time fans of the franchise, and the sudden change of pace between the land and sea portions of the game.

But yeah definitely loving this, and see it more as a Pirates of the Caribbean type adventure than a Master & Commander type adventure.

Valid points. I always figured that they had a great game on their hands with AC 4.
There was just no particular need to shoehorn it into the AC franchise. It has the making for an incredible stand-alone game.
Imagine having AC 4 without the fast-paced and modern elements, but with PotC's arcade/realism mode instead and moddable.
Holy crap! We'd never even have needed to start on HoO then! :shock

There was just no particular need to shoehorn it into the AC franchise. It has the making for an incredible stand-alone game.
Viewed as AC game, though, it's pretty good. It's just not a sailing simulator of any kind. Nor a credible portrayal of Age of Sail in general. But it's fun ... and had anybody mentioned shanties already? ;)

The weather effects are also something to die for. :)
Seeing water wash over and run off the deck in the storm, or the rain soaking the wood! And yes the shanties be awesome!

Edit: Ooooooh my 1000th post!!!

Valid points. I always figured that they had a great game on their hands with AC 4.
Imagine having AC 4 without the fast-paced and modern elements, but with PotC's arcade/realism mode instead and moddable.
Holy crap! We'd never even have needed to start on HoO then! :shock

They are well aware of the kind of game we want. They had their chance, now it is our turn!
VXJ7JSk.gif

Currently watching this video:

Not bad!
A lot of that goodness, I didn't quite pick up on during my playthrough.
Or I did and I forgot.

Either way, good to remind me of the GOOD of this game again.
To balance my otherwise critical opinion of it.

Also, I made a "#ac4-black-flag" channel on our Join the PiratesAhoy! Discord Server!

Back